Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 12:14 PM

3 posts, read 11,399 times

Advertisements

My gf wants to get rid of one of our cars and buy a moped for city driving. We move to Baltimore in Aug. So, I don't know how city driving is, if it's safe to ride a moped, and if they are stolen easily. Do you know if they need to be insured in MD? Or if you need a motorcycle license to drive them?

Thanks for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 09:45 AM

193 posts, read 541,317 times
I do know that around my university campus I would see various moped parts locked to street signs and no signs of a moped. I personally wouldn't be comfortable locking it up somewhere, hoping it was still there when I returned. Heck, people steal locked locks, car alarms and all without much trouble. I wouldn't drive a motorcycle, bicycle or moped in the city because I worry about my safety (ie car accidents). Other people do it though.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:13 PM

757 posts, read 2,553,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theleftway View Post
My gf wants to get rid of one of our cars and buy a moped for city driving. We move to Baltimore in Aug. So, I don't know how city driving is, if it's safe to ride a moped, and if they are stolen easily. Do you know if they need to be insured in MD? Or if you need a motorcycle license to drive them?

Thanks for your help!!!
Unless the rules have changed recently, you don't need a motorcycle license or insurance. I'm not sure what you mean by a moped--I'm thinking of an motorized or electric bicycle. I'd stick to a scooter that can travel at close to normal traffic speed for safety if you're planning to ride it regularly. It's also less likely to be stolen being heavier and, depending on how much you're willing to pay, come with an ignition lock or alarm. I'd also make sure that you have a secure or visible place to park it at your new place.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:36 AM

152 posts, read 487,499 times
I could be wrong (as I often am), but I don't think you need to license, insure or register a moped or motor scooter if the motor size is under 50cc. This is why you see so many people riding these things around town and being generally irresponsible. As for locking them, you should get a heavy duty Kryptonite U lock and a nice and thick hardened steel chain lock and you'll be fine.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:38 AM

805 posts, read 2,114,714 times
i would like to get a scooter.

i think atariwhizkid is right about not having to license, insure, or register a scooter if it's 50cc and under.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:39 AM

2,713 posts, read 3,022,844 times
Old Topic I know.

I think you need a moped operating license ($45 fee) if you do not have a regular drivers license. They can't go over 30 or 40mph I believe. Which in downtown Baltimore Traffic, from what I've seen at times people are lucky to go over 25.
I've seen a lot more in the county Owings Mills, Pikesville, Randallstown Area.

I'm seriously thinking of getting one. I'm so tired of the metro. It'll be a decent ride for me I'll probably have to avoid liberty Rd. in some spots. lol.
But seems like a good way to save money.

Needs better options for parking them in county and city but hopefully that's coming. soon. I've seen them tied to the bike racks around the harbor occasionally.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:31 AM

775 posts, read 1,784,190 times
Maryland may not require insurance, but I would get insurance on any motorized vehicle I was going to drive on public streets. If you hit a pedestrian, for example, (even if they walk out in front of you) you are going to get sued and without insurance the liability is on you. Also, the kryptonite lock and hardened steel chain are irrelevant if you use them to secure your cycle to a flimsy street sign. I have seen many street signs pulled up from the ground (even concrete when they get loose) and the bikes stolen. Theives are also using battery powered sawz-alls to cut through locks and street sign posts. Find a secure parking area or secure your cycle to something substantial.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:45 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,037,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
They can't go over 30 or 40mph I believe.
30 mph per Maryland MVA (http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Vehicle-Services/REG/scooter.htm - broken link).

New To Scooters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore