Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 06:53 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,426,825 times

Advertisements

"NOI leader got millions for his house from Lybian dictator Gaddafi and that NOI encourages followers to study dianetics.."

*That is false! Ghadiffi was offered Minister Louis Farrakhan $5 Billion gift to help Black people in American ghetto, but the State Department denied such actions because Gaddafi is considered a terrorists. Minister Farrakhan thinks the study of dianetics can help Black folks with some serious, deep psychological issues that hinder the lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barjavel View Post
I don´t know much about NOI but the post was interesting, thus I had a look at Wikipedia. There it is said that, for example, NOI leader got millions for his house from Lybian dictator Gadaffi and that NOI encourages followers to study dianetics..is it ok to trade psychological influence on brains for safety? I mean, kids are very malleable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 12:04 PM

8,245 posts, read 13,364,466 times
I think the gist of what people are saying on here is we need to get back to the basics in some of these areas with residents and community organizations taking a more active roll in their neighborhoods as opposed to looking to the City, State, and Federal Government. The government can certainly be a partner.. but not the sole provider of services, safety, development, etc..etc..... Many people dont like the NOI from the Malcolm X days..though many can agree they did provide structure and guidance to some misguided souls.. though some may want to point to some of their more radical rhetoric. The main thing is civic institutions getting more involved....

Old 02-19-2014, 12:26 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,426,825 times
Getting back to basics means looking out for your community. The Italians, Irish, Germans and Jews did it! We once did this before social integration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I think the gist of what people are saying on here is we need to get back to the basics in some of these areas with residents and community organizations taking a more active roll in their neighborhoods as opposed to looking to the City, State, and Federal Government. The government can certainly be a partner.. but not the sole provider of services, safety, development, etc..etc..... Many people dont like the NOI from the Malcolm X days..though many can agree they did provide structure and guidance to some misguided souls.. though some may want to point to some of their more radical rhetoric. The main thing is civic institutions getting more involved....

Old 02-20-2014, 12:40 PM

569 posts, read 1,443,079 times
Hmm, the last time a vigilante fanatical Muslim group this was tried was in Afganistan when the Taliban started cleaning up the streets of brigands and other renegades. The people, fed up with the crime supported them wholeheartedly at first, until they started cutting off hands and stoning female rape victims for adultry.

Leave policing to the Police.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:01 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,105,848 times
Whatever happened to the Guardian Angels? They tried policing Baltimore streets, but soon disappeared.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:09 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,261,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Whatever happened to the Guardian Angels? They tried policing Baltimore streets, but soon disappeared.

My friend Joe still laughs about Curtis Sliwa's claim that when he was in D.C. on that same recruiting drive that took him through Baltimore, some people abducted him, then threw him into the Potomac River "...like a sack of potatoes."

Old 02-20-2014, 01:31 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,106,864 times
"Why can't The Nation Of Islam help patrol Baltimore streets in heavy crime areas?"

Because they are not trained, experienced, and certified law enforcement officers.

Let me ask the OP or anyone else, who can, answer the following questions:

Does the law even allow the use of NOI security guards for law enforcement activities? (I'm 99.99% sure the answer is no.)

What is the vetting process (i.e. - background check, polygraph, psychological evaluation, etc) for a potential NOI security guard?

What are the legal ramifications (civil and criminal) if an NOI security guard uses deadly force while on patrol?

Or causes a wrongful death or injury?

Or violates someone's civil rights?

Who will be financially responsible for any lawsuits involving actions/inactions taken by an NOI security guard?

Old 02-20-2014, 03:11 PM

8,245 posts, read 13,364,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
"Why can't The Nation Of Islam help patrol Baltimore streets in heavy crime areas?"

Because they are not trained, experienced, and certified law enforcement officers.

Let me ask the OP or anyone else, who can, answer the following questions:

Does the law even allow the use of NOI security guards for law enforcement activities? (I'm 99.99% sure the answer is no.)

What is the vetting process (i.e. - background check, polygraph, psychological evaluation, etc) for a potential NOI security guard?

What are the legal ramifications (civil and criminal) if an NOI security guard uses deadly force while on patrol?

Or causes a wrongful death or injury?

Or violates someone's civil rights?

Who will be financially responsible for any lawsuits involving actions/inactions taken by an NOI security guard?

I dont want to speak for the OP.. but my take on it is that the NOI would be no different than a neighborhood watch.. Anyone in American can organize a crime watch and walk around patrol your neighborhood. Now to detain, arrest, and questioning someone a la George Zimmerman/Florida Style is something totally different.. I believe Deterent/Eyes on the Street is what most law enforcement agencies prefer citizen groups do.. i.e. observe and report.. not necessarily to intervene.. Can be effective especially if the entire community is on board and stands together.. in a "no snitching" culture.. it becomes like Nazi Germany where everyone is suspicious of one another and thus nothing happens and the crime goes unchecked...The link to the article where the City Contracted with the NOI.. I could not open it up so I am not sure what that was about...unless it was the Housing Authority contracting with them to patrol a certain complex.. I cant imagine the City having a blanket contract with any group much less NOI to do Law Enforcement City Wide....

Old 02-21-2014, 11:03 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
"NOI leader got millions for his house from Lybian dictator Gaddafi and that NOI encourages followers to study dianetics.."

*That is false! Ghadiffi was offered Minister Louis Farrakhan $5 Billion gift to help Black people in American ghetto, but the State Department denied such actions because Gaddafi is considered a terrorists. Minister Farrakhan thinks the study of dianetics can help Black folks with some serious, deep psychological issues that hinder the lives.
One minute your ashamed of being Black and disrespecting Baltimore....now your ready to join the Fruit of Islam? You are truly evolving, "Brother" Heights!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore