Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 12:43 PM

315 posts, read 1,300,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetchie View Post
You can still get a pretty decent price on real estate in Pigtown, but you'll have to deal with a lot of urban BS......... roberies, rapes and muggings among it. I lived in Pigtown for years and enjoyed some of my time there, but I would never move back.
What price is worth robberies, rapes and muggings? I guess it depends on what you are used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 04:32 PM

689 posts, read 3,216,641 times
I don't recall any robberies in the past year - burglaries, yes, but no robberies. No muggings, either.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolott View Post
I don't recall any robberies in the past year - burglaries, yes, but no robberies. No muggings, either.
A look at the Baltimore City crime mapping site shows another story. From Feb 14-28, Washington Village had 4 burglaries, 4 aggravated assaults (with knife and gun), 1 robbery, and 1 murder. That's just in approx 2 weeks. Guess you're not familiar with THAT part of town.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:54 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,600,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawlmer View Post
A look at the Baltimore City crime mapping site shows another story. From Feb 14-28, Washington Village had 4 burglaries, 4 aggravated assaults (with knife and gun), 1 robbery, and 1 murder. That's just in approx 2 weeks. Guess you're not familiar with THAT part of town.
Well, actually those statistics don't look to bad when comparing them to other areas or nighborhoods. For example, let's compare those to the Capitol Hill area of DC which as many of you know is a posh neighborhood with a lot of gentrification occuring. From the DC Police Department map, I found that from 2/10 t0 3/11 this year they reported for that area:
1. 3 homicides
2. 2 sex abuse cases
3. 26 robberies
4. 15 robberies with guns
5. 35 assaults without a deadly weapon
6. 4 assaults with guns
7. 28 burglaries
8. 125 thefts
9. 52 stolen cars
10 89 stolen items from cars
Most cities including DC now have crime maps for up-to-date statistical information. They are a good source to help compare. So, in light of Capitol Hills information, Pigtown is doing okay.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
First of all, I never said crime didn't happen -- I didn't recall these crimes. Please no personal attacks. Read the TOS

Secondly, some of the data in the city police crime map is wrong. A couple of the streets listed aren't in our neighborhood, and I have no idea why they show up on the map.

Last edited by 7th generation; 03-13-2008 at 09:49 AM..

Old 03-12-2008, 04:39 PM

258 posts, read 1,011,557 times
Quote:
First of all, I never said crime didn't happen -- I didn't recall these crimes. I wish you'd read before making snide comments, really.

Secondly, some of the data in the city police crime map is wrong. A couple of the streets listed aren't in our neighborhood, and I have no idea why they show up on the map.
Carol, please, let the man speak. He has the answers.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Well, actually those statistics don't look to bad when comparing them to other areas or nighborhoods. For example, let's compare those to the Capitol Hill area of DC which as many of you know is a posh neighborhood with a lot of gentrification occuring. From the DC Police Department map, I found that from 2/10 t0 3/11 this year they reported for that area:
1. 3 homicides
2. 2 sex abuse cases
3. 26 robberies
4. 15 robberies with guns
5. 35 assaults without a deadly weapon
6. 4 assaults with guns
7. 28 burglaries
8. 125 thefts
9. 52 stolen cars
10 89 stolen items from cars
Most cities including DC now have crime maps for up-to-date statistical information. They are a good source to help compare. So, in light of Capitol Hills information, Pigtown is doing okay.
Interesting facts, but entirely off topic. The original poster was considering Pigtown not Capitol Hill.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:52 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,600,083 times
Quote:
Interesting facts, but entirely off topic. The original poster was considering Pigtown not Capitol Hill.
Not off topic at all. I was simply comparing one urban area to another to give readers a better understanding of the area in question. And I know how some love to use those crime maps so I thought I would make myself available to them for future reference.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:59 PM

234 posts, read 1,063,137 times
Quote:
Carol, Come on!! You know that there were muggings in Pigtown last year. For the record, how many crimes were you personally a victim in the last 12 months? Be honest.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetchie View Post
Carol, Come on!! You know that there were muggings in Pigtown last year. For the record, how many crimes were you personally a victim in the last 12 months? Be honest.
I am always honest when talking about crime. I had a window broken, and my house was burglarized -- in fact, exactly one week after my next-door neighbor's house was burglarized (on my 40th birthday, no less).

I guess my attitude comes from being horribly victimized when I lived in DC in a very short period of time, and having two crimes in 8 years...neither of which involved a gun being held to my face...I can honestly say that I feel much safer here. I now live above the cafe (a move I was planning well before the house was burglarized) so that adds another level of security for me.

And no I didn't know about any muggings. I'm certainly not saying it didn't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore