Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2009, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 10,199 times

Advertisements

hi all,

I will be taking night classes at university of baltimore which happens to be right across from the baltimore penn station.

I live in DC so I was thinking of catching the MARC train from baltimore to DC to come home. Classes will end at 9 PM and according to the MARC train schedule I can definately catch the last train back to DC.

My only concern is the reliability of MARC. Does anyone here commute to baltimore from DC late at night? If so can you please tell me if its usually late or what?

This one girl I know told me she tested out the commute from DC to baltimore and the train was 40 mins late that day.

40 minutes is alot of time!!!

I really would like to take the train to save on gas and parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 08:21 AM

8,226 posts, read 13,342,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdxyz View Post
hi all,

I will be taking night classes at university of baltimore which happens to be right across from the baltimore penn station.

I live in DC so I was thinking of catching the MARC train from baltimore to DC to come home. Classes will end at 9 PM and according to the MARC train schedule I can definately catch the last train back to DC.

My only concern is the reliability of MARC. Does anyone here commute to baltimore from DC late at night? If so can you please tell me if its usually late or what?

This one girl I know told me she tested out the commute from DC to baltimore and the train was 40 mins late that day.

40 minutes is alot of time!!!

I really would like to take the train to save on gas and parking.

You can also use amtrak.. though the fare is about $14 bucks which is double MARCs. I believe they have a 9:35pm, 10:40pm and a 11:40pm (just in case you want to hang out in Mt. Vernon) Fourty minutes is about the norm though the Amtrak only makes two stops before DC. I am not sure how many local stops the MARC makes that time of evening but if it also takes 40 minutes, generally it takes longer given the number of stops, it may be your best bet for the time and money... and use Amtrak as a fall back/ emergencies. MARC is generally reliable.. I have had more problems on during day/evening rush hour than i have had late in the evenings

Good Luck

Old 08-10-2009, 08:30 AM

31 posts, read 138,279 times
I commute to DC from Penn Station via the 9:15 pm train, and have found the MARC train very reliable. My train to DC has only had one major delay in over a year, and only a few 10-15 minute delays. A nice feature of catching a train at Penn Station is that if something ever does go amiss with the MARC train you can catch an AMTRAK train(expensive, though.)

Old 08-10-2009, 12:52 PM

41 posts, read 182,751 times
i commuted from baltimore to dc for over a year (now I'm a SAHM). but I'd say 95% of the time the Marc was a dream. but when it went bad, it went really bad. There was no such thing as a little bit late...it's either on time or your train isn't even coming it's so late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: