Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2015, 06:52 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,436,239 times

Advertisements

I will be leaving for a short stay in the Netherlands. My health is not exactly perfect and I take 7 different prescription medicine.
Go for just one week, and have a 7 day box. Does the custom or TSA people need to see the bottles, or is a list with the medication OK? I just don't like to take all the bottles with me, unless I have to off course.
Thank you in advance for an answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 10:12 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,639,216 times
You should be fine. To be safe, have a list of the medications (including their medical names -- ie: what the drug is, not a brand name) along with your pharmacist's and or physician's phone number, just in case. This is good practice for any traveling, especially internationally as if you were to have issues and need to go to the hospital, that can save valuable time in the case of an emergency.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:18 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,500,639 times
Make sure that all those drugs are legal in the country you are taking them to. Just because they are prescription does not mean you can always carry them into the country....

Old 12-09-2015, 06:31 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,270,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
Make sure that all those drugs are legal in the country you are taking them to. Just because they are prescription does not mean you can always carry them into the country....

Be careful about non-prescription medications, too.

Meds that are OTC in one country might be prescription-only in another country.

Ask Mick Jagger about it.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:57 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,102,113 times
I'm at a domestic flights only airport, so I don't know about the international part of travelling with Rx.

So far as getting through TSA security, they only require you to remove liquid or ointment medications from your carry on bag, also anything that requires an ice pack. Pills, capsules, powders, and vitamins can all stay in carry on.

Medical liquids and ointments over 3.4oz / 100ml in carry on will need to be tested. Ice packs must be frozen -- they'll usually verify that by examining it. Testing is non-intrusive, ie they don't actually handle them meds, just the container.

DO transport all your Rx meds in their original containers, with your name on the prescription label, and no signs of tampering.

People who usually put a weeks' worth of meds out in the little weekly vitamin/pill containers can do so just fine, no problems, But you should carry the prescription bottles with the original label on them as verification just in case there is any question.

People travel with all kinds of Rx meds through airports all the time, no problem. They can even stay hooked up to oxygen if need be.

Please DO consult with your airline regarding any sort of medical gasses, or anything being transported with dry ice! These cases are rare, but people do sometimes undertake to travel with them.

Look up the Rx laws in the countries to which you will be travelling.

Consult with your airline about medical gasses or dry ice.

Use this resource to look up anything you have questions about flying with in carry on or in checked baggage in the US (domestic)

https://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/cib_home.aspx

And here is a similar search engine for US Customs and Border Protection:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/lis...ns/suggested/1

Old 12-14-2015, 08:04 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,247,972 times
Keep all meds in their prescribed containers.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:29 AM

786 posts, read 812,422 times
Regardless of whether prescribed for the treatment of illness &c,
if the magic carpet were a real means of transportation, shouldn't its user(s) be taken to be on rugs?

Last edited by OldChina; 12-14-2015 at 08:39 AM..

Old 12-28-2015, 08:26 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,436,239 times
Thank you folks. I ended up taking the bottles with me,7 day box and a list with the medications. Never had any questions. The good thing about taking it all with you, I extended my vacation with 8 days, so, had all the meds. All meds are pills.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:32 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,138,400 times
If you have Pre-Check or Global, you don’t even need to remove the liquids. Just make sure that all these things are in zip lock bags in the same place in your luggage.

With global and pre-check and a Known Traveler Number, and pre-check on your boarding pass, or the card, they usually don’t bother checking anything. You don’t have to take anything off. I take hard copies of all my info in a loose-leaf in the carry-on, including a copy of the letter sent to me from the TSA with my number on it.

I never check anything, especially on flights with layovers.

Old 10-28-2018, 03:08 PM

10,052 posts, read 18,101,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
If you have Pre-Check or Global, you don’t even need to remove the liquids. Just make sure that all these things are in zip lock bags in the same place in your luggage.

With global and pre-check and a Known Traveler Number, and pre-check on your boarding pass, or the card, they usually don’t bother checking anything. You don’t have to take anything off. I take hard copies of all my info in a loose-leaf in the carry-on, including a copy of the letter sent to me from the TSA with my number on it.

I never check anything, especially on flights with layovers.
Previous posts were from 2015 ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation