Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 08:08 PM

9,348 posts, read 13,010,796 times

Advertisements

Greetings, Baltimoreans!

My girlfriend and I will be visiting your fine city this Saturday. Other than spending a few hours in the Inner Harbor a few years back (and passing through via car and train on various occasions) I haven't had a whole lot of exposure to Baltimore, so I wanted to consult with real people (as opposed to some tourist trap website) on what to do.

We'll be coming in from Harrisburg late morning. So far our only plans are to walk around the Inner Harbor, visit the National Aquarium, and eat dinner at Roy's at 7:30. What are some fun and interesting things to do (and/or neighborhoods to see) in/around the Inner Harbor in the interim? Better question: what will we have time to do?

Thanks for all your help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 08:42 PM

252 posts, read 425,501 times
I've saved these links from previous posts and websites I've run into:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/bal-50thingstodo-pg,0,2334279.photogallery[/url]

Photos: 25 things to do in Maryland this summer slideshow - Baltimore Business Journal

visiting Baltimore...what to do?

George Hobica: 9 Reasons To Visit Baltimore This Spring (Or Anytime)

Old 07-11-2013, 08:20 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
There is a Carribean festival in Clifton Park this weekend. Would definitely be a different perspective of the city from the Harbor. Or, you might want to experience one of the city's parks (Druid, Patterson, Robert E. Lee) are all nice and unique from one another.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore125 View Post
I've saved these links from previous posts and websites I've run into:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/bal-50thingstodo-pg,0,2334279.photogallery[/url]

Photos: 25 things to do in Maryland this summer slideshow - Baltimore Business Journal

visiting Baltimore...what to do?

George Hobica: 9 Reasons To Visit Baltimore This Spring (Or Anytime)
Which of these things are close to the Inner Harbor? I want to be able to pay for parking once and be done with it.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 07-11-2013 at 09:10 AM..

Old 07-11-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
There is a Carribean festival in Clifton Park this weekend. Would definitely be a different perspective of the city from the Harbor. Or, you might want to experience one of the city's parks (Druid, Patterson, Robert E. Lee) are all nice and unique from one another.
Stopping at a park on the way to the Inner Harbor is an idea. Which of them would you recommend? Druid Hill seems cool.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:15 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,901,291 times
Check out Fort McHenry, a great national park with a lot of history. You can take the free Charm City Circulator there from the Inner Harbor. Also worth checking out the view from atop Federal Hill Park... which is in the Inner Harbor.

Last edited by KLynch10; 07-11-2013 at 09:28 AM..

Old 07-11-2013, 09:18 AM

92 posts, read 173,605 times
I agree with KLynch10, I would definitely check out Fort McHenry. In my opinion it's underrated and overlooked on the national scale, and maybe even the local scale as well. It's not only a cool fort with a lot of historical significance and a state of the art visitor center with a surprisingly good 10 minute movie, but also serves as a nice waterfront park. I was just there last week for the 4th of July (during the day) and had a great time

Old 07-11-2013, 08:07 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,149,679 times
1) Park at the Little Italy Garage at 400 S Central Ave (at Bank St) or at the garage at 501 S. Eden Street for $3.
2) Walk to Fells Point and take the Water Taxi to Ft. McHenry, or walk to Harbor East and take the Water Taxi to the Rusty Scupper stop to get to the American Visionary Art Museum. Buy a day pass on the water taxi.
3) Take the water taxi back to the National Aquarium and spend the afternoon there.
4) Walk to eat
5) Walk back to your car

Personally I'd do Ft. McHenry and the American Visionary Art Museum over the Aquarium, but since you already said you wanted to do the Aquarium I'd pick one of the other two. The Water Taxi offers the best views, though it is certainly more expensive than the Charm City Circulator, but since now you know where the $3 garages are you can use the money that you were going to spend on parking .

Old 07-11-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
1) Park at the Little Italy Garage at 400 S Central Ave (at Bank St) or at the garage at 501 S. Eden Street for $3.
2) Walk to Fells Point and take the Water Taxi to Ft. McHenry, or walk to Harbor East and take the Water Taxi to the Rusty Scupper stop to get to the American Visionary Art Museum. Buy a day pass on the water taxi.
3) Take the water taxi back to the National Aquarium and spend the afternoon there.
4) Walk to eat
5) Walk back to your car

Personally I'd do Ft. McHenry and the American Visionary Art Museum over the Aquarium, but since you already said you wanted to do the Aquarium I'd pick one of the other two. The Water Taxi offers the best views, though it is certainly more expensive than the Charm City Circulator, but since now you know where the $3 garages are you can use the money that you were going to spend on parking .
I don't think I'd do the aquarium again and again, but I feel like it's almost obligatory for a first real visit.

Ft. McHenry sounds cool too. How much is the water taxi though?

I like that itinerary though--gives us time to explore the Inner Harbor a bit, and perhaps even spend some time at Federal Hill Park before going to dinner.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:24 AM

89 posts, read 208,236 times
I think the water taxi is around $8-10 for unlimited rides all day. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, been a couple of years since I've ridden it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: