Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2013, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,105 times

Advertisements

I am a 22 year old single mom (1 daughter, 4 y.o.) currently living in Alabama. I am looking to move far north as I can afford that gets cold during the winter & some snow. I'm also looking to start over. A new start for me & my daughter. My current living situation is horrible and I have waited as long as possible to move out. I have narrowed the move down to Baltimore or Denver, CO. I love the atmosphere of both. I am in school for nursing, after which the plan is double major in chemistry and biology and then medical school (hopefully). So education is fine. Now jobs are the problem. I've heard that many people live in B'more and work in D.C. Which pays great, but the crime rate is pitiful. And I've heard Denver was nice but lacking good pay in jobs. I plan on moving no later than March of 2014 because I'm saving up atleast 3 months rent plus fall back money in case of job loss and emergencies. I do plan on getting a job first and then moving versus moving blindly and not having a source of income. Any one from either area please give me some insight on where to move as well as info on job pay, living, etc. thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 06:13 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,901,291 times
If you want to work in health care, Baltimore may be the top city in the country, there would be no reason to commute to DC. Some people in Baltimore work in DC, but not a lot, it is a pretty strong job market.

Baltimore and the surrounding area has all kinds of different areas, some are pretty dangerous, most are not. I'm sure you could find an area you like.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:15 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,530,472 times
Baltimore will offer more and its in a connected region having other large cities nearby. Denver is very isolated and depressing IMO.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:58 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,426,825 times
Stay in Alabama!

Old 08-06-2013, 06:06 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medschool_22 View Post
I am a 22 year old single mom (1 daughter, 4 y.o.) currently living in Alabama. I am looking to move far north as I can afford that gets cold during the winter & some snow. I'm also looking to start over. A new start for me & my daughter. My current living situation is horrible and I have waited as long as possible to move out. I have narrowed the move down to Baltimore or Denver, CO. I love the atmosphere of both. I am in school for nursing, after which the plan is double major in chemistry and biology and then medical school (hopefully). So education is fine. Now jobs are the problem. I've heard that many people live in B'more and work in D.C. Which pays great, but the crime rate is pitiful. And I've heard Denver was nice but lacking good pay in jobs. I plan on moving no later than March of 2014 because I'm saving up atleast 3 months rent plus fall back money in case of job loss and emergencies. I do plan on getting a job first and then moving versus moving blindly and not having a source of income. Any one from either area please give me some insight on where to move as well as info on job pay, living, etc. thank you very much!
Jobs in healthcare are getting harder to come by. When I moved here in 2008, hospitals were giving $15k signing bonuses, and some were even giving retention bonuses every six months. Those days are over! Check out allnurses: For Nurses and Nursing Students - Latest Articles to find out more information about jobs in both Baltimore and Denver.

Focusing on your goal of medical school, I am inclined to say Baltimore is the better city. Also, look at Albuquerque, NM. You will stand a better chance at getting into medical school and getting a nursing position. UNM's school is very affordable and offers off campus housing for families.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:09 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medschool_22 View Post
I am a 22 year old single mom (1 daughter, 4 y.o.)
I am in school for nursing...
Finish nursing school BEFORE moving.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:15 AM

225 posts, read 429,467 times
If income/costs will be a concern, you might want to check out the cost of living indices. Denver is cheaper:

Cost of Living Index for Selected U.S. Cities | Infoplease.com

On the other hand, I think Baltimore is about the cheapest you will find on the East Coast (the rental prices are about half of DC, at least in the city proper).

I also think you might want to try to finish school first. Many financial experts also suggest at least 6 months and up to 12 months living expenses in the savings account. 3 months can go fast if an emergency arises.

Good luck.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:08 PM

5,172 posts, read 4,947,721 times
No question....Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: