Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2021, 08:04 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

I am guessing you are a Smiths fan.

Although so many famous people from the area it's difficult to tell.
No, and I had to look them up, but now I am going to find out all about them. THANKS!

It's only in recent years as a sister has been doing genealogy that I came to be interested in Manchester. My g-g-grandparents left there in 1863 when the cotton mills were closing because of the U.S. Civil War and came to Paterson, NJ, to work in the silk mills.

I've only been to the U.K. once, in 2015, for four days in London, but I became interested in Manchester, and I want to visit there (as well as other parts of the U.K.).

I worked for an authority that ran airports all my life, so in keeping with the thread, I'll check out the airport while I'm there, too.

Old 05-24-2021, 08:31 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyqueen801 View Post
no, and i had to look them up, but now i am going to find out all about them. Thanks!

It's only in recent years as a sister has been doing genealogy that i came to be interested in manchester. My g-g-grandparents left there in 1863 when the cotton mills were closing because of the u.s. Civil war and came to paterson, nj, to work in the silk mills.

I've only been to the u.k. Once, in 2015, for four days in london, but i became interested in manchester, and i want to visit there (as well as other parts of the u.k.).

I worked for an authority that ran airports all my life, so in keeping with the thread, i'll check out the airport while i'm there, too.
panynj!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2021, 11:21 AM

4,601 posts, read 2,990,451 times
Well, I've always liked Long Beach (LGB).

Burbank (BUR) is pretty good.
It also has an Amtrak station;
how many airports have that?

I try to avoid LAX if possible,
because of the dreadful traffic.

Old 05-24-2021, 07:35 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,351,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Well, I've always liked Long Beach (LGB).

Burbank (BUR) is pretty good.
It also has an Amtrak station;
how many airports have that?

I try to avoid LAX if possible,
because of the dreadful traffic.
Yup!

Unless you're flying internationally, or on the Westside, I also avoid LAX as much as possible as well.

Old 05-25-2021, 04:08 AM

27,146 posts, read 13,434,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, and I had to look them up, but now I am going to find out all about them. THANKS!

It's only in recent years as a sister has been doing genealogy that I came to be interested in Manchester. My g-g-grandparents left there in 1863 when the cotton mills were closing because of the U.S. Civil War and came to Paterson, NJ, to work in the silk mills.

I've only been to the U.K. once, in 2015, for four days in London, but I became interested in Manchester, and I want to visit there (as well as other parts of the U.K.).

I worked for an authority that ran airports all my life, so in keeping with the thread, I'll check out the airport while I'm there, too.

Manchester has the largest airport in the North of England.

In terms of famous people and bands, there are lots from Manchester.

Manchester is famous for backing the North in the US Civil War and received a letter of thanks from Abraham Lincoln, and there is a statue of Lincoln in Manchester.

Old 05-25-2021, 07:50 AM

9,524 posts, read 16,507,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Manchester has the largest airport in the North of England.

In terms of famous people and bands, there are lots from Manchester.

Manchester is famous for backing the North in the US Civil War and received a letter of thanks from Abraham Lincoln, and there is a statue of Lincoln in Manchester.
I never knew that. Thanks for that info.

Old 05-25-2021, 11:55 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I never knew that. Thanks for that info.
What he said! I tried to rep BraveNewWorld, but I have to spread the love.

Old 06-08-2021, 05:55 PM

2,869 posts, read 1,148,568 times
Best: Tampa, Minneapolis.
Worst: St. Louis, and (hands down), Logan.

Old 06-08-2021, 07:14 PM

6,791 posts, read 9,340,858 times
Worst: PHL/Philadelphia. Rude, surly, slow/lackadaisical employees and TSA and baggage claim takes FOREVER regardless of airline.

Best: MDT/Harrisburg! Smaller airport, helpful staff, easy to get through security, decent food options for an airport of its size. I always try to fly to MDT when going to PA, but sometimes PHL wins out on itinerary.

Meh: DEN/Denver. My home airport. Getting a bit shabby although I know there are some construction projects going on. Not excited about the Great Hall renovation - I don’t go to the airport to shop or hang out.

Last edited by cowboyxjon; 06-08-2021 at 07:23 PM..

Old 06-09-2021, 07:05 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
Best: Tampa, Minneapolis.
Worst: St. Louis, and (hands down), Logan.
Logan? When was the last time you went to BOS. 1995? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation