Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 08:35 PM

7,634 posts, read 8,704,195 times

Advertisements

J.M.L. Thanks (LOL @ last sentence). Is radio communication with the ground required?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 12:50 AM

37 posts, read 42,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
J.M.L. Thanks (LOL @ last sentence). Is radio communication with the ground required?
Radio in any type of aircraft is only required when flying in airspace near airports with control towers or above 18,000 ft above sea level or when flying under instrument flight rules (IFR).

I started flying lessons in a glider at a private grass field. The instructor sometimes took along a hand-held radio just in case. But I don’t recall it being used. If the tow plane needed us to disconnect before reaching the planned release altitude, they would waggle their wings. In the case where the glider fails to release the tow plane also has a way to release the tow rope from their end, but that is rarely needed.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:04 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.L. View Post
I can only speak to United States regulations.
For glider certification in the United States the SSA provides a quick summary here:
Soaring Society of America

Even smaller than conventional gliders are hang gliders, which are not regulated (with respect to airworthiness or registration) by the FAA and no pilot license or medical is required prior to getting in one and leaping off into the abyss. Though obviously training is strongly advised. There are operational flight regulations that the pilot must abide to, though. These operating rules are all spelled out in Part 103 of the FAA regulations. One of the shorter set of flight regulations on the books. Basically they were written under the philosophy “It’s your neck and you can risk it all you want except that you aren’t allowed to risk anyone else’s necks in the process.”
True that in the USA one doesn't need a license to fly a glider but this isn't true in all other countries. I know that in Australia and Israel one does need a license to fly gliders.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:41 AM

11,049 posts, read 6,637,979 times
^^^^No license for HANG gliders but you need one for sailplanes, which some refer to as gliders.

I used to fly sailplanes over Hemet, CA---it is an amazing experience. Only the wind whistling, circling with the birds. Once went to 10,000 feet "accidently" sucked up in a cloud.

It helped to have that background when learning to fly power planes. I didn't panic as much as I might have when we lost power over Roswell, NM and had to glide to Socorro.

Those dang aliens!

Old 09-08-2018, 02:49 PM

7,634 posts, read 8,704,195 times
Stunning images from experimental glider as it smashes altitude record flight and reaches 76,000ft

Old 09-08-2018, 07:38 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,193 times
Took a few lessons in Calistoga, CA back in probably the late 70s or early 80s. Definitely fun. I was also working on my private pilots license too, but that was down in the East Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation