Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2013, 04:19 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,253,359 times

Advertisements

It was junior yr. at UB, late '64 or early '65, Chuck Berry was top billed at the Lyric. Now this was surprising in itself because his brand of rock 'n' roll in the mid 60s was passe; at best, it shared fame along with other genres like soul and Motown. This wasn't 1957 anymore, and if not for the British Invasion paying homage to Chuck and the other 50s pioneers, his brand of R 'n' R would've been totally out of the loop. Furthermore, this particular concert, except for him, was all soul artists: Little Walter, Joe Tex, Solomon Burke, et al.

Except for myself and a few mud sharks and coal burners, the audience was black. And they didn't come to see Chuck whom many regarded as "selling out" his blues roots in favor of the style of R 'n' R that whites -- with more spending money -- favored. And sure enough, the applause he got was polite but lukewarm, unlike the rousing cheers the audience gave the "soul" performers.

But I thought he was spot on. He didn't do any of his duckwalking or other fancy footwork; that would never do in front of a black audience. He didn't lazily talk the lyrics as he would later do beginning in the 70s and which irritated the hell out of me. He didn't joke and clown around.

What he did was simply stand in one spot, tap his left foot for rhythm, play guitar just like ringin' a bell, and sing like he sounds on recordings. Saw him several times over the yrs., including at the old Coliseum in '58 when he shared top billing on a card with Buddy Holly and Jerry Lee Lewis -- wow, what a show that was, with each of those superstars trying to outdo the others -- but this '64-'65 performance was his best that I saw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 06:37 AM

759 posts, read 1,357,494 times
Oddly enough, Chuck felt the winds of change at about that time, and released a string of blues oriented albums that continued until "My Ding-a-Ling" was a chart topper in the early seventies. Since then it's been nothing but the oldies review with local pick up bands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore