Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2014, 06:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,405 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm new to this forum! I am planning to move to Baltimore from Las Vegas, and I'm not sure exactly when but sometime in the next 1-2 years. I've been researching Baltimore neighborhoods to decide where I'd want to live, but I figured I'd turn to the source and ask the people who live there what they think

My best friend lives in Halethorpe and actually at first I would live with her and her mom's dad in his house, so I would have some time on the ground to actually go see these neighborhoods and decide with her where we'd want to live. But I want to have an idea beforehand of the kind of areas I'd be interested in.

Basically we're looking to move into the cheapest possible option in an area where we aren't in danger of being shot if we step outside. My friend is currently moving through college and I'm not going to college, so we're working for barely over minimum wage here. So while areas like Bolton Hill/Federal Hill/Hampton seem cool, we have to stick to a budget. On the plus side, since I won't be going to school at all I'll be able to work a ton, and even being paid minimum wage that can add up.

I hate cars, so the area would need to be walkable. Specifically, nearby I would like there to be recreation centers/YMCAs, stores for clothes and stuff like Target/Walmart, health food stores like Whole Foods/MOMs, libraries, various places for entertainment (I'll still be under 21 mind you), and access to public transportation that could take me to DC, Philly, NYC etc. And again, no car! If I can access those places via bus that's fine, but if one of those things isn't really reachable at all without a car, I won't really consider a neighborhood unless it's got something awesome going for it.

While being myself a white, middle-class girl, I find the more diverse population of the working class to be far more fascinating, and since we'd probably be in that budget ourselves, it should go without saying that we'd be fine with a working class neighborhood. Working class neighborhood doesn't equal disgusting crime-filled neighborhood. We don't want to live somewhere super dangerous, but I find the safest places often have the least character and the highest rental rates. So as stated previously we're fine with a place as long as we're not in immediate danger going outside. Plus we both do martial arts. My friend is a third degree black belt in Taekwon-Do. I totally grok the Latino/Hispanic community, so being nearby populations of Hispanics would be awesome. I've read Highlandtown has a large Hispanic population? True/false? But that point is the least important.

So yeah, tell me recommendations! Obviously we won't make the decision until I'm actually over there, but I'd love to have some places in mind already! And yes, this move is actually going to happen. I'm not some kid with a dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 05:44 AM

34,136 posts, read 83,145,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentJ24.7 View Post
I am planning to move to Baltimore from Las Vegas, and I'm
not sure exactly when but sometime in the next 1-2 years.
I've been researching Baltimore neighborhoods to decide where I'd want to live...
Research Baltimore employers to find a job first.

After you have something lined up... THEN think about places to live.
One that will work out as the best compromise to accommodate most of that wish list.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:13 PM

102 posts, read 179,032 times
That's a long wish list. But Mount Vernon and Station North seem to fit more in my opinion.

Good idea to stay at a friend's first. Explore.

On a budget, consider Highlandtown and Brewers Hill

Old 12-18-2014, 02:47 AM

103 posts, read 326,935 times
I know you're very young, but there's an awful lot of privilege in this post. First, you want middle-/upper-middle class amenities, but you're on a budget and you find working class areas "fascinating" (do you get that stores like Whole Paycheck aren't going to locate in a neighborhood that isn't rich?). You have to pick-- either the budget and the people, or the hip amenities. And you call some neighborhoods "disgusting crime-filled neighborhoods"-- I'm sure the people who live there would love being told their struggling neighborhood is "disgusting".

Honestly, you sound like you'd be most comfortable in a more white, upper-middle-class neighborhood, so find some roommates and see if you can find a place in Federal Hill, Canton, Fells, or out in the county in Towson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: