Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 10:20 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,885,027 times

Advertisements

I'm visiting Maryland for a month in May and it's my first time there. I'd like to know how are the people there. Are most of them nice, helpful, or the other way around? Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 10:45 AM

238 posts, read 1,505,224 times
Default people of maryland

I am from Ohio and have not spent much time in the state of Maryland. I will be honest and say that up to last year I thought most of the people from the state were pompous jerks. This is just because of the ones that moved to my area in Northeast Ohio. I really don't know why but 15-20 years ago alot of folks from various parts of the state settled here and the ones I knew were either elitists or hillbillies. I also have a business and seem to get alot of customers from the state who give me grief over stupid things. I have also had other dealings with them on my travels and my feelings were they were reserved and not very open to casual conversation which I took as rude. With that being said, this year I spent a couple weeks in the beautiful state of Maryland from Frederick to Baltimore to the eastern shore. I found the people to be courteous, kind and most of them had class which is something that is in short supply in most of my home state. You don't see as many freaks per say as in others parts of the country which to me is refreshing. I thought the women for the most part were very attractive, in good shape,well dressed and open. The men were much more thinner than where I am from and acted more mature. I thought the drivers were couteous and not aggressive considering the traffic they must contend with. All told I am a people watcher and feel I read people rather well and I must say that I was pleasently surprised by what I saw and the vibes I got while there. Maryland has a great location and you tend to get a somewhat laid back southern vibe in a very densely populated high growth area. Another thing from someone who travels alot is the economy seems so much better there than most parts of the country and this helps to elevate ones moods. Lastly I did come across a few people that you may consider rude but this was mostly minimum wage working 20 somethings which you will find anywhere and everywhere. Been there and done that..LOL

Old 12-09-2009, 01:46 PM

569 posts, read 1,442,497 times
Having lived in Cleveland for 14 years and living in Baltimore for the past 6, I can say that there are both nice people and douchebags everywhere. In my experience, people in the suburban areas have been friendlier and courteous. In the inner city, be it in Cleveland or Baltimore, people look straight ahead and avoid eye contact. This probably has more to do with being street-smart in the ghetto as there are thugs that will shoot you for looking at them the wrong way.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:15 AM

Well, sounds like it's not much different than here in Arizona.

You go to Phoenix, there's some nice people and some are criminals/thugs. It depends what part of Phoenix you are at. Central Phoenix is the worst, I think.

But here in Prescott/Prescott Valley, Arizona the people can be nice, but you have your bad ones here too (mostly the alcoholics and drug addicts are very rude and mean here). So, I guess it's not that much different than here then...

Thanks...

Old 12-10-2009, 11:20 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
What part(s) of MD will you be visiting?

Maryland is as varied as any state. Rural, small city, suburban, large city: they have it all.

The one thing I can say is that the closer you get to DC, the more rushed people are likely to be. You might not exchange as many niceities as you might further away. That's not to say there aren't great things about the MD suburbs around DC.

Other than that, it really depends on where you're planning to stay.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:29 PM

167 posts, read 426,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneGrail View Post
In the inner city, be it in Cleveland or Baltimore, people look straight ahead and avoid eye contact. This probably has more to do with being street-smart in the ghetto as there are thugs that will shoot you for looking at them the wrong way.
Hmm. I thought I was merely paying attention to where I was going, and concentrating on various other things that I either had to do or will be doing next. When I do give people passing a slight nod of greeting with smile or say hello, I sometimes get an acknowledgement back. Most pass because they're probably thinking of something else. So it doesn't make sense to expend time greeting people if you're not going to be greeted back. (But I do it anyway.)

It doesn't pay to stare into infinity in a bad neighborhood because that marks you as oblivious to everything by the local ne'er-do-wells, and therefore a target.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:01 PM

773 posts, read 2,631,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
I'm visiting Maryland for a month in May and it's my first time there. I'd like to know how are the people there. Are most of them nice, helpful, or the other way around? Thanks...
A pretty young lady, Lina Jo (especially with a southern accent), will find Baltimoreans very nice, helpful. and friendly.

Seriously, Baltimore is more Southern than Yankee ... you'll be fine.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
What part(s) of MD will you be visiting?

Maryland is as varied as any state. Rural, small city, suburban, large city: they have it all.

The one thing I can say is that the closer you get to DC, the more rushed people are likely to be. You might not exchange as many niceities as you might further away. That's not to say there aren't great things about the MD suburbs around DC.

Other than that, it really depends on where you're planning to stay.

I'll be mostly in the Baltimore, Towson, and Parkville areas. My best friend works in downtown Maryland and lives in Parkville, but is moving into a larger apartment (so I can be with them) in Towson.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
A pretty young lady, Lina Jo (especially with a southern accent), will find Baltimoreans very nice, helpful. and friendly.

Seriously, Baltimore is more Southern than Yankee ... you'll be fine.

Ahhh, thanks a million, Zea mays. I sure hope so. Well, my best friend, who I have known for 5 years, lives in the Parkville-Baltimore area. And he is really nice and a gentleman. So, it should be a really nice stay.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:27 AM

84 posts, read 241,462 times
Maryland is a lovely area, I was born and raised in Western MD and have lived on the Eastern Shore for 30 years. It is a anice area to live or visit and I find the people very friendly to everyone. Naturally is is close to DC, VA, NY and NJ. so many people have moved here from those and other areas, so it is all walks of life with veried interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore