Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 02:36 PM

912 posts, read 915,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by designer_genes View Post
I like cheesesteaks, but they are incredibly overrated.

Being from the NYC metro area and being someone who is fluent in Italian and has traveled to Italy, I find the Italian cuisine in both Baltimore and Philly to be subpar. Italian food is by far my favorite, so I guess my bar is really high. It's the one thing about the food scene in Baltimore that I don't like, basically. Which is unfortunate. But, I get my fix when I visit my parents in New Jersey and when I travel to NYC.

I guess Philly does do Italian a bit better than Baltimore does, but I don't find the difference to be that substantial.
So you're not Italian, but are a big fan?

My ex of 8 years was Italian, born in Italy. His mother immigrated here and spoke all of ten English words, so I can safely say that I got authentic Italian food (complete with only homemade noodles) and I still don't like Italian food, for the most part. So I'm not a good gauge on that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 09:52 PM

934 posts, read 1,063,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
So you're not Italian, but are a big fan?

My ex of 8 years was Italian, born in Italy. His mother immigrated here and spoke all of ten English words, so I can safely say that I got authentic Italian food (complete with only homemade noodles) and I still don't like Italian food, for the most part. So I'm not a good gauge on that one.
Correct. The town where I grew up was at least 75% comprised of Italian-Americans and so Italian is offered as a language from a very young age and I took it along with all of the other kids because it was the "cool" thing to do. And then I fell in love withe language, the culture, and the food and just never stopped studying it, lol.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Correct. The town where I grew up was at least 75% comprised of Italian-Americans and so Italian is offered as a language from a very young age and I took it along with all of the other kids because it was the "cool" thing to do. And then I fell in love withe language, the culture, and the food and just never stopped studying it, lol.
That sounds like more Italian food than I could tolerate. lol What is your favorite dish? I keep trying to like Italian food, but so far have found nothing I like (aside from one restaurant in San Diego that specializes in cuisine from Northern Italy).

I wish I liked it, since it seems to be everywhere, but I'm just not feeling it. I think the reason is it's often heavy on pasta and meats, and I don't care for either. The Northern Italian dishes are vegetable and seafood based and make more use of polenta and risotto over pasta so I liked those better (probably because, aside from their use of butter versus olive oil, they are closer to Greek food than what most think of as traditional Italian food), but Northern Italian food isn't as easy to find.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:09 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,426,825 times
For someone who loves Italian cuisine, both Northern and Southern Italian, I can attest that Baltimore's Italian restaurants are nowhere as good as the places in Jersey and Philly (not talking Maggiano's either). New York is in a league by themselves in this regard.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:10 AM

What town? Don't say Jersey City, Hoboken or West New York...cause I will laugh at you!

Quote:

Old 01-12-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
For someone who loves Italian cuisine, both Northern and Southern Italian, I can attest that Baltimore's Italian restaurants are nowhere as good as the places in Jersey and Philly (not talking Maggiano's either). New York is in a league by themselves in this regard.
New York is in a league of their own when it comes to most food.

I agree that Philly does Italian better than Baltimore, but they have a lot more Italians (almost four times more) so they better or it would be shameful.

I would love for you Italian food lovers to give me names of restaurants and dishes to try that could change my mind on Italian food.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:24 AM

New Jersey has some good Italian restaurants as well! I guess when you're mentioning NY (the tri-state), you're encompassing NJ as well? Of course, Philly's population is much larger than Baltimore, so there you have it.

Look, Baltimore has some great restaurants and eateries for a city its size. In my opinion, there's not a plethora of them in conjunction with much larger cities, but it does ok for itself. I'd like to see more of an international (diaspora) flavor and a few African American fine-dining establishments added to the city's restaurant décor. I shouldn't have to travel to NY and DC to excellent foods and dining experiences!!!!

Quote:
New York is in a league of their own when it comes to most food.

I agree that Philly does Italian better than Baltimore, but they have a lot more Italians (almost four times more) so they better or it would be shameful.

I would love for you Italian food lovers to give me names of restaurants and dishes to try that could change my mind on Italian food.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
New Jersey has some good Italian restaurants as well! I guess when you're mentioning NY (the tri-state), you're encompassing NJ as well? Of course, Philly's population is much larger than Baltimore, so there you have it.

Look, Baltimore has some great restaurants and eateries for a city its size. In my opinion, there's not a plethora of them in conjunction with much larger cities, but it does ok for itself. I'd like to see more of an international (diaspora) flavor and a few African American fine-dining establishments added to the city's restaurant décor. I shouldn't have to travel to NY and DC to excellent foods and dining experiences!!!!
You don't have to. That's why we're #2 in the entire country, or did you miss the first post of the thread (which says a lot for our tiny size). Yay us! I'd argue that for our size we're #1 and that only larger cities rank higher, IMO (but they should since they are bigger or they should just go home).

So no recommendations on restaurants or dishes? Just as well.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:57 PM

934 posts, read 1,063,209 times
Quote:
That sounds like more Italian food than I could tolerate. lol What is your favorite dish? I keep trying to like Italian food, but so far have found nothing I like (aside from one restaurant in San Diego that specializes in cuisine from Northern Italy).

I wish I liked it, since it seems to be everywhere, but I'm just not feeling it. I think the reason is it's often heavy on pasta and meats, and I don't care for either. The Northern Italian dishes are vegetable and seafood based and make more use of polenta and risotto over pasta so I liked those better (probably because, aside from their use of butter versus olive oil, they are closer to Greek food than what most think of as traditional Italian food), but Northern Italian food isn't as easy to find.
Oh man, if only I could pick one favorite, lol. I love carbonara. I also love anything with a pink sauce, preferably ravioli filled with some sort of delicious seafood. I also love pizza. Pizza napoletana. Real pizza. Verde is the only restaurant in Baltimore that even gets close in that department.

Quote:
What town? Don't say Jersey City, Hoboken or West New York...cause I will laugh at you!
Haha, no, none of those towns.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Oh man, if only I could pick one favorite, lol. I love carbonara. I also love anything with a pink sauce, preferably ravioli filled with some sort of delicious seafood. I also love pizza. Pizza napoletana. Real pizza. Verde is the only restaurant in Baltimore that even gets close in that department.

Haha, no, none of those towns.
I don't think I've been to Verde. I'll give it a try. Thank you. I love trying new things, especially when they come with a good recommendation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore