Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 10:22 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times

Advertisements

Lockheed Martin is getting the F-35 Lightning II ready for 2012 deployment as these are the most advanced fighter jets in the world along with the F-22 Raptors being deployed this year.

Jumping into Action | Popular Science
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 09:20 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,239 times
F22 is so much sweeter, but much more expensive. They will definately be used only for air supperiority since they are better designed (sustained supersonic speed) for air-air fights.

F35 will be used for everything.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:36 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Bah the YF-23 Black Widow II was faster, could climb at a Higher Rate had better stealth and just looked awsome where it had some style.

YF23 BLACK WIDOW II SHOW - YouTube
I mean I wonder if it could be brought back to Replace the F-22A and do it under the JSF and it could be the 5th Gen F-15 for Air-Air and the F-35 could be the 5th gen F-16 and F/A-18 Super Hornet Replacment.
I mean one plane to replace al thelegacy fighters is not goung to work and a USAF F-15 Replacement and USN F-18 Replacement is what is needed to meet difrent threats I am prety sure Australia, Cananda and Japan would be interested in asomething that can counter the Russian Sukhoi PAK-FA which is made to go toe-toe with the out of production F-22 Raptor fleet.

I mean for Canada the F-35A is to slow and limited in range to counter a 2020 version of the PAK-FA entering NORAD patrolled airspace that Canada has to patrol and meet possible threats head on and intercercept them and the F-35 is not up to the task plus having external fuel tanks would mean that the F-35 would have reduced stealth capability and be more exposed but they would be needed to give it the range we need to intercept some thing like that in te near future.

I mean the normal fly by of the Bear Bomber is fine for the CF-18 Hornet to intercept but we need a long range on Internal fuel,high flying, large payload fast movers to met our needs best.
i mean Canada austrlia and Japan will buy at ful retail or we wil end up with block III upgraded F/A-18 Super Hornets since the F-15SE is not even under development and only the Demo model and some wind tunel test are done so it is a long way of buyt would be the perfect stop Gap plane till the F/A-23 Black Widow II is in full production.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:24 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Bah the YF-23 Black Widow II was faster, could climb at a Higher Rate had better stealth and just looked awsome where it had some style.

YF23 BLACK WIDOW II SHOW - YouTube
I mean I wonder if it could be brought back to Replace the F-22A and do it under the JSF and it could be the 5th Gen F-15 for Air-Air and the F-35 could be the 5th gen F-16 and F/A-18 Super Hornet Replacment.
I mean one plane to replace al thelegacy fighters is not goung to work and a USAF F-15 Replacement and USN F-18 Replacement is what is needed to meet difrent threats I am prety sure Australia, Cananda and Japan would be interested in asomething that can counter the Russian Sukhoi PAK-FA which is made to go toe-toe with the out of production F-22 Raptor fleet.

I mean for Canada the F-35A is to slow and limited in range to counter a 2020 version of the PAK-FA entering NORAD patrolled airspace that Canada has to patrol and meet possible threats head on and intercercept them and the F-35 is not up to the task plus having external fuel tanks would mean that the F-35 would have reduced stealth capability and be more exposed but they would be needed to give it the range we need to intercept some thing like that in te near future.

I mean the normal fly by of the Bear Bomber is fine for the CF-18 Hornet to intercept but we need a long range on Internal fuel,high flying, large payload fast movers to met our needs best.
i mean Canada austrlia and Japan will buy at ful retail or we wil end up with block III upgraded F/A-18 Super Hornets since the F-15SE is not even under development and only the Demo model and some wind tunel test are done so it is a long way of buyt would be the perfect stop Gap plane till the F/A-23 Black Widow II is in full production.
How far are the progressing with the PAK-FA though? It's basically still a prototype right?

Old 09-24-2012, 04:02 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Currently the true top speed of the F-22A is classified but is known to be mach 2.25+ (with rumors of mach 2.4) and supercruise of mach 1.8.

There is plenty of speculation about how fast the YF-23 could have flown but bottom line, from YF-23 Black Widow II is:

The YF-23 prototypes are 67.4 feet in length and have wingspans of 43.6 ft. The YF-23 employed stealth characteristics and was capable of supersonic cruise flight without afterburner. The aircraft achieved a speed of Mach 1.8 during the program.

Maybe the YF-23 could have gone faster, maybe it would have improved from prototype as did the F-22, but bottom line one can't support any claim of it being a faster airplane than the F-22A and I think it is well accepted that they were both fast enough for mission requirements. F-22A is also more agile because of thrust-vectoring, which isn't possible on the YF-23A because of the design of the exhausts.

Quote:
I mean I wonder if it could be brought back to Replace the F-22A
Take a plane like F-22A that has gone thru an additional 15+ years of development and has now entered service as the most advanced air superiority fighter in the world, and replace it with a 1991 prototype based on speculation on superior performance and it looking sexier?

Quote:
I mean for Canada the F-35A is to slow and limited in range to counter a 2020 version of the PAK-FA entering NORAD patrolled airspace that Canada has to patrol and meet possible threats head on and intercercept them and the F-35 is not up to the task plus having external fuel tanks would mean that the F-35 would have reduced stealth capability and be more exposed
You keep sweeping declarations about aircraft based on simple on paper specifications of speed/range/thrust but historically air combat hasn't played out that way, Russian fighters with stud credentials and fancy airshow videos have been consistently splashed by American airplanes that don't compare as well on paper. Look at the combat history of F-16 versus Mig-29, does that match the specs? Look at MiG-25, what Western plane of that era touched it on-paper numbers but its combat performance was dismal.

I'd agree that the F-35A isn't designed as a long range interceptor, but I certainly wouldn't dismiss it as not up to the task of handling a future version of PAK-FA.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:55 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
Lockheed Martin is getting the F-35 Lightning II ready for 2012 deployment as these are the most advanced fighter jets in the world along with the F-22 Raptors being deployed this year.

Jumping into Action | Popular Science
OK, why does America need these, I have to ask?
Hasn't the battlefield changed and the manner in which we fight now?

Only reasons I ask this is because it seems with the invasion into iraq, troops were driving 1970's model trucks and equipment.
I'd like to think that when we send ground troops into anywhere, they're given the best, most modern equipment to drive and operate.

In what scenario would the U.S. be using the F-35? if the F-22 performs satisfactorily.

Are unmanned flying machines a thing of the future?

Old 09-25-2012, 12:45 PM

56 posts, read 116,879 times
Thinking ahead. Even though the F-35 joint strike fighter has many roles. Much of the basic parts are interchangeable and will lead to cost saving during it's useful life. I never saw the wisdom of hanging bombs on the F-15 air supperiority fighter and using it as a low level bomber. Super Cruise (supersonic cruise) on the F-22 is really pretty cool as well as vectored thrust. It will be a great "go find em and kill em" jet.

The F-15 has been a great aircraft. It is old. It is a more demanding world. It will be retired soon. I just hope the record holds: Zero air-to-air combat losses.

Keith

Old 09-26-2012, 09:59 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,268,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post

Only reasons I ask this is because it seems with the invasion into iraq, troops were driving 1970's model trucks and equipment.
I'd like to think that when we send ground troops into anywhere, they're given the best, most modern equipment to drive and operate.

In what scenario would the U.S. be using the F-35? if the F-22 performs satisfactorily.

If the F-22 performs satisfactorily?

Well for starters we have a grand total of ~175 of them in inventory. This may seem like a lot of airplanes but really....for fighters this is a pretty small force. Yes they are great planes but they aren't good enough with those numbers.

And stealth does not equal invisable. Yes LO technology is grand however it's not something that other foreign defense companies are not actively trying to defeat...and in a lot of cases they are becoming successful at doing so. The F-117 that got shot down a few years back is a great example of how LO technology can eventually be defeated. Even though we've come a long way in signature reduction since the F-117 was built it's not like we will not lose this advantage eventually...especially if we accept the status quo is good enough.

The F-22 is an air superiority fighter. This means that it was built for air-to-air engagement of other fighter aircraft. They are building in ground attack capabilities but it was never the intent originally.

The F-35 on the other hand, is a multirole fighter. This means that it is designed for ground attack missions and can also do air-to-air engagement....but not as well as the F-22.

Are UAV's the future? Well we are successfully doing small scale ground attack missions with them now. But with current technology we are unable to do large scale ground attack and air-to-air engagement capability is nil. We do not have a fast enough com link to do real-time air-to-air combat with UAV's. There was one instance when this was attempted and the UAV was shot down by the aircraft it engaged.

Invading iraq with 1970's ground vehicles? I didn't know they built Hummers in the 1970's. What vehicles are you referring to?

Old 09-26-2012, 11:27 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post

the F-35 JSF II is more of a 21st Century NATO plane and the F-22A i is out of production and wear and tear on older flets of legacy fighters means the F-35 is what pretty much all the countries wil either be flying it or they will be countries we do not export to will either buy the lastest export version of Sukhoi Gen 4.5+ Russian fighters or buy the super cheap fighters from China.

We need to Replace all the old worn out Legacy Fighters with something and the F-35 is the only 5-th Gen that is an option right now unles going with upgraded block III or boeing builds the Silent Eagle version of the F-15 Strike eagle I mean the F-35 is just a maodren version of the Soviet ***-141 project.

Yakovlev *** 41 - YouTube
I mean the soviets sold Lockhed Martin the design to enter it into to compete with the JSF test program which Lockheed won and the F-35 would never have existed if it weren't for ***-141 and it had problems then it has problems now and we put 1.5 Trillion into it so for that kind of money is should go to the mon and back or atleast built in enough numbers to have Replaced the Harrier AV-8 II but the F-125A and F-35C made it a plane that has to do everything all when it was made to be built to be a the F-35B and the A and C models made it a project that is out of control and what we face either cut and run and hope it all works out or maybe we shpould of just build the F-14 Super Tomcat 21 which wpould of been better than the Super Bug and F-35C and it could of worked for the USAF to Replace the F-15C/D in high speed long Range interception and Air-Air Combat Roles.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:04 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Default F-35B Lightning II

F-35B maintainer trains to be part of aviation history
Eglin Air Force Base
Story by Samuel King
Thursday, January 1, 2012
#####
EGLIN AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. -- As the Marine Corps celebrates its centennial of aviation this year, a member of the 33d Fighter Wing became a part of that history having recovered the first F-35B Lightning II, here, Jan. 11.

After quick hand signals to the pilot, and well placed steps to clear the engine exhaust, Gunnery Sgt. Matthew Smith, with the Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 501, choreographed parking the F-35B and shut-down engine checks with his fellow maintainers, known as plane captains in the Marine Corps.

"It's just a success to see the aircraft here," said Smith. "It's been a success for the Marine Corps, the 33d Fighter Wing and me personally."

Smith has 16 years experience maintaining aircraft in environments like small-deck aircraft carriers, stateside military bases and deployed environments, but for the last two years he's been gearing up for this day.

Unbeknownst to Smith, his master sergeant at Cherry Point Marine Air Station, N.C., had nominated him for the hand-picked program while Smith had simultaneously wanted to participate based on a briefing he attended given by the senior maintenance chief for the Marine Corps.

It didn't take Smith long to decide once he was chosen.

"All right, let's rock. I'm ready to roll," he recalled saying after hearing the news.

He arrived here Dec. 2009, anticipating training on and maintaining jets locally. But with delays in maturity of the program, the first aircraft, the Air Force variant of the F-35, was received in July 2011.

Incidentally, Smith saw that aircraft landing while standing atop a ladder and peering over his shoulder. He was in the midst of hanging his unit's sign on the Marine's aircraft hangar when the Air Force variant landed. He said he "didn't want to just leave the sign hanging there."

It seems that dedication to see a task through was a clue to what Smith's future would hold.

The shift in receiving F-35s at Eglin meant he could again make history by having the opportunity to help create the first writings of maintainer documents precluding the arrival of joint task lists and joint technical data from Lockheed Martin.

Examples included tasks on how to retrieve the aircraft, remove and replace an engine, tires, struts and all movable surfaces and planning out the placement of the aircraft on a carrier or flight line, according to Smith.

"This allows him to be a part of the team to execute a comprehensive maintenance plan and help ensure success with the Marine Corps' newest weapon, the F-35B," said Master Gunnery Sgt. Juan Villarreal, maintenance chief at the VMFAT-501.

Other steps taken leading up to receiving the aircraft was as a two-week training course Smith attended in Hartford, Conn. at the Pratt and Whitney F-135 engine plant where he received an overview of theories and operations of the engine.

"I learned how the lift fan system on the front of the aircraft works simultaneously with the engine propulsion system."

This feature allows for the short takeoff and vertical landing capability of the Marine variant of the F-35. The back part of the engine pivots 90 degrees to direct the thrust at the ground with STOVL making it possible to land on an L-class, small-deck aircraft carrier.

And while Smith and his team received the aircraft in a traditional mode of landing, it performed what some dub the "transformer" maneuver after landing. The back portion of the aircraft is pointed down to the airfield and then back horizontal as part of the shutdown checklist.

Next, Smith worked alongside fellow 33rd FW Air Force and Navy maintainers taking a three-week cadre course at Eglin in the Spring of 2010. Smith described the course as an in-depth overview of the capabilities and maintainability of the aircraft.

This was followed by 60 days at Patuxent River Naval Air Station in Maryland to learn in-depth tasks such as pulling a lift fan and an engine.

Eglin's newest aircraft edition will be eventually be maintained inside the Navy and Marine Corps hangar.

The more than $42.5 million hangar boasts air conditioning piped out from plumbing buried in the floor of the hangar, and with an extended hose, is outfitted under the open bay of the jet to cool the avionics when servicing the jet, according to Smith.

This means more efficient maintenance operations with less time retrieving the ground support equipment like the electric and cooling cart, which is about the size of an S-10 pick-up truck, according to Smith.

What lays ahead for Smith and the rest of the Marines are the new challenges inherent with all new programs, said Air Force Col. Andrew Toth, commander of the 33rd Fighter Wing.

But those challenges are welcome since it means a step forward in getting Eglin fully qualified for producing F-35 pilots and maintainers.

"It's been an Air Force show up until this point," said Toth. "By having the two variants of the aircraft here, we've made the transition to becoming a fully integrated wing."

These photos (and more) came from U.S. Government archive at DVIDS - News - F-35B maintainer trains to be part of aviation history and are "Public Domain".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation