Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 04:02 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I would like to know how they figure that. According to Wikipedia, DIA is second to King Fahd International Airport. But looking at the information for the King Fahd Airport, it's a fairly unremarkable two runway airport with a small simple terminal and a fraction of the passenger traffic that DIA has. Lots a vacant land around an airport doesn't make it a large airport.
It's land mass/area the airport sits on.

Lots of vacant land around the terminals/runways at DIA as well, but technically it's still a part of the airport property.

These Are the World’s Largest Airports—and More Than Half Are in the USA

Quote:
Despite its massive size, on the civilian side, King Fahd International Airport, with 10 million passengers annually, is a much smaller player; the other main Saudi Arabia airports, in Riyadh and Jeddah, outrank it in passenger traffic. On its website, the airport provides the dimensions for its commercial airport footprint within the larger 300-square-mile area: around 14 square miles, which still puts it in the top 20 biggest airports. But a spokesperson for Guinness World Records confirmed to AFAR that King Fahd is indeed regarded as the world’s number one largest airport in their book, based on the land it occupies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 12:43 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
It's land mass/area the airport sits on.

Lots of vacant land around the terminals/runways at DIA as well, but technically it's still a part of the airport property.

These Are the World’s Largest Airports—and More Than Half Are in the USA
Yeah, I call BS on that. According to Google Maps, King Fahd is less than 5 miles long and 3 miles wide. So about 15 square miles. There is just no way it's anywhere close to 300 square miles. They appear to be using undeveloped land which is not even attached to the airport property to inflate the size.

Yes, Denver has undeveloped land too, but most of it is currently being used for the six 12,000 foot plus runways. The rest will be used for six additional runways when the airport is completely built out.

The King Fahd Airport will never be anything close to the size of Denver. At least not the actual airfield.

Old 01-11-2024, 12:52 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
There are many small airports with just one runway of approximately 3500 by 75 feet.

Upolu on the Big Island of Hawaii and Skagway in SE Alaska come to mind

Old 01-11-2024, 01:00 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Yeah, I call BS on that. According to Google Maps, King Fahd is less than 5 miles long and 3 miles wide. So about 15 square miles. There is just no way it's anywhere close to 300 square miles. They appear to be using undeveloped land which is not even attached to the airport property to inflate the size.

Yes, Denver has undeveloped land too, but most of it is currently being used for the six 12,000 foot plus runways. The rest will be used for six additional runways when the airport is completely built out.

The King Fahd Airport will never be anything close to the size of Denver. At least not the actual airfield.
You can call it whatever you want, you do know Google Maps is NOT the end all and be all, right?

I have no idea where the actual property lines are for either DEN or DMM.
Guinness World Records has some stringent requirements in order to make it onto their record list, I would assume they did a thorough investigation and verified that the land mass/area of these airports are indeed what they say they are. I'm pretty sure they didn't go by Google Maps!

The link I provided and quote I posted even said "the dimensions for its commercial airport footprint within the larger 300-square-mile area: around 14 square miles", so what you are seeing on Google Maps, which you kindly posted, is the commercial part of the airport (your about 15 square miles) and you can't see where the 300-suqare-mile boundary lines are for DMM.

Last edited by Lizap; 01-12-2024 at 01:11 PM..

Old 01-11-2024, 01:31 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
You can call it whatever you want, you do know Google Maps is NOT the end all and be all, right?

I have no idea where the actual property lines are for DEN or DMM. Maybe you can drive from Oregon to DEN and walk the perimeter and measure the boundary lines for us!

Guinness World Records has some stringent requirements in order to make it onto their record list, I would assume they did a thorough investigation and verified that the land mass/area of these airports are indeed what they say they are. I'm pretty sure they didn't go by Google Maps!
You know that the Guinness Book is not the end all, right?

The maps speak for themselves. If you want to believe that a small two runway airport is bigger than a six runway airport with room for six more runways, then you believe what you want.

Old 01-11-2024, 10:27 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
Largest - Atlanta (guess that's busiest)...Denver takes up a bunch of real estate. Intl went to Charles De Gaul once...

Smallest - lol...it's made of grass i think....well, the shortest was. But we did have one that was about a 20 foot wide runway. Standing fingers to fingers with arms outstretched, three of us were able to reach from one side of the runway to the other...the wings on the cessna stuck out over the edge. Somewhere there's a photo of it, was great fun.

Old 02-24-2024, 12:16 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Largest: Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), Beijing Capital (PEK), Atlanta Hartsfield (ATL), London Heathrow (LHR), Denver International (DEN)

Smallest: Long Island Mac Arthur (ISP), Westchester County Airport (HPN), both in New York State

Old 02-27-2024, 02:06 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
I have been in 4-seat puddle jumpers 3x (Alaska, Norway, Iceland) that weren't using any airport, just backcountry water!

Old 02-27-2024, 09:29 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Largest (LAX/SFO/DEN/DTW/IAH/ORD/DFW/ATL/IAD/JFK pretty much all the major or former major hubs from 1990s) & Paris (ORY)
Smallest would be Cuyahoga County Airport; CGF and Burke Lakefront BKL

Old 02-28-2024, 12:31 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Smallest would be Youngstown. Largest would probably be Ohare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation