Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 05:17 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times

Advertisements

Oooh boo! Cigarette smoke!
I don't like it either but if I complain about my pothead neighbor (duplex) whose skunk-**** smoke invades my home, I get laughed at and told "move - its legal - live with it".
Double standard.
Not smart burning anything in a potentially oxygen rich environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 06:11 PM

6,700 posts, read 5,928,489 times
If I were that guy next to him, I wouldn't have said anything. They'd have sniffed him out sooner or later. He only took one drag anyway. At most, I might have said "Dude, you do know they don't allow smoking here?" and leave it at that.

In my opinion, they should allow vaping on planes. I grew up in a smoking household and though I never smoked myself, I just got used to it.

I wish vapes had been invented back then and my dad would have probably been a lot healthier. Though, he did live to 92, so I guess 50 years of smoking wasn't what killed him

Old 05-27-2019, 09:47 PM

758 posts, read 550,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Akkyhaul and smoking seem to go hand in hand.....I'm sure the guy on the plane was drunk.....loved the snitch across the aisle who couldn't wait to turn him in, like he was collecting a bounty.

I actually grew up where both parents smoked like chimneys and went through cartons of cigs at $1.25 per. They smoked for 40 years and then quit cold turkey. So I lived in a blue haze for the first 20 years of my life, and if 2nd hand smoke could kill you I wouldn't have made it past 10. Now it does make me a bit ill.....hate to admit that but oh well........death to the smokers!..........lol
Great reasoning! A squirrel safely makes it across a ten lane highway. That obviously means that squirrels never get killed by a car or cars on that highway.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:13 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,246,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I don't like it either but if I complain about my pothead neighbor (duplex) whose skunk-**** smoke invades my home, I get laughed at and told "move - its legal - live with it".
Double standard.
+1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
If I were that guy next to him, I wouldn't have said anything. They'd have sniffed him out sooner or later. He only took one drag anyway. At most, I might have said "Dude, you do know they don't allow smoking here?" and leave it at that.

In my opinion, they should allow vaping on planes. I grew up in a smoking household and though I never smoked myself, I just got used to it.

I wish vapes had been invented back then and my dad would have probably been a lot healthier. Though, he did live to 92, so I guess 50 years of smoking wasn't what killed him
And another +1.

Yet common sense isn't allowed anymore. 😁

Old 05-28-2019, 08:15 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,163,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocSciProf View Post
Great reasoning! A squirrel safely makes it across a ten lane highway. That obviously means that squirrels never get killed by a car or cars on that highway.

Thanks for that compliment!....I knew before the age of ten that smoking was horrible for people. I watched family and friends all over get wiped out by it.

But I can't help but remember an amazing afternoon of riding our big bikes down from the Sierras above Bakersfield on this lonely 2 lane through the farmland. Out in the hayfields and occasional oak trees were hundreds of little chipmunks darting back and forth across the highway. Some zipping across, but a lot would get indecision in the middle. Many fallen soldiers were seen killed by that indecision. Just something that those with poor reasoning would remember. For those who would turn me in to PETA, we missed every one of the critters.....a great ride........

Old 05-31-2019, 07:06 PM

13,247 posts, read 7,300,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Now the employees and passengers are all treated like criminals........you can't tell me that's better because it sucks.

I agree with that statement terrorist have accomplished exactly what they wanted. Fear to create another government bureaucracy which goes overboard to justify their own existence. All that was needed was better xray machines for checked bags, and securing cockpit doors. 2013 I took a flight from Cayman islands the security looked just like the security from 1980's. It was a joke that is when I figured out the TSA is nothing more then a big show and bureaucracy. It's all about a show put on for the public to justify the millions in tax dollars they want.

Old 05-31-2019, 08:33 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,008,534 times
Not unusual for airline pilots to smoke in the cockpit in a bygone era. Once knew a Captain for Ozark (Google it), who was a pipe smoker. As soon as his Martin 404 (Google it too), was clear of the runway, he would light up and arrive at the gate in full view and glory. Not sure, but reasonably believe this was his custom in cruise as well. But the length of the flights was often less than 30 minutes, so he might not have either. This was in the 1964-67 time frame.

Old 05-31-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Double standard.
That's the irony of the current push for legalization of marijuana. If there's any second hand smoke that's offensive it's that stuff. But they haven't proved it causes cancer, so it's got to be OK.

Old 05-31-2019, 08:43 PM

447 posts, read 208,509 times
Seems like he didn't put his lips together and blow. so sad.

Old 05-31-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Ah, yes, the so-called good old days...

When flying was far more dangerous (numerous major crashes every year, whereas now years pass between domestic disasters - despite the fact that there are far more planes in the air these days) when it was a lot noisier (yes, engines have gotten much quieter while cabins are more insulated from exterior sound) when it was a lot less direct (yes, there are more point-to-points today than back in the day when a trip from Seattle to New York was likely to include stops in Denver, Omaha and Columbus), to say nothing of expensive (yep - back in the day, a coach ticket cost in actual purchasing power what a first class ticket costs today).

Oh, yes. And the smoke-filled cabins. I'm amused that you define 'fun' as the ability of pound down one heater after another in the company of 120 other strangers - what a bizarre concept of entertainment. And that you confuse 'offended' with 'disliking disgusting and unhealthy smoke'.
Were you alive in that era? We didn't know what we didn't know. Those who did know, didn't fly. There was a large portion of the population who were afraid to fly. The bulk of the passengers were business men who had survived WWII, and exposure to flying. Riding in the back of an airliner didn't phase them. The promotional photos and videos the airlines produced showing an abundance of women and children happily looking out the window are overstated. Pre-jet age, the old piston engine airliners were only enjoyed by pilots and enthusiasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation