Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 07:07 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,997 times

Advertisements

"The problems mentioned here result from a mutation of Black culture, the mutation being violent, self-defeating, dysfunctional, and disrespectful of authority, the rule of law, work, and education."

*Interesting comment! So, what makes you think that mutations of Black culture is on the only variable that constitute these problems? What do you know about Black culture as oppose to negro culture, Anglo-Saxon culture and so forth? Some social scientist would elude to the fact that White American/Anglo-Saxon cultural paradigm forced upon on an extremely oppressed population has been the problem (i.e. forcing a round peg into a square hole). These cultural mutations has it's origins someplace??! As long as Africans were shipped to the Western Hemisphere, there has been a mutational cultural matrix put in place to solidify dominance and hegemony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
I wonder how many people posting here have any sense of Baltimore's past. The aforementioned problems existed well before the loss of manufacturing jobs and the war on drugs. They existed in the 1950s and 1960s, when anyone with a pulse could get a job in Baltimore, provided he actually wanted a job and had an IQ higher than a baked potato's.

Just for example: Western Electric, once the manufacturing arm of the mighty pre-divestiture Bell System, had a major plant in Baltimore (about 5000 workers), across Broening from Fort Holabird. Management instituted a program in the 1960s called "Project 97" or something like that to deliberately extend the opportunity to work as deeply as possible into the ghetto. The project failed miserably -- once people received a paycheck, they felt no need to show up for work again until they ran out of money. Set an alarm clock to get up on time in the morning? You've got to be kidding.

The problems mentioned here result from a mutation of Black culture, the mutation being violent, self-defeating, dysfunctional, and disrespectful of authority, the rule of law, work, and education. You can read about it in Banfield's Unheavenly City, published circa 1968. A subculture that would rather spend its money on a set of wheels for a donk rather than on an associate's degree from BJC is in a self-imposed death spiral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 07:10 AM

Black folks need for acceptance and validation from White society is a major problem. Instead of seeking acceptance from your own, believing in your own power and intellect, Black folks (especially in Baltimore) are mere slaves.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:21 AM

95 posts, read 171,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltplanner View Post
Obamacare should provide free or really cheap contraception for most women. Just hope the supreme court doesn't knock down the provisions. This portion of the law should be hugely effective in preventing unplanned pregnancies for poor women, which hopefully will help them break the cycle of poverty.
As a pharmacist who had worked in inner city Baltimore, Maryland Medicaid and Planned Parenthood already pay for almost all forms of birth control no matter the cost for these women. Unfortunately, it's not high priority for them to be taking birth control regularly. Contrast that to when I worked in Canton where women would literally be crying because they ran out of refills on their birth control, or how quickly Plan Bflew off the shelves after a Ravens victory!

Old 12-12-2013, 07:23 AM

Planned Parenthood...Margaret Sanger would be proud!!! Lol. Smh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde Pharmer View Post
As a pharmacist who had worked in inner city Baltimore, Maryland Medicaid and Planned Parenthood already pay for almost all forms of birth control no matter the cost for these women. Unfortunately, it's not high priority for them to be taking birth control regularly. Contrast that to when I worked in Canton where women would literally be crying because they ran out of refills on their birth control, or how quickly Plan Bflew off the shelves after a Ravens victory!

Old 12-12-2013, 07:26 AM

416 posts, read 581,294 times
Quote:
The problems mentioned here result from a mutation of Black culture, the mutation being violent, self-defeating, dysfunctional, and disrespectful of authority, the rule of law, work, and education. You can read about it in Banfield's Unheavenly City, published circa 1968. A subculture that would rather spend its money on a set of wheels for a donk rather than on an associate's degree from BJC is in a self-imposed death spiral.
What the hell is "Black culture" and how did you become such an expert on it?

Old 12-12-2013, 07:30 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,457,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltplanner View Post
Obamacare should provide free or really cheap contraception for most women. Just hope the supreme court doesn't knock down the provisions. This portion of the law should be hugely effective in preventing unplanned pregnancies for poor women, which hopefully will help them break the cycle of poverty.
Ah, economic eugenics - good luck with that!

I'm middle class, have two kids; wife would like to be a SAH mom and have more, but 2 is what we can afford to raise responsibly, so 2 is what we have. Being middle class means I have soemthing to lose - all the things I've worked hard from thru the years.

There are two kinds of poverty - absolute poverty and relative poverty. Absolute poverty is the Mother Teresa in India, street beggars, 3rd world hunger poor. Relative poverty is what we have here in the US, in Baltimore City. BC gov and the Sun paper estimates ~4000 homeless in the city; how about in other countries?

The problem is when there are not real consequences, then behaviors do not really change.

I've always thought a great idea would be to offer a lump sum, say between $30K and $50K for medical sterilization for qualifying persons. Think on it - a BCPS student costs ~$13K/year, a MD inmate costs between $28K~$33K/year. Think of the savings to society! But it sure seems creepy 1930s fascist, doesn't it?

Eugenics used to be a thought in the US, but Hitler's outrageous sins more or less quashed that line of thought. Hell, even Margret Sanger, the leader of the women's lib and birth control movement, was thought to be a fascist of sorts.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:09 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
[

*Interesting comment! . . . Some social scientist would elude to the fact that White American/Anglo-Saxon cultural paradigm forced upon on an extremely oppressed population has been the problem (i.e. forcing a round peg into a square hole). These cultural mutations has it's origins someplace??! As long as Africans were shipped to the Western Hemisphere, there has been a mutational cultural matrix put in place to solidify dominance and hegemony.
My old friend Agent_77: Let me address a question to you. Are you aware that slave trade continues today in, for example, the Sudan, and that the unfortunate victims are not coming to the Western world? Many observers hold that this trade is implicitly sanctioned by the government of Sudan, and results from tribal disputes.

More generally, why would it be that Sweden -- for example -- has about fifteen-times the per-capita GDP of Sudan? Why is Sweden on the leading edge of human rights, and Sudan one of the most egregious violators?

My belief is that the difference lies in cultural values more than anything else. Swedish culture, and more generally traditional Western culture, promotes human flourishing (Aristotle called this eudaimonia, and talks at length about beneficial virtues in Nicomachean Ethics, written about 2500 years ago).

As far as pounding a square peg into a round hole -- we see the results of the square peg left to its own devices in Sudan and in inner-city Baltimore. Until liberals stop pretending that the square hole is just as good as the round hole, no progress will be made in improving the lives of square pegs.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:11 AM

"Eugenics used to be a thought in the US, but Hitler's outrageous sins more or less quashed that line of thought. Hell, even Margret Sanger, the leader of the women's lib and birth control movement, was thought to be a fascist of sorts."

*What makes you think the Eugenics program every stopped??! There is an excellent documentary out entitled, "Maafa 21: Black Genocide in the 21st Century" (Maafa 21 - Black Genocide in 21st Century America). It explains will explain much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpark View Post
Ah, economic eugenics - good luck with that!

I'm middle class, have two kids; wife would like to be a SAH mom and have more, but 2 is what we can afford to raise responsibly, so 2 is what we have. Being middle class means I have soemthing to lose - all the things I've worked hard from thru the years.

There are two kinds of poverty - absolute poverty and relative poverty. Absolute poverty is the Mother Teresa in India, street beggars, 3rd world hunger poor. Relative poverty is what we have here in the US, in Baltimore City. BC gov and the Sun paper estimates ~4000 homeless in the city; how about in other countries?

The problem is when there are not real consequences, then behaviors do not really change.

I've always thought a great idea would be to offer a lump sum, say between $30K and $50K for medical sterilization for qualifying persons. Think on it - a BCPS student costs ~$13K/year, a MD inmate costs between $28K~$33K/year. Think of the savings to society! But it sure seems creepy 1930s fascist, doesn't it?

Eugenics used to be a thought in the US, but Hitler's outrageous sins more or less quashed that line of thought. Hell, even Margret Sanger, the leader of the women's lib and birth control movement, was thought to be a fascist of sorts.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:18 AM

Slavery on this planet has never vanished, so that is not a point of contention. You believe "cultural values" are is the only common determiner when discussing how people live out there lives. People's cultures are fluid and overlapping (and you know this!!), and transcends different groups of people over space and time. Just thinking that Western socialization and cultural paradigms is the only, and superior form of reeks of white supremacist ideology.

Quote:
My old friend Agent_77: Let me address a question to you. Are you aware that slave trade continues today in, for example, the Sudan, and that the unfortunate victims are not coming to the Western world? Many observers hold that this trade is implicitly sanctioned by the government of Sudan, and results from tribal disputes.

More generally, why would it be that Sweden -- for example -- has about fifteen-times the per-capita GDP of Sudan? Why is Sweden on the leading edge of human rights, and Sudan one of the most egregious violators?

My belief is that the difference lies in cultural values more than anything else. Swedish culture, and more generally traditional Western culture, promotes human flourishing (Aristotle called this eudaimonia, and talks at length about beneficial virtues in Nicomachean Ethics, written about 2500 years ago).

As far as pounding a square peg into a round hole -- we see the results of the square peg left to its own devices in Sudan and in inner-city Baltimore. Until people stop pretending that the square hole is just as good as the round hole, no progress will be made in improving the lives of square pegs.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:26 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite_heights77 View Post
just thinking that western socialization and cultural paradigms is the only, and superior form of reeks of white supremacist ideology.
q e d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore