Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2008, 04:06 AM

2 posts, read 11,013 times

Advertisements

I'm a Hopkins med student that's going to be staying around for awhile...I'm looking to purchase a single-family home in the 250-300K range...at this point I'm kind of leaning for the Baltimore suburbs. My biggest concern is safety. I know that there's no place that's 100% safe, but a murder is a murder, and regardless of the reason (drugs, sex, family, whatever), I don't want to be close to it! Does anyone have any suggestions as to which neighborhoods quite stable in this regard? I've been looking on the police website for data (is there anyway to get crime data for more than 2 weeks at a time????), but I thought it would be helpful to get a few anecdotes/personal experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 05:55 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,603,482 times
There is another thread where I posted the 2007 homicide statistics. That will give you some idea. Don't assume that suburbs=safety and city=crime. There are rough sections in both so be careful with your decision and visit the neighborhoods both during the day and at night. I live in Patterson Park and have never had an issue with crime but homes around here in good blocks are going for pretty high prices. Hampden may be a good bet for you. It is near the main campus of Hopkins and offers shuttle buses over to the med center. There is also a metro stop at the med center. And yes, if you go to the crime-reporting site, you can key in the duration up on top.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:07 PM

689 posts, read 3,217,228 times
I live in Barre Circle, part of the Pigtown neighborhood, and houses go for around $150-500, depending on where you live in Pigtown. I think we had one murder in 2007 -- the crime around here is mostly property crime. Oh -- and most of my neighbors are connected in some way to U of MD Medical or Johns Hopkins. We have a lot of med students and professors.

Last edited by carolott; 02-10-2008 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-10-2008, 11:34 PM

4 posts, read 11,845 times
Default Some suggestions

Hi,

If you are interested in a single family home in a safe neighborhood, I have a few suggestions for you, both in Baltimore City and Baltimore County.

Baltimore City:
Roland Park - gourmet grocery, library, awesome places to eat, coffee spots
Hampden - walking distance to shops, bars, restaurants, greenery, HonFest
Mt. Washington - Whole Foods, galleries, Crepes!

Baltimore County:
Anneslie - great family neighborhood, lifelong residents, minutes from
Downtown, wonderful schools, nearby hospitals, college town
Stoneleigh - same as Anneslie, pricier, community pool
West Towson - larger yards, carriage houses for rent, lack of public transportation

Hope that helps!

Old 02-11-2008, 06:16 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,449,766 times
He wants a single family house. He can't touch a single family house for $250-300 in those neighborhoods, except Hampden, and I'm not sure if he considers a small rowhouse a single family house.

There are single family homes for $250k. Try northeast Baltimore, such as Lauraville and Hamilton. Catonsville has a few small ranchers in that price range.

For something more fashionable, there are tiny rowhouses in Canton on alley streets, completely rehabbed, in your price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenspot View Post
Hi,

If you are interested in a single family home in a safe neighborhood, I have a few suggestions for you, both in Baltimore City and Baltimore County.

Baltimore City:
Roland Park - gourmet grocery, library, awesome places to eat, coffee spots
Hampden - walking distance to shops, bars, restaurants, greenery, HonFest
Mt. Washington - Whole Foods, galleries, Crepes!

Baltimore County:
Anneslie - great family neighborhood, lifelong residents, minutes from
Downtown, wonderful schools, nearby hospitals, college town
Stoneleigh - same as Anneslie, pricier, community pool
West Towson - larger yards, carriage houses for rent, lack of public transportation

Hope that helps!

Old 02-11-2008, 07:31 AM

Oops! Missed that 250-300k range!

Old 02-11-2008, 11:34 PM

Lauraville, original Northwood, Beverly Hills - all in the city.
Catonsville is county but some areas are in the historic district and eligible for the Historic Tax Credit.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:23 PM

12 posts, read 56,145 times
I have lived in Roland Park, Lauraville, and Federal Hill. I recommend all three.

If you do decide to buy, I am in the real estate industry so I often know of good deals. I'd be happy to give you any input I can.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:36 PM

43 posts, read 174,287 times
I agree- I think Lauraville/Hamilton would be your best bet- it's between the heart of the city and the East side over by Hopkins Hospital. The drive between the two is a little unsavory in parts, but the neighborhood is a gem. Old homes and trees, lots of young hip families, a really nice community. Roland Park is so nice, but def. out of your price range. Hampden homes are too small- except for a small little pocket between 37th & 40th on Keswick near Wyman. Those houses are a little bigger, lots of families, close to Wyman park/Hopkins and walking distance to the main St. in Hampden. There are a few houses for sale on Keswick in that 3 block range now. It's a good time to buy- prices are falling. (zip code is 21211, but the school district is Roland Park)

Old 02-19-2008, 08:31 PM

33 posts, read 170,204 times
I'd also like to recommend Lauraville. My husband and I just moved here a few months ago and we LOVE it. You can def. find a nice house within your price range. You can see several if you search a real estate website for Lauraville, zip 21214. We live on a quite block of nice single family houses and we have WONDERFUL neighbors. Its def worth a look! Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore