Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 01:13 PM

675 posts, read 724,127 times

Advertisements

I love watching Investigation Discovery (ID) on TV. They often talk about murders that happen in small towns and how their is a murderer is loose and every one should lock the doors and be leery of strangers. Look how much media attention the two escaped convicts got. But Baltimore is a whole different story. The actual arrest and conviction rate by the State's Attorneys Office is only about 30%. What !!! That's it. If my math is correct than means that over a period of 5 years there are at least 1000 murderers on the streets of Baltimore (That's assuming they have not left town and the same person or the police isn't killing them). Here is another fact. There have been more people killed in the streets of Baltimore then there were solders killed in the Afghanistan War. Each of us have a one in twenty chance of being a victim of violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 11:37 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,933,405 times
It's Baltimore gentlemen. The gods will not save you.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:12 AM

390 posts, read 506,549 times
Yet so much protesting about how the Prison System is so biased and incarcerating so many of these upstanding Citizens of Bmore. And this is also considering how fast many are let out in what Cops complain as the "revolving door" system.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:19 AM

850 posts, read 1,132,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debold4215 View Post
I love watching Investigation Discovery (ID) on TV. They often talk about murders that happen in small towns and how their is a murderer is loose and every one should lock the doors and be leery of strangers. Look how much media attention the two escaped convicts got. But Baltimore is a whole different story. The actual arrest and conviction rate by the State's Attorneys Office is only about 30%. What !!! That's it. If my math is correct than means that over a period of 5 years there are at least 1000 murderers on the streets of Baltimore (That's assuming they have not left town and the same person or the police isn't killing them). Here is another fact. There have been more people killed in the streets of Baltimore then there were solders killed in the Afghanistan War. Each of us have a one in twenty chance of being a victim of violence.
Read my post regarding "backed up courts"

http://www.city-data.com/forum/balti...baltimore.html

My opinion is the "system" doesn't want to make improvements. In addition this is one of the many reasons why I moved, just imagine something happening to a loved one and they never catch the person. The police move on to the next best thing!

Old 07-03-2015, 11:51 PM

757 posts, read 2,554,781 times
Quote:
If my math is correct than means that over a period of 5 years there are at least 1000 murderers on the streets of Baltimore (That's assuming they have not left town and the same person or the police isn't killing them). Here is another fact. There have been more people killed in the streets of Baltimore then there were solders killed in the Afghanistan War. Each of us have a one in twenty chance of being a victim of violence.
I think your math is a little fuzzy. Are you assuming that murderers kill only one person? More likely it's a relatively small number of criminals who are responsible for much of the violent crime.

Also, each of us don't have a one in 20 chance of being a victim of violence. It's a little more complicated than that. If you're involved in the drug trade or other illegal activity, you are much more likely to be a victim of violence. If you're law-abiding, the odds will be a lot lower.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:51 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy_d View Post
I think your math is a little fuzzy. Are you assuming that murderers kill only one person? More likely it's a relatively small number of criminals who are responsible for much of the violent crime.

Also, each of us don't have a one in 20 chance of being a victim of violence. It's a little more complicated than that. If you're involved in the drug trade or other illegal activity, you are much more likely to be a victim of violence. If you're law-abiding, the odds will be a lot lower.
This is absolutely correct, but the odds shift depending on where you live and your upbringing. People often forget the poorer you are, the more likely you will be a victim, or perpetrator of violent crime.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:33 AM

318 posts, read 762,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post
Read my post regarding "backed up courts"

http://www.city-data.com/forum/balti...baltimore.html

My opinion is the "system" doesn't want to make improvements. In addition this is one of the many reasons why I moved, just imagine something happening to a loved one and they never catch the person. The police move on to the next best thing!

To make improvements, the court will need more money.

To get more money, they have to receive more funding.

To receive more funding, the city will have to acknoledge that it has a crime problem and their court system is not adequate enough.

That will cause all sorts of uproar from the community that they have to give more of their "tax dollars" to the criminal justice system.

Because of politics, it never will happen. Look at the chaos caused when the new juvenile jail was built in response to the federal mandate.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
This is absolutely correct, but the odds shift depending on where you live and your upbringing. People often forget the poorer you are, the more likely you will be a victim, or perpetrator of violent crime.
It's just not just the violent crime that concerns me. My brother and I live in an integrated community. We have had our cars broken into several times, the hood of our cars jumped on leaving serious dents. My brother was robbed twice at gun point on our front porch and his best friend was shot, but survived. People throw their trash every where without any thought what so ever. I worked in forensics for thirteen years in Baltimore City. A third of the individuals I treated had no capacity for impulse control and research is showing that a large percentage of the males born of teenage mothers end up incarcerated. Despite the fact that the majority on people from Baltimore a good, law abiding residents, Baltimore is breading criminals.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:44 AM

390 posts, read 506,549 times
Quote:
People throw their trash every where without any thought what so ever.
So I'm watching The Wire.....and in one of the episodes where "The Summer Boys" or whatever, were chillin' on the sidewalk and eating some Chinese food take-outs in styrofoam containers. After they finished, one just flung the empty styrofoam like a frisbee into the street.

I found this very disturbing behavior. And they call the cops, pigs? Such minor crime as littering, leads to this....takeout frisbee, all day. Yet they cry about how cops are over aggressive with citing people for littering and then next week, cry about how the city is so dirty, like a ghetto.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy_d View Post

I agree that my statistics are a little fuzzy; it was just an estimate. I also agree with the second statement but I have seen a dramatic increase in violence where I live in southwest Baltimore. We must have a lot more drug dealers in my neighbor than I previously thought. I know the kids around here smoke pot but that doesn't concern me in the least. I do know that more people here are being robbed at gun point. That does concern me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore