Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2019, 06:15 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,276,507 times

Advertisements

When Friendship Airport opened in 1950, slot machines were legal in Anne Arundel County, where the airport is located. Were there slot machines at the airport then, or were they prohibited there because the airport was owned and operated by the City of Baltimore at that time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 09:37 AM

45,551 posts, read 60,795,283 times
I don't know the answer except to say that every hole in the wall place in Southern Maryland (which Anne Arundel was considered then) had a slot machine or three.

Old 11-20-2019, 06:39 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,276,507 times
I was 8 or 9 when slots were prohibited in AA Co. I mostly encountered them at the Fairlanes Southwest bowling alley where my parents were in a league. I particularly remember them having a horserace-style machine where I became familiar with the term "also ran". They always had a couple of the 25-hole "bingo" pinball machines, but I don't remember seeing any of the three-reel "one-armed bandits" there.

Other than that, growing up in Ferndale/Glen Burnie area, while I was aware of the presence of slot machines, I never really paid much attention to them. But I was wondering about if they were at Friendship Airport because due to its proximity, we used to go to the airport a lot just to look at airplanes and other airport operations, and I can't remember specifically if slots were there or not.

It's been interesting, growing up while slots were legal, seeing them prohibited, then re-legalized.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:12 AM

3,774 posts, read 4,120,461 times
Here is a little more of the story about slots in Southern Maryland:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs...100-story.html

Maryland Politics Watch: Maryland's Sordid Slots History About to be Repeated

I doubt that slots were at Friendship airport as they were generally in private clubs in southern Anne Arundel County. Also, pleasure cruises out of Baltimore stopped at slots parlors as one of the highlights of the cruise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore