Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 08:48 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong477 View Post
EC is arguably (and in my opinion) the nicest Baltimore burb. Home prices are high as a result.
Is it DC suburb expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 10:48 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
We almost moved there, but it seems way overpriced for what you get. It's a very nice suburb (for the east coast).

Old 12-15-2010, 12:27 AM

764 posts, read 1,657,345 times
Default Impressions

I've lived here three years in the same home in a cul de sac in a little neighborhood.
1. Ellicott City/Columbia are eithically diverse enough for me - our ES is 60%w, 40%a, 20%aa/h. I wouldn't say it's very economically diverse in most of Ellicott City, but Columbia and the eastern part of Howard County are more so.
2. I've met people who are from everywhere and anywhere. Neighbors from Serbia, Wales, Kansas, Chicago, NY, and few even from Maryland. (However I've yet to meet someone who actually grew up in EC/Columbia). [We looked in Severna Park, but the realtor told us there weren't many transplants in the area, and that turned us away.]
3. They've got a nice historic area with a goood funky vibe and a great wine shop (movies in the summer - bring your dog).
4. The library system in great, lots of farmer's markets in the summer, summer outdoor concerts. The Parks & Rec and youth sporting leagues are great.
5. The shopping is o.k. (compared to the suburbs of Alpharetta,GA and Bellevue,WA). If your into high end shopping you'll have to do a lot of driving.
6. It is truly a blessing to have Patapsco state park a skip and a jump from the area. There's so many different areas to explore. The walking trails in and around Columbia are nice as well.
7. It's great to be 30 min to downtown Baltimore for the aquarium, dinning, sporting events.
8. It's better to be 45 min. to DC (no traffic on a Sat AM for museum hopping).

If people have a bad impression of Howard County, it could be because it may be perceived as being a wealthy suburb (which I suppose it is in some ways), but it's not like Chevy Chase or McLean (with all 'real' wealth) OR maybe people are just dissing on the suburbs in general. We got the question 'Why are you moving close to DC and not living in DC? ' all the time when we moved here. (b/c we believe in public schools and don't have $1.5million for a house in Bethesda).
When I moved here I saw the bumber sticker "Choose Civility" (I've also seen "choose insanity" recently). Choose Civility - Home
That's what I think the essence is of the people I know and the people I've met during my time here.

Old 12-25-2010, 03:12 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,149,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carroll4628 View Post
2. I've met people who are from everywhere and anywhere. Neighbors from Serbia, Wales, Kansas, Chicago, NY, and few even from Maryland. (However I've yet to meet someone who actually grew up in EC/Columbia).
That's funny because in our neighborhood on the border of EC/Columbia there are at least three people now raising their kids in the house where they grew up. I also know quite a few parents at our school that grew up in Columbia! I've been surprised how many natives I've met, including several who've told me they are B.C. (Before Columbia). Our neighborhood is B.C., though, and probably about 75% natives or people who have lived here 40+ years.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,076 times
I'm new to this forum. I was searching for moving companies and stumbled onto this forum and this specific thread. We are in the process of relocating from Roseville CA (25 miles NE of Sacramento) to Columbia-Ellicott City. I started my job in Oct and have commuting and telecommuting between Columbia and Roseville. So far my impression of both Columbia and Ellicott City is quite positive.
The reason I am posting is that we will be looking to buy a house/townhouse mid 2011 and wanted to get feedback about which locations to buy in and which home builders are recommended. We are empty-nesters so an Active Adult community is an option we will consider. Thank you

Old 01-03-2011, 08:43 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,866,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
Historic Ellicott City or the suburban areas around it? The EC post address name covers a good chuck of territory that runs from the old village to townhouses and apartments to large McMansions on several acres.

Altogether it's a pleasant place and feeds into the fabled Howard County Schools. If you want a suburban cul-de-sac environment yet close to a historic village, I can't argue with Ellicott City even though I would personally prefer other suburban areas.

Someone above is correct: people who live in Baltimore and Baltimore County rarely factor Howard County as part of the Baltimore area. Howard is geographically close to Baltimore and Ellicott City is almost the same distance from downtown as Towson is, but because of how the streets in Baltimore are oriented leading out of the city, and particularly the interstates, there's no direct access route into Howard County, and as a consequence most of Baltimore and its suburbs rarely venture into Howard County.

If the I-70 extension into downtown had ever been completed, this scenario would probably be very different.
actually there is a direct access route from baltimore to howard county. 895 south via the tunnel to washington blvd. i used to use that route quite often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore