Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 08:57 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times

Advertisements

With the Expanded and New NEC , MARC Penn line service will take about 45minutes , and New stations added by 2030.

Penn Line

Wilmington1,10,11
Newark1,10
Elkton

Perryville
Havre De Grace
Aberdeen
Edgewood
Martin State Airport
Middle River
Bayview2
Elmwood Park
North Broadway3

Penn Station5,6,7,8,10,11
West Baltimore2,5
Oaklee
Halethorpe
BWI Airport4,5,10,11
Severn
Odenton
Bowie State5
Seabrook
New Carrollton10,11,12,13
Union Station10,11,12

1- Future Amtrak Downstate Delaware Service to Dover , Milford , Salisbury , Ocean City, Maryland
2- Connections to Future Red line Service
3- Connections to Future Green line Service
4- Connections to Future Yellow line service
5- Connections to Future MARC LA Plata line
6- Connections to Future MARC Fredrick & Westminster lines

7- Connections to Future Amtrak Northwestern Service
8- Connections to Baltimore Light Rail
9- Connections to Baltimore Metro
10- Connections to Amtrak Service
11- Connections to Future Next Gen High Speed Rail
12- DC Metro Service

13- Connections to Future Purple line

Last edited by DarkWolf; 08-04-2012 at 09:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 11:21 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,047 times
I'll have what Nexis4Jersey is drinking.

It all sounds great, but I'd be surprised to see even one of those improvements happening.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:05 PM

332 posts, read 1,280,092 times
In CT some of the local towns were fighting against the Acela going high speed.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:54 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyLisa View Post
In CT some of the local towns were fighting against the Acela going high speed.
And they lost badly....that was 20 years....these days you have towns fight for Rail Projects...

Old 08-06-2012, 10:41 AM

575 posts, read 554,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo16 View Post
I'll have what Nexis4Jersey is drinking.

It all sounds great, but I'd be surprised to see even one of those improvements happening.
The funding for most of these projects is already there.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:55 PM

8,232 posts, read 13,353,185 times
As one of those commuters (Baltimore to DC) I have seen the numbers of commuters leaving Baltimore Penn and those getting on/off at W. Baltimore increase tremendously over the past six years. W. Baltimore is already in the process of doubling the size of their parking lot to accomodate riders. Back when the housing market was booming.. Live Baltimore used to sponsor Happy Hours in DC to share with residents the benefits of living in Baltimore. There were also extensive adverisements in the DC Metro Subway with catchy ads that said something like "A Yard in DC".. a condo balcony..
A Yard in Baltimore" a single family home with large yard in Roland Park, Lauraville or Ashburton. I imagine that they will resume their campaign in earnest as the market slowly rebounds. If the transit time between DC and Baltimore is reduced, economical, and convenient.. I could not imagine that it wouldnt benefit the City.. The issue with taxes is still be an issue.. but one would have to weigh it against all other taxes, fees, time, lifestyle and quality of life amenities....etc of other areas one would want and could afford in other parts of the Region.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:21 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Maybe, but you'd have to convince people that living in Baltimore City is "smart", which won't be done until the city is seen as getting a handle on its myriad problems.

The Metro DC area is a "suburban" area, let's be truthful about that. The New Urbanism has yet to take hold here, if it ever will. Wishing isn't going to make it so.

there are already people who commute from Baltimore city to DC. When we were up for artscape, my wife and I looked at the lobby of the new building on Mt Royal (The Poe? The Raven?) Very nice, short walk to Union Station, and you get a 2BR for the same rent as a 1BR in any comparable building in central DC. You can probably find similar rents in some suburban DC locations (though not in areas that are both walking distance to metro AND desirable) but then you're A. still stuck with a commute and B. in the suburbs

Old 08-08-2012, 03:03 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Taxes and crime (whether true or just the perception) are the two highest hurdles. The number of commuters you referenced, is that from the City or includes the County, also?

the target areas for would be DC commuters (like myself) are areas within walking distance of the stations. Right now, its a faster trip on the Penn Line, but the nabes near Camden station seem safer. If you could speed up the Camden line to be as fast as the Penn Line, that would be a leg up for Otterbein and Ridgelys Delight.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:28 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
And who will pay for it? The Eastern Shore and Western Maryland taxpayers who subsidize the DC Metro, the Baltimore Metro, the Light Rail, the MTA buses, and the ICC?

Old 08-10-2012, 04:05 PM

575 posts, read 554,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
And who will pay for it? The Eastern Shore and Western Maryland taxpayers who subsidize the DC Metro, the Baltimore Metro, the Light Rail, the MTA buses, and the ICC?
I'd like to hope we'd see public and private funding but I'm doubtful that'd happen with something like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore