Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 11:47 AM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Don't be so quick to give enlisted a black eye.

https://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/new...-231333-1.html

So I'm giving enlisted personnel a black eye, because historically they haven't had access to pilot training programs? I didn't make the rules.

There has always been limited access programs that create an exception from time to time. The quoted article is such an example. But throughout the history of military aviation, pilots predominantly have been officers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 12:16 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I have worked with a bunch of pilots that were ex truck drivers. Your statement is just ignorant.

I don't know why ex mil guys get put on a pedestal, they are as a whole just average as compared to someone who worked their way up the civilian route. By far the best stick and rudder folks were actually blue collar guys in a past life who flew night freight to build time.
Come on, I know that. But you and I both know how the industry works. Your former truck driver, with no college degree, flies boxes in a Navajo for 2,000 hours. A degreed Air Force pilot with 2,000 hours in jets. Both apply to Delta. Both receive an interview. The truck driver's semi-literate blue collar roots show through, and the Air Force pilot is exactly what Delta expects a former military officer to be. Who's Delta going to hire?

In reality, in today's market, the truck driver will be welcomed by the regionals with open arms. But he will never have the social acumen to make it through a major airlines screening process. And he'll never have the self-reflection to understand why he's rejected. Instead, he'll just direct his discontent towards military pilots.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:54 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
Come on, I know that. But you and I both know how the industry works. Your former truck driver, with no college degree, flies boxes in a Navajo for 2,000 hours. A degreed Air Force pilot with 2,000 hours in jets. Both apply to Delta. Both receive an interview. The truck driver's semi-literate blue collar roots show through, and the Air Force pilot is exactly what Delta expects a former military officer to be. Who's Delta going to hire?

In reality, in today's market, the truck driver will be welcomed by the regionals with open arms. But he will never have the social acumen to make it through a major airlines screening process. And he'll never have the self-reflection to understand why he's rejected. Instead, he'll just direct his discontent towards military pilots.
I personally know of at least 3 former truck drivers at the major I work for. You're stereotyping badly. Airlines don't really care about what you did prior to your flight time as long as it didn't involve being in jail. There are many, many, second career types in the major cockpits. I've worked with former nurses, truck drivers, insurance salesmen , rampers, even my check airman other day was a plumber til he was 35.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:25 PM

1,991 posts, read 900,502 times
Quote:
So I'm giving enlisted personnel a black eye, because historically they haven't had access to pilot training programs? I didn't make the rules.

There has always been limited access programs that create an exception from time to time. The quoted article is such an example. But throughout the history of military aviation, pilots predominantly have been officers.
You posted " there's a reason the military has excluded enlisted from pilot training ". You are wrong. The Army has trained thousands of enlisted to be pilots in the Warrant Officer Flight Training Program. Yes, they are given their Warrant after completing the program, but they came from the enlisted ranks when they started. These pilots were the backbone of Army Aviation in the Vietnam War and have continued to this day to be the point of the spear. I also know that years ago in the late 50s/early 60's the Air Force had a Cadet program that did basically the same thing. After graduating, the Cadets were commissioned. Currently, the Air Force has enlisted pilots flying their Global Hawk drone and is seeking more ways to utilize enlisted pilots due to the current shortage of Officers who are pilots.

Old 08-12-2018, 09:10 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Quote:

You seem to have a lot of pre-conceived notions about truck drivers is what I'm gathering here. That's nice. In reality there is a wide range of ability and intelligence among drivers in the trucking industry. I know this all too well since I myself drive for a living. Many drivers would no doubt make excellent aviators, but that is not what happens in reality. Trucking pays the bills equally as well as most piloting jobs and the barriers to entry are not nearly as high. (Some would argue they are too low already, but with the trucking industry facing the same labor shortages as the airlines, I won't hold my breath waiting for that to change.)

Old 08-18-2018, 10:58 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,090,042 times
Quote:
That used to be true, especially at DAL. Not the case now and hasn't been for decades.

Quote:
In reality, in today's market, the truck driver will be welcomed by the regionals with open arms. But he will never have the social acumen to make it through a major airlines screening process.
LOL... In today's market, very little in the way of social acumen is needed to get past the interview board, even at a major.

The sole reason that the majors preferred military folks, and hired them with relatively low total time (compared to their civilian counterparts) was because they are a known quantity.

It had little to do with their social skills.

Quote:
And he'll never have the self-reflection to understand why he's rejected. Instead, he'll just direct his discontent towards military pilots.

In my 32 years as a pilot, the only discontent I've witnessed or felt was when a guy with a military background expressed the opinion that civilian folks, ironically, didn't belong at a civilian airline.

It used to be more prevalent, but I still run into that attitude once in a while. I just traded out of a good trip with a relatively new (AF heavy) guy with that attitude. He's been here less than a year and already has a less than stellar rep as a "check FO" at my domicile. I flew a trip with him last Dec and his "social acumen" made for a loooooong 3 days.

Fortunately, he is in the minority, which makes guys like him stand out in a group of mostly great people to work with.

Overall, like any large group of people, 10% are jerks from any background.

My favorite folks to fly with come from all backgrounds. So do my least favorite.

Last edited by Tripower455; 08-18-2018 at 12:11 PM..

Old 08-18-2018, 01:44 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
A commonality between airline pilots and truck drivers - their working conditions or benefits have been eroded over the years.

Old 08-18-2018, 02:06 PM

643 posts, read 329,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
A commonality between airline pilots and truck drivers - their working conditions or benefits have been eroded over the years.
I can't speak for pilots but a trucker, age 69 retiring, told me when I asked about his trucking career........." just like your farming career, the best times were in the 1970's "

Old 08-18-2018, 03:28 PM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Putting support personnel through pilot training sounds like a bad idea. Kind of like offering to put a hospital janitor through medical school. There's a reason why the military excludes enlisted from pilot training. This isn't truck driving.
I don't disagree. If an enlisted person wants to become a pilot then they are more than welcome to apply for a commission at an officer school.

The issue is the military has a shortage of pilots as well.

Quote:
The military’s fighter pilot shortfall is reaching alarming proportions — and a new report from the Government Accountability Office shows just how bad the problem has become.

The Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps are each short about a 25 percent of the fighter pilots they need in crucial areas, according to the GAO report released Wednesday, titled “DOD Needs to Reevaluate Fighter Pilot Workforce Requirements.”
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...lets-is-empty/

Old 08-21-2018, 04:04 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
More great reasons not to fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation