Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 01:43 PM

24 posts, read 31,323 times

Advertisements

Hello! I love these forums, and now I have a question that merits a post!

Background : I am in my 40s - white, male, originally from MA, digital marketing/tech worker, mostly for nonprofits (unfortunately for my bank account).

My wife -- significantly older, dark skinned black African (Liberia), on disability and thus not working.

Son -- 16 y.o., academically inclined, into statistics and this this website specifically. He's the first of us to be looking at neighborhood crime and safety statistics. He's been in public schools, private schools, Montessori schools, and home schooled. Right now in small private school where we are. He's introverted and home-oriented, and not one who's behavior at this stage is going to be too influenced by gangs/drugs/"the wrong crowd" etc. At the same time, he needs to live in an area that is at once more black and more politically/globally aware.

All of us - we used to live in PG county, Alexandria, DC, Montg county. We needed a break from all politics all the time, and the cost of living in DC, esp. on my association or nonprofit salary, and we wanted to live closer to the water. So we moved to RI - close to the water (beautiful beaches), able to get to Boston or Hartford work for me, and much too white for my family's comfort level -- and very hard to make friends in RI if you didn't go to high school with these people. And provincial.

So, we are looking for a new place to live that is a bit more like DC than where we are now, without the DC cost of living.

I am open to suggestions of where this might be that I haven't thought about. But otherwise, we are looking at Baltimore. (Atlanta is thought of as too hot, apparently, for the others.)

So, where would some of the best neighborhoods be, in the greater Balt. area for us? Depending on where I find work (could be DC, Balt, or suburbs, but hopefully not too deep into VA), I'd love to be close to somewhere along public tranport. areas. I don't mind 2 hour commutes so much if someone else is doing the driving (busses, trains, etc) or if I can drive without stopping (no huge traffic).

The neighborhood should be good value rentals for a family living on $60-$75K/year or so. The school may matter for his junior year of HS coming up, unless we get financial aid into a private (and then its location still matters, as we try to live with one car). My wife wants just a bit of land so she can plant a garden, etc., quiet neighborhood so she can sleep at night without listening to outside, and place where it feels safe to walk around the street for some exercise.

In short, we are of course looking for your basic utopia that doesn't exist -- with friendly neighbors to an intercultural, multiracial and ethnic family like ours. Bonus for area Wegmans, whole foods, nice library, wifi, and 5 guys/popeyes (we go upscale and then back down, but always with good taste).

We are very familiar with the DC area, but not so much with Balt., as I know that in the city proper, it can vary widely, sometimes to the indiv streets. I don't think that has changed much in the 2 years since we left.

It does sound like we are asking for rural outskirts, but no. I am the extroverted one in the family, and I need good transport options to work, and I need local friends (as do they.) (I also need to visit the Dox before it closes for good.) Any leads or suggestions?

Ideally, we could build a small house along the first base line of Camden yards. Plenty of good soil for her garden, and its beautiful grass that is already being mowed. Not to mention, I don't have to go very far for a good sausage. But do rents exist anymore that are around or below $1k/month? This used to be the case, when I looked years ago. Is it still? Also looking for a good first time home buyers program.

Quick searches reveal suggestions of Townsend, Arcadia, Rosedale, Canton, and Mount Vernon. I think that generally, as we are a people of ideas, we like to be around Univs/Colleges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 05:24 AM

222 posts, read 270,765 times
As a recent first time home buyer, there was a small kickback from the titling company and bank but not much. At $1,000 or less, that price point puts you in not so nice areas in baltimore city. Unfortunately Baltimore City is a tough one as the rental market is doing well (high rent prices with high occupancy rates). I feel maybe ridgely's delight might be closer to your price range but still tough. Baltimore rent prices unfortunately are still some of the highest in the country.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:13 AM

233 posts, read 317,973 times
Your 1K a month budget for a rental is too low for what your looking for, unfortunately. Maybe check into Parkville, Carney, Towson, or the Hamilton/Lauraville areas. Maybe even Mt. Washington - although not for 1K a month.

I would love to hear what you dig up! Good luck

Old 11-09-2015, 06:59 AM

Parkville/Carney would be iffy if good transportation is a must. Towson rental prices are on the high side due to college students now willing to pay the high prices. I have a close friend that is able to rent single rooms out in his rowhouse off Burke Ave for $500-600 for a single room/shared bathroom to give you a idea of how high rental prices have gone up in Towson.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:06 AM

189 posts, read 153,239 times
Millersville, Severna park, Severn, Pasadena..

Anne Arundel county is till one the better and cheaper areas to live in , once your past the Brooklyn/ Glen burnie area.

The 45 min commute north from Baltimore city- you could look into PA, up 83 north.
Shrewsbury, Stewartstown,
Maryland line - New freedom-MD

The crime rate is incredibly low , taxes in PA hell of a lot cheaper then MD

Old 11-09-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackParow View Post
Millersville, Severna park, Severn, Pasadena..

Anne Arundel county is till one the better and cheaper areas to live in , once your past the Brooklyn/ Glen burnie area.

The 45 min commute north from Baltimore city- you could look into PA, up 83 north.
Shrewsbury, Stewartstown,
Maryland line - New freedom-MD

The crime rate is incredibly low , taxes in PA hell of a lot cheaper then MD
All of those places will be a real stretch at a $60-75k salary. The amount of rentals is very limited in northern baltimore county. Pasadena/Millersville is a possibility but Severna Park I will say will make you extremely house poor if you can cover the rent at $60-75k salary.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:09 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,734 times
That kind of income will allow to buy a home in the low $200's in the city and over $250K in the counties. Rent on the same houses will be higher and the rental houses probably won't be in as good a condition. PA and outer suburbs have lower taxes but you will end up paying more for transportation costs. And gas may not stay cheap.

I work for a nonprofit but I earn less than you will. I'm happy with the house I paid $55K for and is worth about $125K at this point. The mortgage payment is a little more than 1/8 of my income and I only have to drive 3,000 miles a year.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:51 AM

The downpayment amount seems to be the biggest challenge for most folks. Most people seem to be able to afford the mortgage payment but can't manage to save up enough for a down payment.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:16 PM

146 posts, read 174,033 times
I think the 1K price point will be a challenge. In Timonium, near York and Padonia, there is a massive apartment complex. They might have something in your price range. It is safe, decent schools. But figure on doing more driving than walking.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:16 PM

451 posts, read 1,227,926 times
I would strongly recommend looking in Baltimore's Lake Walker neighborhood. It's near universities, affordable, diverse, friendly, lots to walk to nearby, and an all around great place to live. There is a blog about a family that moved from DC to the neighborhood. You can check it out here B'more Bungalow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore