Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 08:48 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,279,704 times

Advertisements

In fact,their team has become a national powerhouse, although there are allegations that they are selecting kids from throughout the mid-Atlantic.

Calvert Hall responds to St. Frances' allegations of racism in decision to not play Panthers in football - Baltimore Sun

Mount Saint Joseph, Calvert Hall decide not to play St. Frances in football this fall, citing safety factors - Baltimore Sun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 03:12 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,093,851 times
St. Frances imports out of area players, but they aren't the only school to.
It's sad that any religious schools resorts to unethical ways to win.

They should leave the cheating to the Baltimore public schools, whom are the experts.

Old 06-02-2018, 03:43 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,439,010 times
I bet at least some of those Baltimore public school kids know how to use who and whom correctly...

Old 06-02-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I bet at least some of those Baltimore public school kids know how to use who and whom correctly...

... at least 1% of the 3% who have mastered the alphabet.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:24 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,457,103 times
LMAO!

I don't believe you actually posted up this story??! How provincial of you! You posted just to get your white supremacist rocks off,trying to imply the idea of how savage inner city Blacks are and how white schools need to far away from them. I know your game and see right through your white supremacy and hatred for Black existence.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
LMAO!

I don't believe you actually posted up this story??! How provincial of you! You posted just to get your white supremacist rocks off,trying to imply the idea of how savage inner city Blacks are and how white schools need to far away from them. I know your game and see right through your white supremacy and hatred for Black existence.

Paranoia on full throttle.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:07 AM

7,108 posts, read 11,405,001 times
Beat a team's a$$ enough times, and they will drop you. Private, public, big, small, doesn't matter. Fort Hill has won something like 49 of the last 50 area games they have played. No surprise most area teams refuse to schedule them.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:44 AM

What I found interesting here is that the participants are eating their own. All involved are Catholic schools.

Decades ago many MAA pvt. schools in the area stopped scheduling games with MAA public schools but player safety wasn't the issue. Rather, fans who attended the "away" games were being assaulted.

Now there was a time when none of this turmoil existed, e.g., when I played HS football. Some may remember when Dunbar and Loyola Blakefield were basketball powerhouses with the championship alternating between the two of them for a no. of yrs. Intense rivalry and much interest throughout the area but no hassles, no problems.

Old 06-04-2018, 02:01 PM

7,108 posts, read 11,405,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
What I found interesting here is that the participants are eating their own. All involved are Catholic schools.

Decades ago many MAA pvt. schools in the area stopped scheduling games with MAA public schools but player safety wasn't the issue. Rather, fans who attended the "away" games were being assaulted.

Now there was a time when none of this turmoil existed, e.g., when I played HS football. Some may remember when Dunbar and Loyola Blakefield were basketball powerhouses with the championship alternating between the two of them for a no. of yrs. Intense rivalry and much interest throughout the area but no hassles, no problems.
I don't have enough context to know for sure whether the "player safety" issue is the straight dope or not. I would guess it probably is with all the emphasis on head injuries. It really isn't a good idea for a team of DI level prospects (are they really that good?) to be blowing up high school level athletes. Different than basketball or baseball where you can learn from a blowout loss, IMO.

Catholic schools poach from each other all the time. BW (my Catholic school) lost our best basketball player about 5 years ago to another Catholic school we played. He was easily our best player, and was easily convinced he would do better playing at a Catholic school with more basketball talent around him.

BW just hired Dan Prete from St. James in Hagerstown to be our new head basketball coach. Prete coached NBA level players, like Durant, and lots of other DI and pro-players, so it is a huge upgrade for our school......probably an attempt to start a "program" that churns out college level talent. Fun times ahead!

Old 06-04-2018, 03:18 PM

7,085 posts, read 9,614,172 times
Quote:
Let us be clear. Football is a sport under intense national scrutiny due to safety concerns. Head, spine, and other serious injuries occur at every level of the sport. At Calvert Hall, we take reasonable precautions to minimize the risk of such injuries for all players. No one disagrees that special care must be taken to protect young football players from injury.
If Calvert Hall really cared for their students, then why not drop football altogether? Don't put up a ruse that only one team is a safety concern. The truth is, head and other injuries occur at all levels. Players even get injured in practice from torn acls, to heart failure.

I find the Calvert Hall action disingenuous and half-assed. Football is a violent physical sport that has no place in the Christian belief system. Asking young children to collide with each other at risk to their own health is simply immoral. It has no place on a Christian campus. Completely hypocritical which seems to be the norm for Christian organizations.

And just so you know, I use to watch football. I loved football. I played football. Until I started to see just how useless the sport was for individuals and their health and safety. I no longer wish to support such a violent sport. But I know others feel differently. I get it. It's highly entertaining. When do we cheer most? What makes highlight reels? The hardest hits. Kids are taught this. If not by their coach, through collegiate and pro games.

If an adult chooses to play or watch football, that's fine, but football is no sport for anyone younger than 18. Not with the risks involved.

Flame away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore