Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 02:44 AM

31,978 posts, read 27,126,778 times

Advertisements

Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, missing since 2014, was probably steered off course deliberately and flown to the southern Indian Ocean, according to the Malaysian government’s safety report into the disaster.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-disappearance

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/07...ppearance.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 09:19 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, missing since 2014, was probably steered off course deliberately and flown to the southern Indian Ocean, according to the Malaysian government’s safety report into the disaster.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-disappearance

Malaysian civil aviation chief resigns over MH370 disappearance | Fox News
Nothing new here, this is like "Captain Obvious" stuff. Of course it was manipulated - most likely by the pilot - who flew the plane on a complex course over to the straights of Malacca, over the pilots hometown by the way, and then turned it south into the remote South Indian Ocean and put it on autopilot until it ran out of fuel hours later.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:55 AM

5,351 posts, read 3,237,646 times
In other news, planes fly.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:36 PM

8,513 posts, read 6,933,511 times
I have no idea whatsoever what happened. My personal opinion is the Malaysian government knows more about this than has been made public possibly to cover up some negligence and to avoid exposure to lawsuits against both the airline itself and the government.

I remember years ago the crash of an Egyptian airliner over the Atlantic where it seems the pilot committed suicide by airplane to cover up the shame and job loss for on the job sexual misconduct. Egypt to this day has refused to acknowledge that this incident was a deliberate act despite compelling evidence.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:44 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,606,467 times
What has always left me scratching my head on that one is how it is possible to actually lose a commercial airliner. I mean don't they track everything in real time now? Hell they even have smartphone apps that let average Joes track everything in the airspace around their local airports.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:14 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,490,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
What has always left me scratching my head on that one is how it is possible to actually lose a commercial airliner. I mean don't they track everything in real time now? Hell they even have smartphone apps that let average Joes track everything in the airspace around their local airports.
Uh huh. And those apps are based on transponders in individual airliners. Those transponders can be manually turned off in the cockpit by simply flipping a switch - a switch which is known to all airline pilots. After that, the only tracking is by radar, but flight 370 headed out over open ocean. You know that the oceans are mostly not covered by radar for the rather obvious reason that, absent land upon which to place a radar facility, there are no radars. Transatlantic and transpacific flights are routinely beyond radar coverage for hours. If a pilot switches off the transponder in those dead spots, those flights would be lost as well.

How is that worthy of head-scratching? It's not - except to those who simply do not understand the means by which airliners are tracked.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:16 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,877,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
You only "know" where some aircraft is when the aircraft "lets you know" where it is ...

Unless the local radar can literally "see" the aircraft, no way to know where the bugger really is.

I fly ultralight aircraft and when I fly low enough, even the local radar cannot see me without my transponder "on". aka "flying under the radar".

Old 08-06-2018, 10:08 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I have no idea whatsoever what happened. My personal opinion is the Malaysian government knows more about this than has been made public possibly to cover up some negligence and to avoid exposure to lawsuits against both the airline itself and the government.

I remember years ago the crash of an Egyptian airliner over the Atlantic where it seems the pilot committed suicide by airplane to cover up the shame and job loss for on the job sexual misconduct. Egypt to this day has refused to acknowledge that this incident was a deliberate act despite compelling evidence.
Same thing happened with SilkAir flight 185 in 1997 (Indonesian Airline) - concluded by NTSB to be from direct control from someone in cockpit (i.e. pilot). The country of Indonesia did not accept these findings.

Most probably this event is a pilot suicide - but Malaysian government will not accept that theory because of embarrassment to their country and culture. Evidence further supporting this theory will never see the light of day.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:54 AM

31,978 posts, read 27,126,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Same thing happened with SilkAir flight 185 in 1997 (Indonesian Airline) - concluded by NTSB to be from direct control from someone in cockpit (i.e. pilot). The country of Indonesia did not accept these findings.

Most probably this event is a pilot suicide - but Malaysian government will not accept that theory because of embarrassment to their country and culture. Evidence further supporting this theory will never see the light of day.

They never do, do they?

Suggestion of anything relating to suicide of Egypt Air #990 sent that airline and country into fits of denial. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EgyptA...nd_speculation

Parents and other family of Andreas Lubitz, the pilot who flew that Germanwings #9525 into a mountain still refuse to accept suicide.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:42 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,606,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Uh huh. And those apps are based on transponders in individual airliners. Those transponders can be manually turned off in the cockpit by simply flipping a switch - a switch which is known to all airline pilots. After that, the only tracking is by radar, but flight 370 headed out over open ocean. You know that the oceans are mostly not covered by radar for the rather obvious reason that, absent land upon which to place a radar facility, there are no radars. Transatlantic and transpacific flights are routinely beyond radar coverage for hours. If a pilot switches off the transponder in those dead spots, those flights would be lost as well.

How is that worthy of head-scratching? It's not - except to those who simply do not understand the means by which airliners are tracked.
So the pilot can choose to turn off any means of tracking the plane and then go crash it into the ocean unbeknownst to anybody then? That sounds pretty stupid to me. You'd think with satellites they could track a large commercial jet anywhere in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation