Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 04:40 PM

74 posts, read 116,996 times

Advertisements

Blacks learn violence from whites and now media wanna portray us as the bad guy. Ima be hated my whole life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 03:04 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
In theory it works like that. The county I live in is heavily desegregated. The schools are desegregated. The NAACP is constantly here screaming that they want parity in the schools. The department of justice is involved. The school boundary lines are all over the place and kids get bused miles from their closest school in many cases. It creates a school system that is in constant flux and it takes away from the schools main reason for existing. To teach children.
Here's an example by a local group. This is in today's paper.

The Daily Reflector

They will not settle until the school system is perfect in their own eyes.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:06 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,559,266 times
Baltimore has worse racial tensions than anywhere else I've seen or lived. IMO it's a combination of historical things - Jim Crow legacy, blacks and whites competing for the same industrial jobs in the early part of the 20th century, etc. The only other major city I can think of that has that combination is St Louis, which is also a mess when it comes to race relations.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:08 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,559,266 times
Quote:
There is a thread here wondering whether Maryland is north or south.

Welcome to the south. Significant areas of Maryland are very segregated. With the headquarters of the NAACP being in Baltimore, I've often wondered why they allow this.
Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston, etc are among the most integrated cities in the country. Well that's what I've been told; not sure I believe it.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:04 PM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston, etc are among the most integrated cities in the country. Well that's what I've been told; not sure I believe it.

One thing that those cities have in common is that they have large middle and upper income african american populations which has probably made "intergration" alot easier since it is less about white or black and more about GREEN. The disparity between white family and blacks is less than in say a Baltimore or Philadelphia so you may not have as much racial tension as you have in some of the older poorer post industrial cities....

Old 05-19-2012, 11:19 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
There is a thread here wondering whether Maryland is north or south.

Welcome to the south. Significant areas of Maryland are very segregated. With the headquarters of the NAACP being in Baltimore, I've often wondered why they allow this.
To me, Maryland is simply a mid-Atlantic State. Then again, I am from the West Coast so what do I know, eh? Before coming to Maryland, I spent near 5 years living in New England. In my opinion, Maryland has more in common with New England than it does with the South.

As for the NAACP, I had know idea they were headquartered in Baltimore. Knowing that now, my eyebrows are raised. I would think that a group who aims to "advance" its own people would put more effort in the city it is headquartered. What kind of model/example does Baltimore set for the NAACP? At least Chicago had room for a black middle class back in the day. And Chicago was a heavily segregated city, too.

No matter how you slice it, the politics and policies of Baltimore do not add up. You can cite corruption or segregation all you want. The fact remains that it is 2012 and Baltimore, a major U.S. city, has half of itself on the verge of being 3rd World. That is a shame because Baltimore truly could be America's City for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsMass View Post
Isn't Baltimore 63.7% black? Aren't a large amount of our politicians and police officers black?

I don't see how you could possibly complain about this in Baltimore today.
Yes, Baltimore is between 60-70% black, depending on which statistics you look at. The majority population usually contributes the highest percentage towards crime statistics. Look at the cities that are predominately white and you will see that whites do most of the crime. Look at cities that are predominantly Hispanic, and you will see that they contribute the most to crime statistics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddiva View Post
young African-Americans from Baltimore into one category. I'm a 26 year old Baltimorean and I just get frustrated that people of other races who happen to live in the city are so darn prejudgmental. I would love to make friends with people of other cultures. From my experience, it seems like it's a crime to go to an establishment (such as a bar) that is not predominately Black. I mean hello, this isn't the 1960s!

Though I have a love/hate relationship with Baltimore, it's leaning more towards hate because of the city's racial tensions.
This happens most places, and with all ethnicities. I really do not appreciate blacks, or Natives, assuming I am racists simply because I am white. I am from California, a state where blacks are "notorious" for their dislike of Koreans.

Who is prejudging you? Non-blacks, whites, or other?

Old 05-19-2012, 11:24 AM

835 posts, read 1,040,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
This happens most places, and with all ethnicities. I really do not appreciate blacks, or Natives, assuming I am racists simply because I am white. I am from California, a state where blacks are "notorious" for their dislike of Koreans.

Who is prejudging you? Non-blacks, whites, or other?

In California ghettos there are tons of Koreans living amongst blacks. They have stores in ghettos too.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Yes, Baltimore is between 60-70% black, depending on which statistics you look at. The majority population usually contributes the highest percentage towards crime statistics. Look at the cities that are predominately white and you will see that whites do most of the crime. Look at cities that are predominantly Hispanic, and you will see that they contribute the most to crime statistics.

This happens most places, and with all ethnicities.
In 2008, whites were 65.50% of the population of the US. Hispanics were 14.9% and blacks were 12.84%. The remainder were mixed race and Asian/Pacific Inlanders.

Black comprised 34.9% of the prison population. Blacks are jailed at a much higher rate than any other group.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:30 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,672 times
Quote:
In 2008, whites were 65.50% of the population of the US. Hispanics were 14.9% and blacks were 12.84%. The remainder were mixed race and Asian/Pacific Inlanders.

Black comprised 34.9% of the prison population. Blacks are jailed at a much higher rate than any other group.

Yes, but he was saying there are areas where whites are violent. Look at some of the white ghettos in the US.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
Yes, but he was saying there are areas where whites are violent. Look at some of the white ghettos in the US.
What he said was that crimes are committed at a rate that is equal to the racial makeup of the area. I live in Greenville NC which is over 60% white. Violent crime here is committed by blacks at a great number over whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore