Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 03:32 AM

661 posts, read 1,248,324 times

Advertisements

I missed out on a $5K house in a shady part of town. Had I bought it, I would use it to experiment with fixing it (this is usually how you learn, by actually doing the work).

Back to the subject:

I notice a lot of houses that looked like it got burned or the door or windows got busted and replaced with wood (it looks boarded up but people live in them). I'm guessing these homeowners are either poor or just don't have home insurance to pay for the replacement of a busted door or windows. Is it mandatory to have home insurance in Baltimore city or is this optional? This is just a question. I know it's always wise to have insurance.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:25 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
Is it mandatory to have home insurance in Baltimore city or is this optional?
This is just a question. I know it's always wise to have insurance.
The only party that requires you to have insurance (anywhere) would be a lender.
If your equity is low enough they'll also insist on the escrow payment to assure it.

The common law assumption is that only a fool won't take reasonable care to protect
themselves from possible risks like FIRE. But (afaik) not even your next door, common wall
neighbor can FORCE you to have insurance.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:47 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The only party that requires you to have insurance (anywhere) would be a lender.
If your equity is low enough they'll also insist on the escrow payment to assure it.

The common law assumption is that only a fool won't take reasonable care to protect
themselves from possible risks like FIRE. But (afaik) not even your next door, common wall
neighbor can FORCE you to have insurance.
You saved me from having to type it. This. ^^^

Old 08-03-2012, 01:51 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
The only time you wouldn't have to have property insurance is if you did an all cash deal with no secured loan on the property.

Some people will drop their homeowner's insurance when they pay off their mortgage. I know quite a few people who drop their flood insurance (see where I live) and regret it the next time a tropical storm hits.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:02 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The only time you wouldn't have to have property insurance is if you did an all cash deal with no secured loan on the property.

Some people will drop their homeowner's insurance when they pay off their mortgage. I know quite a few people who drop their flood insurance (see where I live) and regret it the next time a tropical storm hits.
Do they really? For a house anywhere on the Chesapeake, that's the one type of insurance I absolutely wouldn't drop (and I'm not even a fan of insurance lol).

Old 08-03-2012, 07:10 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
Do they really? For a house anywhere on the Chesapeake, that's the one type of insurance I absolutely wouldn't drop (and I'm not even a fan of insurance lol).

Yep. One guy I've mentioned before on here (other Forums) was flooded out at least 4 times between 1988 and 2003. He'd cancelled his insurance because at $550/year it was too expensive. He was right on the Bay at an elevation above mean high tide of about 2 ft. Each event (and the 4 times were tropical storms, not the random nuisance flooding from higher than normal tides) it cost him $50K-$100K. After Isabel in 2003 he had the opportunity to get a grant to raise his house and he farted around deciding until the time ran out. He then decided to raise the house and asked me to help him get the grant. There was no way to do it so he's stayed mad at me. He did raise it for $80K.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:59 AM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,453 times
You need it to register your property for a lead paint test if you're going to lease it. That said, there are still homes for $5000 and less around town.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:24 AM

6 posts, read 6,161 times
Owning an abandoned house can expose you to all sorts of liabilities. It's not something to enter into without very serious consideration of possible downsides that involve City regulations and code enforcement, nuisance laws, premises liability, and your safety while working on the building. If you feel like it's something you positively have to do then you should consider forming a business entity (Inc or LLC) and then having the entity buy the property.

The reason why there are so many empty buildings in Baltimore is that they actually have negative value. They aren't useable, would cost more than they're worth to fix, and there's no market for housing in much of the city. The cost of tearing down and hauling away what's there is greater than the potential value of the empty lot. And so the decay perpetuates itself.

There's no sign of the free market wanting to restore Baltimore's abandos. I can foresee a day when the City gets tough on owners of abandoned housing and tries to force them to make improvements or pay serious penalties. That's where having some liability shield would be super handy.

Good luck out there. Be safe.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:48 PM

206 posts, read 472,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterlou View Post
Owning an abandoned house can expose you to all sorts of liabilities ...
Dude, how many old and quiet threads are you going to re-open with your non sequiturs just to moan about your bad year in Baltimore? It didn't work for you, waaah, we get it already.

And then here, even when you're kinda right (lots of buildings are worth negative money, duh) you're wrong that the city could ever "get tough" on owners. In Rem vs In Personam for a vacant building. The city could take tons of buildings through the courts if they wanted to. And they did for a while with Project 5000, and most of them stayed as worthless as they were before. Meanwhile they are pretty tough these days with code enforcement in the neighborhoods that are salvageable.

I hope you won't have six messages of this a day going forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore