Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2013, 12:42 PM

14,481 posts, read 20,667,037 times

Advertisements

Is this site, seen in the photo, now a residential area or other?
Can anyone name the street where this business was located in White Marsh, Md?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
What is now located at this site from 1946?-image015-150x150.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 12:59 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Is this site, seen in the photo, now a residential area or other?
Can anyone name the street where this business was located in White Marsh, Md?
Google map for White Marsh Mall
The street is either Pulaski Hwy (US 40E) or it's been plowed over.

The Harry T. Campbell Sons Corporation owned thousands of acres of land
to the east of the planned town center, on both sides of Interstate 95.

Timeline | Sakrete 75th

1945: Harry T. Campbell Sons’ Corp. of White Marsh, MD, becomes the second documented Sakrete Licensee. This agreement would years later prove to be a dramatic role in the growth of Sakrete products from Maine to Virginia.
White Marsh, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-30-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Google map for White Marsh Mall
The street is either Pulaski Hwy (US 40E) or it's been plowed over.
The map also shows that Hwy 40 is quite a few miles long.
Hoping to find out which block of Pulaski Highway was it, where the concrete place was located.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:32 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,098,741 times
I'm going to disagree. I think it may be Old Philadelphia Road (MD 7) just south of Ebeneezer Rd.

1) in 1946 the current Rt 40 was very new. The old Main Rd is now Rt 7 MDRoads: Routes 7-11 The building doesn't look new so I suspect that is the old 'main road'

2) The location I am looking at is a very large quarry, gravel pit, etc. Harry T. Campbell was a large concrete/ paving company at the time and I think that may have been there Aggregate plant.

If you were to go to places where you find retirees in the area you could probably get the exact location. Try a VFW, American Legion or Senior Center take the picture and allow plenty of time!

Last edited by MidValleyDad; 01-31-2013 at 05:43 PM..

Old 02-01-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
I'm going to disagree. I think it may be Old Philadelphia Road (MD 7) just south of Ebeneezer Rd.

1) in 1946 the current Rt 40 was very new. The old Main Rd is now Rt 7 MDRoads: Routes 7-11 The building doesn't look new so I suspect that is the old 'main road'

2) The location I am looking at is a very large quarry, gravel pit, etc. Harry T. Campbell was a large concrete/ paving company at the time and I think that may have been there Aggregate plant.

If you were to go to places where you find retirees in the area you could probably get the exact location. Try a VFW, American Legion or Senior Center take the picture and allow plenty of time!
You are in the area of interest. A friend once lived near that business but it was decades ago. I was wondering if that area has any single or multi-family dwellings, or it is pretty much a commercial area only. It might take a senior citizen living there now, to remember from back then.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:49 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVD
I think it may be Old Philadelphia Road (MD 7) just south of Ebeneezer Rd.
Good catch. That ties in better with the other detail about Campbells lands.

Quote:
I was wondering if that area has any single or multi-family dwellings,
or it is pretty much a commercial area only.
It's a long road.. at various points it's a bit of everything (think US41 in Florida).

See for yourself:
Google "philadelphia rd nottingham baltimore"
go to the map then drill down to street view

Old 02-02-2013, 12:36 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,098,741 times
Quote:
You are in the area of interest. A friend once lived near that business but it was decades ago. I was wondering if that area has any single or multi-family dwellings, or it is pretty much a commercial area only. It might take a senior citizen living there now, to remember from back then.
You might find someone who drove trucks for them or to pick up concrete or other building materials That why I was thinking of a VFW or American Legion. I had similar luck up in New York finding where a distant relative lived 30+ years ago when a local (turned out to be the Mayor) took an interest and called the family that owned the old farm supply store. The man who runs the place now asked An Uncle who used to run it and we found the location. You just need to find someone who did business with them and can remember.

Continuing to look at the map there is another potential. Go further east on Ebeneezer Rd til you get to Eastern Ave. There is another large sand/gravel pit just south of there. It is actually closer to Chase MD but I was also thinking that a rail connection would be very common to such a business and the Pennsylvania/PennCentral/Conrail/Amtrak main line is there. The B&O line is near the other site so either would be reasonable. There are more residences near the Chase site. Do you remember the street they lived on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: