Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 02:02 PM

37 posts, read 90,757 times

Advertisements

From an African American Man from Baltimore:

How can black people get upset at whites for leaving the city when you don't want to build anything for yourselves and your children?!! Stop blaming the white man for every ill, "imagined or not." All these fools from Baltimore's best schools, Western, Poly, City College are running this town (into PERDITION).

God wiped his ass with this city and negro politicians supplied the toilet paper!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 06:38 PM

251 posts, read 721,790 times
Where did you get the idea that black people were upset at white people leaving the city?

Old 04-11-2011, 07:05 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruler Ra View Post
From an African American Man from Baltimore:

How can black people get upset at whites for leaving the city when you don't want to build anything for yourselves and your children?!! Stop blaming the white man for every ill, "imagined or not." All these fools from Baltimore's best schools, Western, Poly, City College are running this town (into PERDITION).

God wiped his ass with this city and negro politicians supplied the toilet paper!!!
Whites have been leaving Baltimore for 40 odd years now. Is this news to you?

You should know though there is increasing white population in certain neighborhoods in Baltimore.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:23 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times
Baltimore City was the only jurisdiction in the state to lose residents; in fact, as a whole, Maryland grew by 9 percent or 480,000 residents.
Over the last decade, Baltimore City’s population decreased by about 1 percent with about roughly 30,000 fewer Black residents living in the area than Whites. The city now has 620,961 residents, a 4.6 percent loss and at least 10,000 fewer than city officials had anticipated.

| The Afro-American Newspapers | Your Community. Your History. Your News.

The article points out although the city lost population, the numbers lost by Blacks moving to the burbs are at a higher percentage than whites. It's a new day for the city. It now looks like blacks need to be wondering why a higher percentage of other blacks are leaving than whites.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:02 AM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Baltimore City was the only jurisdiction in the state to lose residents; in fact, as a whole, Maryland grew by 9 percent or 480,000 residents.
Over the last decade, Baltimore City’s population decreased by about 1 percent with about roughly 30,000 fewer Black residents living in the area than Whites. The city now has 620,961 residents, a 4.6 percent loss and at least 10,000 fewer than city officials had anticipated.

The article points out although the city lost population, the numbers lost by Blacks moving to the burbs are at a higher percentage than whites. It's a new day for the city. It now looks like blacks need to be wondering why a higher percentage of other blacks are leaving than whites.

I think the City's black population is decreasing at both ends of the spectrum. .. both lower income blacks and upper income blacks... Both groups moving to the suburbs likely for the same reasons as many whites did a generation ago....lower crime, better schools, more appealing (surburban style) larger homes or newer apartments. Same thing is occuring in DC though many of the lower income blacks are being pushed out by gentrification.. Bmo it is more by choice.

I cant blame upper or lower income blacks for leaving the City. Employment opportunities, lifestyle choices etc may prompt many blacks raised in the City to choose a different lifestyle than their parents. This is not different than many whites who left the City decades before. Yes, some left because of the decline of the City.. but I am sure others left to pursue the suburban dream of a lawn, strip malls, and a two car garage that many black families from the City now pursue. Its all cyclical. Now many whites find sections of the City more appealing after a generation or two has been raised in the suburban lifestyle and now seek something different... and an alternative to $4 a gallon gas and the big SUVs...That alternative is now becoming the City or cities in general and zip car. The challenge that we all know is the other lifestyle choices such as schools and crime.. which are probably the two biggest factors holding back the City.

It amazes me that Catholic Schools/Religious Schools in general have declined in the City. Their tuition is not that expensive and they offer an alternative for those who dont want to use the public schools. Seems like these types of schools or atleast Charters would find strong neighborhoods to locate in and assist with the revitalization of neighborhoods????

Old 04-12-2011, 09:47 AM

107 posts, read 584,729 times
what?...okay, so I'm highly offended from this post. Clearly, you are upset so I won't go off on a tangent. I grew up in Baltimore city and I am a friendly, professional and highly educated African American girl. Although I don't currently live in the city anymore (due to high taxes!), I won't let anyone talk bad about a city I love. If you don't like the city, then move!!! You are not a slave. You have a choice to live anywhere in the world. I would suggest you relocate outside of the city where you will be much happier....good luck!

Old 04-12-2011, 02:13 PM

251 posts, read 721,790 times
I'm pretty sure everyone on this board agrees that steady population loss has resulted in massive blight in the city. I'm pretty sure that any economist will tell you that white flight in the 60s and continued disinvestment have resulted in a tax base too small to sustain the public services needed in Baltimore.

But I can't find anyone blaming individuals, white or black, for leaving the city. Some people blame the city for not doing enough to attract businesses and residents, but that's a different topic altogether.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:57 PM

7,019 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Allegany County lost residents too, except for the importation of prisoners from downstate, which are counted (at least for now) in our census numbers. Otherwise, we continue to decline in population as well.

Quote:

Old 04-13-2011, 07:13 AM

239 posts, read 759,828 times
Quote:

Ding! We have a winner.

There is no white flight in Baltimore. There is flight.

People that want to leave, are leaving.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:40 AM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
Ding! We have a winner.

There is no white flight in Baltimore. There is flight.

People that want to leave, are leaving.

I would add 'want to and are able to'.. What Baltimore needs to guard against is chasing the middle class that may not necessarily want to...but because of conditions are driven to leave the city because they are to some degree able to leave the City. The senior citizens, the poor, the impoverished, factions of the criminal element(which are not all necessarily the same as the aforementioned groups), and those heavily dependent on social service.. may be stuck in Baltimore whether they want to leave or not. The City could become a tale of two cities.. the Rich and the Poor which would be an unhealthy combination
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore