Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 12:56 PM

850 posts, read 1,132,587 times

Advertisements

Have a tenant in Baltimore who is habitually late on the rent. Finally sent her a notice saying I won't renew the lease (lease ends April). LOL.....

I'm going to have to find another Baltimorean to take her place. We will see how long the next one will last?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 01:06 PM

34,091 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post
Have a tenant in Baltimore who is habitually late on the rent.
But they still come up with the money? Every month?
How long have they been in place?
How do they take care of the property otherwise?

Have you asked WHY they are "habitually late"??
Very often this situation is based in how their money comes to them
from things like pay period cycles or other payment obligations.

An adjustment in the due date can do wonders... and/or enforcing late payment fees.
I wouldn't be in a hurry to get rid of a paying tenant.
Find another solution.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:11 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,106,895 times
As usual, I have to agree with Mr. Rational. You could easily do a lot, lot worse. I would try to work with the tenant and keep them there if that is the only problem.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
But they still come up with the money? Every month?
How long have they been in place?
How do they take care of the property otherwise?

Have you asked WHY they are "habitually late"??
Very often this situation is based in how their money comes to them
from things like pay period cycles or other payment obligations.

An adjustment in the due date can do wonders... and/or enforcing late payment fees.
I wouldn't be in a hurry to get rid of a paying tenant.
Find another solution.
I always do bc and credit check on all my tenants. Her income/credit was good. She was there a year and a half. After I renewed her lease the first time, I told her that I would no longer accept partial payments. She was queen of partial payments. She would send me a notice indicating she couldn't pay the full amount. Then she would mail me half and give me the other half sometime towards the end of the month.

I tried to work with her. I told her that I would mod the lease to allow her to pay this way. I told her that I would allow her to pay half on the 1st and half on the 19th, but she had to pay 75 more for this option. I also put in extra $25.00 late fees for each partial month payments. But I would set the end date of the lease for April 30th. I told her if things look good I would renew the lease.

She was still late in the partial payments. Which is what what's f---ing sad. But that's Baltimore!!!!!

I gave her plenty of chances. I even renewed her lease. I even modified her lease to do partial payment. Who in the **** does partial payments?

Old 03-22-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
She was queen of partial payments.
Again... did you learn WHY she was habitually late?

Old 03-22-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Again... did you learn WHY she was habitually late?
Why should I learn. It's not my job to manage their finances. These are supposed to be adults!!!!

Who gives a ****. For all I know it's Baltimore. She was probably spending it on Meth, Crack and Crabs.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Why should I learn.
Because she is your tenant. Like it or not...

Quote:
It's not my job to manage their finances.
And those who can do that well will tend to NOT be renters long.

Cutting to the chase:

What sort of problems will the next low life you seem to attract cause you?
How long will the unit be empty and/or cost you to make ready until they do move in?

Old 03-22-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Because she is your tenant. Like it or not...

And those who can do that well will tend to NOT be renters long.

Cutting to the chase:

What sort of problems will the next low life you seem to attract cause you?
How long will the unit be empty and/or cost you to make ready until they do move in?
She's not my tenant after April (like it or not).

Yes, I understand. I should get a low tenant who doesn't pay on time because slow pay always = no pay. Yes, I've had tenants who pay on time. Honestly I would rather have 5 tenants in 5 years who pay on time v.s. 1 tenant for 5 years who I have to hound for the rent.

The unit can be empty for years. I make plenty of money. I can pay both mortgages!!! I have exp renting. I will flip the unit take from her SD and life goes on..

Old 03-22-2015, 05:13 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
She's not my tenant after April (like it or not).

Yes, I understand. I should get a low tenant who doesn't pay on time because slow pay always = no pay. Yes, I've had tenants who pay on time. Honestly I would rather have 5 tenants in 5 years who pay on time v.s. 1 tenant for 5 years who I have to hound for the rent.

The unit can be empty for years. I make plenty of money. I can pay both mortgages!!! I have exp renting. I will flip the unit take from her SD and life goes on..
If you dislike being a landlord in Baltimore so much why are you a landlord in Baltimore?

Also, if you already know you can rent it easily or sell it quickly why are you complaining?
You rented to her, you chose to extend extra courtesies to her, she chose to take advantage of it.
You appeared to be part of her being able to continue to pay late.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:32 PM

934 posts, read 1,063,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If you dislike being a landlord in Baltimore so much why are you a landlord in Baltimore?

Also, if you already know you can rent it easily or sell it quickly why are you complaining?
You rented to her, you chose to extend extra courtesies to her, she chose to take advantage of it.
You appeared to be part of her being able to continue to pay late.
He's just using it as an excuse to complain about Baltimore and generalize about anyone that lives there. Your regular moaning and groaning.

Oh hey steppinthrax, I live in Baltimore and I rent my house and I pay the full amount on time every single month. Whaddya know about that. Sorry if that shatters your worldview that everyone that lives here is a low life.

Guess I should be glad you aren't my landlord though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore