Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 2,724 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am in customer service and have been for a number of years but only a few in Baltimore. Having lived in a few other comparable cities prior, I am used to the "melting pot" and diversity that is sweeping the country. I am fluent in Spanish and am a 30 y/o black professional.

Since moving to Baltimore, I've noticed a trend that occurs here between February and August and it involves medical professionals relocating to the area from other cities, states and even countries.

Many of these folks are Indian, Middle Eastern and Chinese/Korean and as the years have gone by, I am finding it incredibly difficult to relate to them typically because they have difficulty with the English language. Often during phone calls and interactions, I have to consistently ask them to repeat themselves and working in an industry where we have as many resources online and accessible via email, I often find that these customers are more quick to pick up the phone with their questions and concerns than those who speak perfect English.

I am in no way trying to offend anyone or come across as small-minded or uneducated but the multi-culturalism here in Baltimore particularly with regards to the medical professionals is on a level I've never experienced. I almost burst into tears yesterday after a customer and friend stopped in and didn't speak to me at all while they were looking at my products and materials and speaking Chinese to each other and laughing, etc. They spoke decent English but didn't engage me at all.

Does anyone else in customer service in Baltimore feel the same? Any advice for me? I would really like to be able to get over my fears and find a way to break the ice.

Thanks,

Mare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 01:32 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,864,585 times
I don't think this is a Baltimore issue nor a Medical Professional issue. Comes with the territory when living/working in ANY city. You're going to be exposed to many different people with many different backgrounds. Slow down, take your time and remain patient.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:56 PM

396 posts, read 1,107,064 times
It's like this in the DC suburbs, if that makes you feel any better. This experience was brand new to me too--I had only worked in medium sized metro areas and in those areas (and some university towns) most recent immigrants seemed to want to learn English and be (mostly) friendly as well as hang around with folks who spoke their native language. Not so much here, so it's not just you.

Many of my husband's coworkers speak exclusively in Mandarin Chinese at work; many of our neighbors don't admit to speaking English either and don't like to say even "hi". There are a large concentration of people from other countries in the DC/Baltimore area and I guess they don't have to speak English on a daily basis if they arrange their life only around their ethnic community. I've heard it called living in the "Chinese (or other ethnicity) Bubble." Don't think it is really possible in many metro areas outside of the largest ones.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,146 times
I worked in rentals and I can relate. It's not about multiculturalism...it's about courtesy. They come over here and become doctors and can't even take the time to learn the language or adapt to our way of doing things. Back in my father's generation, the immigrants took the time to learn the language and assimilate, now you've got rocket scientists looking for houses who can't even converse in basic English but somehow managed to get accepted to Johns Hopkins. Sad.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:09 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,907,375 times
This is a very interesting topic. I had to stop using contractors how didn't speak english as a first language on my house because they always pulled the charge more at the end and saying they didn't understand the original agreement. Using their lack of understanding of the language (or pretending) to their advantage.

I also have a friend who installs great signs for businesses. He basically said that none of his business come from foreigners. Koreans use Koreans, Indians use Indians and etc...

Old 05-04-2013, 06:49 AM

537 posts, read 771,224 times
I agree, you just have to be patient. And possibly speak up when you want to be included. Although I do think it's rude (if you have the option to speak English) to speak another language in mixed company, I let it roll off my back most of the time. The opportunities to submerge yourself in English-only company are plentiful in this country.

On a totally different tangent (not necessarily directed at the person who started this discussion), If you don't like accented English or being around people who aren't white and/or who do not share your whitebread culture, why are you living in a major city? Something like 85% of the towns in the US are predominantly white....chill. There's a whole wide world of Vermonts, Maines, and Idahos out there for you to choose from. Unfortunately Maryland is just one of those states (like Hawaii) that have a greater proportion of cultural diversity than other states. So pretty much stay away from the coasts and the random Chicago and Minneapolis type places of the U.S., and you should be ok.

Another tangent: One thing I've observed is some people have a major problem with well-educated immigrants; as long as they're wiping a kids snotty nose, cleaning a house, or mowing a lawn....no worries!

Old 05-05-2013, 12:14 PM

759 posts, read 1,361,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanhvtnymd View Post

On a totally different tangent (not necessarily directed at the person who started this discussion), If you don't like accented English or being around people who aren't white and/or who do not share your whitebread culture, why are you living in a major city? Something like 85% of the towns in the US are predominantly white....chill. There's a whole wide world of Vermonts, Maines, and Idahos out there for you to choose from. Unfortunately Maryland is just one of those states (like Hawaii) that have a greater proportion of cultural diversity than other states. So pretty much stay away from the coasts and the random Chicago and Minneapolis type places of the U.S., and you should be ok.

Another tangent: One thing I've observed is some people have a major problem with well-educated immigrants; as long as they're wiping a kids snotty nose, cleaning a house, or mowing a lawn....no worries!
I don't believe the OP was complaining about accented English or voicing a dislike for non-whites, indeed, she describes herself as a "30 y/o black professional...fluent in Spanish... lived in a few other comparable cities prior, I am used to the 'melting pot' and diversity." She was voicing concerns about persons who are being deliberately rude and unprofessional. Meaning that they are in positions of authority and control over others and don't believe that being competent in the language of their country is important enough to learn. And this is a legitimate concern, particularly in the medical field where a misspelled, mispronounced, or misunderstood word could have serious repercussions.

You seem to imply that (tho, not necessarily directed at the person who started this discussion)the OP is being racist or xenophobic. Telling her to avoid population centers and move to a predominantly white area with "white bread culture" accomplishes nothing. I am sure that those areas have rude, unprofessional people as well, no matter what their language or pronunciation skills.

This is a country of immigrants. We all have different ethnicities, traditions, languages, and histories, and rightfully take pride in them. But to say that "cultural diversity" and its acceptance should be embraced over competency is just plain wrong.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:22 AM

10,261 posts, read 15,986,521 times
IT is a lot worse in the DC area. At least here in Baltimore County I can go to any fast food restaurant and people can speak English to me. In Montgomery County, you will NEVER be able to go to a Popeyes and ask if they can substitute your drink for another side when you are ordering a combo. And once in College Park I was at a Smoothie place and asked simply whether they contained real fruits or was just flavoring, and the illegals working there could not answer. They didn't even understand what I was asking.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:40 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,450,882 times
Default Interesting..

So, what makes you so sure they were "illegals?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
IT is a lot worse in the DC area. At least here in Baltimore County I can go to any fast food restaurant and people can speak English to me. In Montgomery County, you will NEVER be able to go to a Popeyes and ask if they can substitute your drink for another side when you are ordering a combo. And once in College Park I was at a Smoothie place and asked simply whether they contained real fruits or was just flavoring, and the illegals working there could not answer. They didn't even understand what I was asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore