Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 07:44 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I quoted the 15 min $5 Rapid Test (80+% accurate) do it multiple x if you want higher stats.

That was not what the White House was using? Clearly not accurate enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2020, 09:00 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I say fire them like the controllers were fired in decades past. Good luck finding job in an industry that is shrinking in size.
You can't fire people who aren't striking. The controllers were striking.

A contract is a contract.

Old 10-17-2020, 02:37 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
The pay rates at most of the airlines were extremely hard fought-for. Many places worked at substandard rates for a decade or more. It can take years and years to negotiate new pay rates. So they operate on old scales for a long time. Each contract amendment acts a basis for the next. When pay cuts are taken it can set back those tables many years. Just negotiating back to where you were initially when the cuts occurred can be a herculean feat, let alone actually advancing the pay for cost of living changes. Over a decade is possible. So most pilots would *not* want to see a hard-written hourly pay rate cut. However, we *are* willing to still bring home less pay via working less hours. I'll work less hours, a lot less in fact, and make less, but I want the same hourly pay for the hours worked. The result is the same without setting the pay tables back many, many years. This is what many outside this profession don't seem to understand. We are willing to help out and make less money.

In fact, where I work now we are negotiating the same issue. I will vote against the pay cut, but am in favor of the reduced-hours plan. I'd rather be furloughed than take the pay cut. I want a job worth coming back to. And I'm not just talking. I *will* be furloughed in the next round if we cant either reduce the pay rate or the hours worked.
The issue is going to be will there be a company to go back to or will they go bankrupt and everyone will be out of jobs.

As I've said, I've been there with my hub, it sucked that he got less pay and the company still ended up going bankrupt.

Old 10-17-2020, 07:29 AM

21,135 posts, read 19,714,475 times
The reasoning of the union is that the company is going to rehire the laid-off workers long before they will be willing to restore wages.

From the laid-off pilots’ perspective. In the long run, they will more than make up for the lost wages once they get rehired at the previous wages (versus getting rehired at lower wages).

Old 10-17-2020, 09:35 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,165,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...?ocid=msedgntp

I really hope that cooler heads prevail. The crisis befalling the airlines is unprecedented in aviation history, and nothing less than drastic measures will be necessary to weather the storm. If the pilots union resists pay cuts, I see no reasonable alternative to layoffs. And it's better to get 90 percent of your salary than 0 percent.

Spent 38 years in the airline business and never once saw anybody take a pay cut to save the junior guys from going under the bus.......

Old 12-05-2020, 06:14 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,191,709 times
Southwest sent out warn notices for potential layoffs/furloughs.

Old 12-20-2020, 03:11 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Spent 38 years in the airline business and never once saw anybody take a pay cut to save the junior guys from going under the bus.......
I just saw it in my union. The seniors are screaming because the latest negotiations have the juniors having a faster path to knock out the two tier pay scale while they only got the now traditional token raise. That the seniors should have gotten all while juniors being paid half of their rate should continue to wait before qualifying for benefits. All for one and one for all is the last thing on their minds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation