Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 10:12 AM

152 posts, read 487,803 times

Advertisements

Baltimore City Paper: The News Hole: Wal-Mart Comes to Remington

The plus side to this plan is Wal-Mart will employ more people than that car dealership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 12:03 PM

8,249 posts, read 13,371,930 times
Wonder what the effect is going to be on the mom and pop stores? I know people were balking at the potential impact that Lowes' would have on the local hardware stores.. I am certain they will howl in pain over Walmart which will pretty much carry everything else that the rest in the stores Remington/Hampden/Waverly carry. Dont get me wrong.. I will certainly shop there because it is closer to my house..but for some pluses there are certainly going to be some minuses. Lowes and Walmart will definately generate some traffic.. figuratively and literally that will have a mixed impact on the area. The tax base(sales and property) not to mention jobs are needed so I guess its a plus

Wonder what is going to happen to the store at Port Covington?

Old 02-25-2010, 02:18 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,602,502 times
Not sure how much of this is gossip, but the Walmart is supposed to be built above a Home Depot. That may help with the whole "big box store" development. I am hoping they are incorporating some sort of parking deck along with this plan to cut back on a huge parking lot.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:31 PM

206 posts, read 798,313 times
Lowes, not Home Depot. It's going to be great, but traffic is getting really bad already in the city

Old 02-26-2010, 11:51 AM

775 posts, read 1,785,817 times
Not if we can get a Dollar General on top of the Walmart we'll have the perfect Baltimore shopping experience.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:14 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times
On the maps on the Sun it looks like its close to Hopkins, probably will get a lot of business from the college kids. If we can be like Virginia and let Walmart sell alcohol that would be REALLY big. Anyways I think it is a positive development, and it is a place where ordinary working people can afford to shop, unlike pretentious and yuppie places like Harborplace and the Galleria where many locals can't afford to go to.

The liberal media likes to complain about Walmart, like they have a vendetta against it. They never seem to go after other large companies like Target, Lowes, Home Depot, CVS, Walgreens etc. Walmart and McDonalds are the most hated for some reason. I know people who work at Walmart and they don't think its as terrible as the media portrays and it just depends on the location....granted they are college kids mostly. But having a bad job is better than no job. Maryland actually has strict laws about giving employees health care, etc..I think this hinders development and investment when the same companies can do business in Virginia or Texas with less restrictions and oversight. Maryland actually had a anti Walmart law about giving a certain % of the budget to health care, this kind of socialized thing.....of course they should give workers health care but it should be up to the company and the market. Nobody is forced to work anywhere.

I have lived in Baltimore for 2 years now and about 95% of my shopping has been done at the Walmart Supercenter in Arbutus/Lansdowne. Great that they also have the supermarket inside (wish they would sell gas too like Walmart does in some states, and alcohol like I have seen in Virginia and North Carolina). Walmart is a godsend for students like me and anyone who wants to save money, and save time by going to one single place and getting ALL the shopping done vs visit 3-4 different stores and wait in 3-4 different lines. I do silently snicker at people who go around flaunting their North Face jackets, Abercrombie sweatshirts or Uggs boots. To quote Gretchen WIlson I can get the same damn thing on a Walmart shelf half price!

Old 03-04-2010, 06:27 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,350,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The liberal media likes to complain about Walmart, like they have a vendetta against it. They never seem to go after other large companies like Target, Lowes, Home Depot, CVS, Walgreens etc. Walmart and McDonalds are the most hated for some reason. I know people who work at Walmart and they don't think its as terrible as the media portrays and it just depends on the location....granted they are college kids mostly. But having a bad job is better than no job. Maryland actually has strict laws about giving employees health care, etc..I think this hinders development and investment when the same companies can do business in Virginia or Texas with less restrictions and oversight. Maryland actually had a anti Walmart law about giving a certain % of the budget to health care, this kind of socialized thing.....of course they should give workers health care but it should be up to the company and the market. Nobody is forced to work anywhere.

I have lived in Baltimore for 2 years now and about 95% of my shopping has been done at the Walmart Supercenter in Arbutus/Lansdowne. Great that they also have the supermarket inside (wish they would sell gas too like Walmart does in some states, and alcohol like I have seen in Virginia and North Carolina). Walmart is a godsend for students like me and anyone who wants to save money, and save time by going to one single place and getting ALL the shopping done vs visit 3-4 different stores and wait in 3-4 different lines. I do silently snicker at people who go around flaunting their North Face jackets, Abercrombie sweatshirts or Uggs boots. To quote Gretchen WIlson I can get the same damn thing on a Walmart shelf half price!
People that wear that stuff shop at Walmart too. I like Walmart for the food prices, and sometimes some other random stuff that I need to pick up. But for some reason there doesn't seem to be too many Supercenters in the Baltimore area. In a lot of other places whenever they build a new one or renovate an older one they turn it into a Supercenter. But here I've been in at least two somewhat newer/renovated Walmarts that weren't supercenters.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:54 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
People that wear that stuff shop at Walmart too. I like Walmart for the food prices, and sometimes some other random stuff that I need to pick up. But for some reason there doesn't seem to be too many Supercenters in the Baltimore area. In a lot of other places whenever they build a new one or renovate an older one they turn it into a Supercenter. But here I've been in at least two somewhat newer/renovated Walmarts that weren't supercenters.
Yes this is true. Lansdowne Plaza is the only one Supercenter I know of. Dundalk, Catonsville, and Columbia are all regular Walmarts. Even on the Eastern Shore, both the Cambridge and Easton locations are NOT supercenters which is different than in similar sized towns I have been to in Virginia, North Carolina, Delaware, and Texas. Maybe it is pressure from the other supermarket chains who are complaining to county and city councils in the area. I do basically all my shopping at Walmart. The only regular supermarket in the Baltimore area I have been to is Mars which is decent.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:09 AM

152 posts, read 487,803 times
I thought that the Arbutus Walmart was a Supercenter. It looks just like the Supercenter in the rural Ohio town where my parents live -- it's huge and it has groceries.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:58 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,350,079 times
He did say Arbutus was a supercenter. However, all Walmarts have some groceries, but only Supercenters have pretty much everything.

IMO there are still less supercenters around here than there seem to be in some other places. For example I searched the website for stores near where I live now in MD, and there were 13 Walmarts within 15 miles of me, but only 2 were supercenters. Where I went to school in PA the first 6 stores on the list were all supercenters.

I think part of it is a lot of the Walmarts around here are located either right next to or very close to other grocery stores.

But this new one is supposed to be a supercenter right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore