Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 09:05 PM

26 posts, read 72,653 times

Advertisements

I have two kids - one entering 8th grade and one starting kindergarten in a year. We currently live in Fairfax county in Northern Virginia in a townhouse - totally, completely suburban and we basically hate it.

Previously we have lived in the city of Philadelphia (chestnut Hill) and in the city of Chicago upper Lake Shore North and in the northwest corner... We like TRUE neighborhoods with Character, but once we had kids, we did the normal "white flight" thing and headed for the better school in the burbs while coming into the city for some life and work.

We have avoided the city though because of schools, but our blinders are coming off as to what "good schools' really are. It's not about the teachers so much, but about the quality of students. So, finding a good school is important, but it doesn't have to be Centennial HS in Ellicott City. That school has high scores because of the demographics... not that the program is better than anywhere else.

My older son is currently in a full time gifted and talented program (based on IQ test scores) and my younger son is quite bright too, but has Asperger's. If we were to live in the city, like in the area around Ten Hills/Hungtington Ridge (husband would be working in Woodlawn at the mecca of Social Security), what are our options for schools? And how safe is the neighborhood? What about 'life' in that area? How bad is the traffic heading NW for a couple miles on the local roads? And lastly, if we are looking to make this an investment and a home we plan to stay in for 15-20 years, is this a 'dying' area or one that is up and coming and will be vital for awhile?

HELP!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 05:45 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,842 times
Mount Washington in North/Northwest Baltimore City might be a good fit for your family. Mount Washington Elementary is a very good school (from what I hear). The neighborhood is stable and is popular with families, and there is a small business area with a few shops and restaurants. The commute to Woodlawn is about 20 minutes. I used to commute from there to Woodlawn. I would take back roads on the way in, and the beltway on the way home.

See the sticky thread at the top of the Baltimore forum for more information on this and other neighborhoods.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:23 AM

Thanks I just did a quick look at some properties and some maps and it looks very interesting. My husband grew up in a capital city in Europe one block off a central square, so suburban life is so not him. Plus, my MIL will be joining us, so finding a home that works for ALL of us is crucial and she is pretty picky! But what to do about my soon to be 8th grader? We aren't made of money, so paying 10 grand a year for private schooling is well... not really an option (I don't think).

Last edited by mams99; 07-14-2009 at 06:34 AM..

Old 07-14-2009, 06:57 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,842 times
While Mount Washington is technically in the city, it definitely has a suburban feel. In my opinion, it does not offer enough amenities to please a true city dweller, but it does have more than a typical suburban subdivision.

I know next to nothing about schools, but Baltimore Polytechnic Institute and Western High School are close by, and I heard they are good places for students in the city.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:04 AM

Thanks! I just looked up the magnet schools. That would be a big adjustment for my oldest though... I love diversity (the neighborhood we live in now probably boasts 30 nationalities) and there isn't a super majority of any ethnicity. I have some worries about being accepted and fitting in any schools where there is a super majority of which he does not belong. Teens years are hard. I just wish there was more diversity within the school districts. 90 plus percent of ANY ethnicity is a lot and one we've tried to avoid be it white or black or latin american or asian.

We are looking at Columbia schools too, but it's a lot more suburban feeling, but at least a lot of the area is pretty diverse population-wise.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:56 AM

99 posts, read 328,991 times
Word to the wise, I would recommend charter schools. Also there are many good private schools, but local Baltimoreans will tell you that the public school system has declined, This is the main reason why families have fled in the past 30 years.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:36 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,290,539 times
I would like to comment, respectfully, on what mams and mikey have just said. I attended the Baltimore public schools many years ago, when they were neighborhood based. My school happened to be 100% of one ethnicity. Believe me, it worked just fine for the students. Because of the general decline in the schools (to the point of failure) about the time I was ready for seventh grade, I transferred to a private school. After college, I left Baltimore, as it appeared to me to be hopeless there in terms of education for the next generation (among other reasons). Bottom line -- in my opinion, the schools, parents, and students need to focus more on discipline and learning, and less on issues like diversity and political correctness if the City is ever going to have a working public school system again. My dad, for example, went to Poly, which was so good in his day that any A-course grad was granted automatic admission and second-year status at Johns Hopkins. BTW -- I am a card-carrying Democrat, who proudly voted for President Obama, so please do not misread my comments as race-based. Thanks, and best regards to all!

Old 07-16-2009, 10:10 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,600,083 times
With all due respect to everyone who has written regarding this issue, I would like to add a few ideas. I believe the schools hit to their lowest point a few years back. Since then, I think there has been a rebound and an earnest attempt to improve them. I think there are public elementary schools in the city that I would gladly send my child to. All of them? No. But I definitely think there are some that could compete with elementary schools in the county. Middle schools in the city? I am not familiar with them but I would not want to send a child to one. It's a tough age and every middle school anywhere is a challenge for both students and parents. I imagine the city ones are that much tougher. Public high schools in the city? Yes to Western, City College, Poly. Those three schools are still great options for parents.
With so little investment in the past, the schools have a long road ahead of them but I definitely feel that progress has been made. I also don't blame the teachers in these schools for their failures. Parents need to be envolved in their child's education and upbringing which is 95% of the problem in the schools. Parents who take an active role in their child's upbringing can expect a great result regardless of the school the child attends. Let's stop blaming big brother and look in the mirror once in awhile.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:49 AM

12 posts, read 10,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams99 View Post
I have two kids - one entering 8th grade and one starting kindergarten in a year. We currently live in Fairfax county in Northern Virginia in a townhouse - totally, completely suburban and we basically hate it.

Previously we have lived in the city of Philadelphia (chestnut Hill) and in the city of Chicago upper Lake Shore North and in the northwest corner... We like TRUE neighborhoods with Character, but once we had kids, we did the normal "white flight" thing and headed for the better school in the burbs while coming into the city for some life and work.

We have avoided the city though because of schools, but our blinders are coming off as to what "good schools' really are. It's not about the teachers so much, but about the quality of students. So, finding a good school is important, but it doesn't have to be Centennial HS in Ellicott City. That school has high scores because of the demographics... not that the program is better than anywhere else.

My older son is currently in a full time gifted and talented program (based on IQ test scores) and my younger son is quite bright too, but has Asperger's. If we were to live in the city, like in the area around Ten Hills/Hungtington Ridge (husband would be working in Woodlawn at the mecca of Social Security), what are our options for schools? And how safe is the neighborhood? What about 'life' in that area? How bad is the traffic heading NW for a couple miles on the local roads? And lastly, if we are looking to make this an investment and a home we plan to stay in for 15-20 years, is this a 'dying' area or one that is up and coming and will be vital for awhile?

HELP!!!!
Your 8th grader could probably TEACH in most any Balt. City Public School.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:40 AM

17 posts, read 76,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborview11 View Post
Your 8th grader could probably TEACH in most any Balt. City Public School.
Thanks for perpetuating the myth that the teachers are sub-standard. It's hard enough to do our jobs under the circumstances we face each and every day. To have the public disparage us makes it even harder.

Have a nice day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore