Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 10:35 AM

5 posts, read 12,676 times

Advertisements

My husband and i just bought a small farm in windsor mill (yeah, a farm in windsor mill). We know the area a little bit, but I'm seeking any advice on the community character, local restaurant recommendations, etc... We're in our early 30s and have an infant daughter. From what I've seen, Windsor Mill is a bit older, so I'm especially interested in local activities for young families. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 12:02 PM

13,369 posts, read 27,030,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Lease View Post
From what I've seen, Windsor Mill is a bit older, so I'm especially interested in local activities for young families.
Go to the local library, and pick up the class schedules and bulletins from the County. I think they will have story-times at the libraries, maybe "mommy and me" exercise classes, junior soccer and softball, etc. There's a county park on Windsor Mill Road near the Gwynn Oak Cemetery. They may have a playground there as well as the softball diamonds. The elementary schools all have playgrounds.

The Security Square Mall may have stuff for kids. There may have been a "bounce house" which visited. Also check out the Catonsville YMCA, and this resource: http://catonsville.org/events/restaurantweek.html . There's a restaurant week, farmer's markets, arts &crafts festival, Christmas lighting and Santa parade, etc.

There's nothing special about the restaurants, except for the pit-beef place on Rolling Road and a fried fish place on Lord Baltimore Drive. That is good take-home food. A couple of the motels along Security Blvd had decent sit-down dinner places. I'd also recommend Matthews 1600 in Catonsville for seafood.

Last edited by goldenage1; 02-05-2013 at 12:42 PM..

Old 02-05-2013, 01:33 PM

13,369 posts, read 27,030,896 times
Another nice activity was the September Apple Festival at St. Bartholemew's Episcopal Church, in the 4700 block of Edmundson Avenue. It was a nice, active racially-integrated church if you are looking for a church.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:24 PM

Thanks for the replies. You've given me some promising starting points.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:32 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,512,067 times
Patapsco state park is very near to you and has nice trails for exploration on foot or mountain bike.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:04 AM

I grew up in Columbia and went to Patapsco State park all the time. I havent been there for years. Can't wait to take my daughter there.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:56 PM

9 posts, read 21,349 times
Being a graduate of Woodlawn High '92, my advice would be to look for activities far away from that area. As far as Patapsco Park areas, head to Daniels Dam on a nice spring afternoon and take a few photos before they demolish it. I grew up fishing there, I'm gonna miss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: