Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 03:01 PM

209 posts, read 313,424 times

Advertisements

Hello,

There are certain island nations and states, some quite exotic that while thought of as tourist destinations are not usually thought of as stopovers between larger countries. However, I have known some people who have actually had brief stopovers on small islands between larger countries:

1. My former professor who has family in China decades ago actually took a route to China from New York City that had a brief stopover at Honolulu International Airport.

2. I have known a few people from the UK that were able to luck into ultra cheap tickets to the Carribean who wanted to visit the USA. In these cases, the combo of UK to Carribean to USA was actually cheaper than UK directly to USA.

3. I know someone who went from South Africa to Asia with a brief stopover in the Indian Ocean Island nation of Mauritius.

So has anyone ever had any exotic stopovers at places like Honolulu, Mauritius, etc in between larger destinations?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2021, 03:36 PM

393 posts, read 276,441 times
Once I stopped briefly on Rarotonga, Cook Islands, on my way home on Air New Zealand.

Once on a deployment with a government agency, our government airplane stopped overnight on Easter Island, on it's way from Brazil to New Zealand. I declined to fly with the aircraft, instead I flew commercially, with an overnight stop at home on the US west coast.

Old 10-16-2021, 05:35 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Years ago, I took a flight from Melbourne, Australia to Los Angeles that stopped in Tahiti and Fiji. In Tahiti, I remember wondering around duty free shops. In Fiji there was a power outage in the airport and I remember being in a terminal with only emergency lighting.

Later on I flew between NYC and Johannsburg r/t and in both directions the plane stopped in Dakar (Senegal) but passengers (like me) weren't allowed off the plane as only those whose destination or origin was Dakar who could do so.

Old 10-16-2021, 06:11 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,165,623 times
In 1971 I visited Tokyo as my first ride on a 747. Saw Mt. Fuji and took a ride on the bullet train, a marvel for sure. They sold rice based meals on board, amazing efficency with 30 second stops at smaller towns, 1 minute stops at larger stations. Secret to the success of the bullets, tracks were one mile long welded together. It was smooth as could be at 150mph. Stopover at HNL on the way back, saw the Wiki-Wiki buses for first time and discovered guava juice. Was heady stuff for a 23 year old kid just off the farm.

Old 10-17-2021, 06:22 PM

8,488 posts, read 6,894,642 times
Years ago when I was in the military. So long ago that some of the name places have changed. Calcutta India, Rangoon Burma. Bangkok, Beirut.

Old 10-18-2021, 07:12 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,372,544 times
This was about 15 years ago. On our return from vacationing in Nevis we were scheduled to make a connection in San Juan, PR. But the Nevis airport had run out of fuel so we had to make an unscheduled stop on St. Kitts to refuel for the trip. As a result, we missed our connection in SJU (TJSJ) and unexpectedly spent the night in San Juan. Rather than stay in the airline-suggested hotel we got a room at the Ritz Carlton and had a very pleasant stay.

Old 10-18-2021, 07:17 AM

5,345 posts, read 3,216,583 times
I don't know about "exotic" but I generally fly Icelandair to Europe because they let you stop over for up to 5 days before heading on to your final destination.

Old 10-18-2021, 08:03 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelOrear View Post
Hello,

There are certain island nations and states, some quite exotic that while thought of as tourist destinations are not usually thought of as stopovers between larger countries. However, I have known some people who have actually had brief stopovers on small islands between larger countries:

1. My former professor who has family in China decades ago actually took a route to China from New York City that had a brief stopover at Honolulu International Airport.

2. I have known a few people from the UK that were able to luck into ultra cheap tickets to the Carribean who wanted to visit the USA. In these cases, the combo of UK to Carribean to USA was actually cheaper than UK directly to USA.

3. I know someone who went from South Africa to Asia with a brief stopover in the Indian Ocean Island nation of Mauritius.

So has anyone ever had any exotic stopovers at places like Honolulu, Mauritius, etc in between larger destinations?

Thanks
Most peoples exotic stop-overs are my vacation or business destinations. Honolulu is not that exotic really. The only one I can really think of is a refueling stop in Cape Verde on the way to South Africa.

Other stops, not really exotic or exceptional as both are international hubs, but I have made numerous stop-overs in Tokyo and Dubai on the way to this or that and it still amazes me I have yet to step out of the airports to visit these places.

Old 10-18-2021, 11:15 AM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
I've had stopovers in Honolulu and Maui so often, they don't register as exotic.
Of course, I lived near Hilo on the Big Island, back when there weren't many direct flights.

Old 10-18-2021, 01:27 PM

6,801 posts, read 4,243,396 times
It's all relative isn't it? Many years ago I flew Amsterdam-Los Angeles and the stopover was in Memphis. This was on Northwest. It seemed pretty damn exotic to me at the time given I had never been to the South before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation