Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 05:13 PM

389 posts, read 426,706 times

Advertisements

[quote=Calvert Hall '62;37286418][quote=Sunflowery;37281442]At the end of the day, it's not about race. If a large group of Caucasian folks were put into an area where there weren't enough jobs to go around and such, there would be crime
Quote:

I have trouble reconciling the fact that crime, STD, and out of wedlocks are faaaaarrrr worse now 50 years after the Civil Rights Act was passed, along with social engineering regulations like affirmative action, not to mention trillions spent in the War on Poverty, as well as society walking on eggshells for fear of being politically incorrect and offending the "protected" groups, than they were during Jim Crow when there was indeed blatant oppression. Also, while socioeconomic woes might explain robberies, how do they explain rapes, assaults, etc.?

Is that old socioeconomic explanation a dog that won't hunt anymore? Just wonderin'?
If a person of color doesn't wanna take advantage of opportunities that people of color don't have in other countries, then that's on them. My sisters grew up in the projects and they ended up earning their Bachelor's degrees. It may not be a big deal to others that two Black women earned their degrees, but a lot of family friends that my family knew didn't even earn an Associate's degree or trade nor did they even attempt to earn one.

Things are far from perfect for Black people but we do have more ways to prove that we all aren't lazy people who'd wanna live off public assistance.

A lot of these folks that live in the hoods in Baltimore are still stuck there because they feel like they aren't "smart enough" for higher education and/or they're just lazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 05:15 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,872 times
Thanks for the information.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:43 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times
"At the end of the day, it's not about race."

*At the end of the day it's about MONEY! But, race is a runner up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowery View Post
At the end of the day, it's not about race. If a large group of Caucasian folks were put into an area where there weren't enough jobs to go around and such, there would be crime. By throwing the stink out, the citizens should start with City hall. I can't BELIEVE that the next Mayoral election isn't until 2016 (Baltimore election: Next city election to be 2016 - Baltimore Sun)

The government shouldn't be responsible for people who don't know how to use proper birth control. I definitely agree that BPD is understaffed. However, I think that they and other cops around the country need psychological tests.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:45 PM

Social integration was about money!

Old 11-16-2014, 05:50 PM

When we discuss race or racism, we need to be clear about context and keep our emotions out of the discussion. Every white man or woman is not your enemy. Every black man or woman is not your friend.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:58 PM

College is not for everyone, nor should it be mandatory for one to be successful in society. True, some people are lazy and don't give a damn. But, there are some who want what's best for the families and work towards such endeavors.

[quote=Sunflowery;37287846][quote=Calvert Hall '62;37286418]
Quote:
At the end of the day, it's not about race. If a large group of Caucasian folks were put into an area where there weren't enough jobs to go around and such, there would be crime

If a person of color doesn't wanna take advantage of opportunities that people of color don't have in other countries, then that's on them. My sisters grew up in the projects and they ended up earning their Bachelor's degrees. It may not be a big deal to others that two Black women earned their degrees, but a lot of family friends that my family knew didn't even earn an Associate's degree or trade nor did they even attempt to earn one.

Things are far from perfect for Black people but we do have more ways to prove that we all aren't lazy people who'd wanna live off public assistance.

A lot of these folks that live in the hoods in Baltimore are still stuck there because they feel like they aren't "smart enough" for higher education and/or they're just lazy.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:46 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,090,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
In terms of percentage?

Was my understanding that B'mo has about 64% black people while Detroit has 82%.
I was thinking total population wise. I thought that Detroit had a similar demographic makeup of whites in the burbs but maybe not. Baltimore can be misleading because this city does not seem to have 25% of its population white. Not counting temporary college students either.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:34 AM

389 posts, read 426,706 times
[quote=Infinite_heights77;37300086]College is not for everyone, nor should it be mandatory for one to be successful in society. True, some people are lazy and don't give a damn. But, there are some who want what's best for the families and work towards such endeavors.

[quote=Sunflowery;37287846]That's why I mentioned trade school. Without a trade school diploma or college degree, it's gonna be hard as hell to make it in this city (unless you happen to become a successful entrepreneur).

Another issue is the minimum wage rate in this state but that's a whole different topic and forum.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:49 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,090,492 times
[quote=Sunflowery;37308471][quote=Infinite_heights77;37300086]College is not for everyone, nor should it be mandatory for one to be successful in society. True, some people are lazy and don't give a damn. But, there are some who want what's best for the families and work towards such endeavors.

Quote:

That's why I mentioned trade school. Without a trade school diploma or college degree, it's gonna be hard as hell to make it in this city (unless you happen to become a successful entrepreneur).

Another issue is the minimum wage rate in this state but that's a whole different topic and forum.
I agree. Out West and in places lik Texas have the oil and energy sphere which does not require a fancy degree to make a living. In Maryland you need to work really hard just to pay rent or mortgage. We rely on Hopkins immensely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore