Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 09:01 PM

51 posts, read 91,836 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I’m considering relocating to Baltimore and am particularly interested in Patterson Place. I've come across mixed reviews about safety in this neighborhood, and I'm eager to get more detailed insights, especially in comparison to other areas like Upper Fells, Butcher's Hill, and Canton.

From what I understand, Patterson Place boasts a dense urban setting with a vibrant community spirit. However, I have concerns regarding crime, notably drug-related and violent incidents. This is particularly pertinent as I will need to walk to Hopkins Medical School during various hours, including late nights.

Could anyone offer insights on how Patterson Place stacks up against Upper Fells, Butcher’s Hill, and Canton in terms of safety? Also, I've heard varying opinions about safe boundaries within Patterson Place. Recommendations range from staying south of Fayette Street to staying south of Baltimore Street. If anyone could clarify which of these—or perhaps another boundary—is more advisable, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance for any advice or personal experiences you can share!

Last edited by radgeek; 04-18-2024 at 09:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2024, 11:01 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,015,992 times
South of Patterson Park is safest. So Canton would be the safest among your options. The problem is, you would need to walk through the not so safe neighborhoods to get to your final destination. I'd have a heart attack if my adult kid was walking those streets in the dark. He lives on a street located immediately south of Eastern Avenue. Of course, I still worry, because I'm his mother. The link below provides crime stats for each neighborhood.

https://www.baltimorepolice.org/crime-stats

Old 04-19-2024, 04:09 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,933,220 times
Patterson Park is a great place during daylight hours but may not be safe at night. You need to drive through the neighborhood at night, during the week and weekend to get a feel for the area.

Old 04-19-2024, 08:21 PM

8,232 posts, read 13,350,173 times
The closer you get to Orleans the more cautious you have to be. The neighborhood is great but as others have said its part of a city grid so you get all types of thru traffic both pedestrian and otherwise which brings people into the neighborhood for good and bad reasons.

If I had to walk to Hopkins from there.. I would stick with Baltimore or Fairmount to Washington or Wolfe in the day and Uber back at night unless you really felt comfortable in those environs. The issue tends to be many would be muggers know people like you would be making that walk to/from Hopkins to Patterson Park or Canton. They may simply be on their way down to Fells and happen to cross paths with you as they go to/from Fells....which is where all the action is at as opposed to laying in wait for you to pass by which may be more suspicious on the streets I mentioned but less so on a busier street like Fayette or Orleans. The other problem unfortunately is you have young kids stealing cars and using them to drive up on people to rob them which makes for quicker get away and less likely to catch as they will just ditch the car.

I would just pay for the Uber at night a few bucks aint worth your life and piece of mind

Last edited by Woodlands; 04-19-2024 at 08:30 PM..

Old 04-20-2024, 09:21 AM

Dear Leonora: thank you so much for your response and for sharing the link to the crime data. Looks like, all areas in this region have more or less similar crime stats in the last 365 days!! Obviously, more northern, violent crime increases.

NJ2MDdude: thank you for sharing your insight. Appreciate it.

Woodlands: very insightful! That is very helpful. I assume that the boundaries of Wolfe and Fairmount are applicable to Patterson Place, not below Baltimore or in the upper fells.

In general, the consensus is using Jay shuttles or Uber during the night. I assume “anything after dark” should be taken as night here. Correct me if I have not interpreted it correctly.

Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM

8,232 posts, read 13,350,173 times
Not necessarily... Upper Fells Point or Butchers Hill are generally fine/similar to Patterson Place... The only areas that I would use caution would be Broadway in Upper Fells Point. in between Hopkins and Fells Point. I say that to say because it is a major street for people going to/from JHU Subway Station to Fells.. and It is a neighborhood commercial street. That means it has corner stores, convenience stores, bodegas etc on it when means there may be a lot of foot traffic at night.. which can be good or bad depending on the area.

On the one hand you want to walk down a street that has people on it at night because there is safety in numbers..which make Broadway appealing. On the other hand if most of the people that are out are ambivalent about each other's collective safety or out to do harm to others.. then it is not the best option. If you take a quiet residential side street. On the one hand you may avoid the hoopla of the neighborhood commerical street like Broadway but then there may be no one around to render aid should something happens and we all will be watching what unfolded on TV via neighbors Ring Camera Footage. Again, not trying to scare or belittle my fair city.. just want you to make informed decisions and weigh your options when it comes to safety carefully.

Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM

2,003 posts, read 863,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radgeek View Post
Hello everyone,

I’m considering relocating to Baltimore and am particularly interested in Patterson Place. I've come across mixed reviews about safety in this neighborhood, and I'm eager to get more detailed insights, especially in comparison to other areas like Upper Fells, Butcher's Hill, and Canton.

From what I understand, Patterson Place boasts a dense urban setting with a vibrant community spirit. However, I have concerns regarding crime, notably drug-related and violent incidents. This is particularly pertinent as I will need to walk to Hopkins Medical School during various hours, including late nights.

Could anyone offer insights on how Patterson Place stacks up against Upper Fells, Butcher’s Hill, and Canton in terms of safety? Also, I've heard varying opinions about safe boundaries within Patterson Place. Recommendations range from staying south of Fayette Street to staying south of Baltimore Street. If anyone could clarify which of these—or perhaps another boundary—is more advisable, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance for any advice or personal experiences you can share!
It's Baltimore, the police aren't safe. No one is safe regardless of where you live

Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,101,710 times
In this part of East Baltimore, the general rule is that the closer to the water you are, the safer the area. The further north one goes from the waterfront, the less safe the area becomes. Walking north from the waterfronts in Fells Point and Canton, each block becomes slightly less safe. The neighborhoods north, west, and east of Johns Hopkins Hospital are generally unsafe.

I would not walk to or from any of the neighborhoods that you mentioned from Johns Hopkins Medical School after dark. I would not walk in any direction (north, south, east or west) from Johns Hopkins Medical School after dark. If it is after dark, take a cab.

There is some housing for students and workers on the JHH campus, or very close to it. The high rise building at Wolfe and Ashland has apartments, and just south of the campus, the Tala at Washington Hill also has apartments.

Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM

@Woodlands: that is very helpful. I’d stay away from Broadway as much as possible. Assuming walking before dark is not an issue anywhere.

Greenvalleyfan: that is sad. Hope things might change in the future.

James777: using a cab after dark sounds like the best option. Apartments near the Hopkins are very expensive. Three students sharing a townhome would pay one-third of Tala’s rent.

Old Today, 02:16 PM

2,003 posts, read 863,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radgeek View Post
@Woodlands: that is very helpful. I’d stay away from Broadway as much as possible. Assuming walking before dark is not an issue anywhere.

Greenvalleyfan: that is sad. Hope things might change in the future.

James777: using a cab after dark sounds like the best option. Apartments near the Hopkins are very expensive. Three students sharing a townhome would pay one-third of Tala’s rent.
Yes, it's very sad. It's a very dangerous place. Don't let anyone tell you anything different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: