Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 02:38 PM

6 posts, read 13,812 times

Advertisements

Wanted to people's opinion. What do people think about Augusta and Bangor. I know they are bigger cities so I figured jobs and schools would be better. I don't know much about either one. Any insights about either or both would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 02:44 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebornemans View Post
Wanted to people's opinion. What do people think about Augusta and Bangor. I know they are bigger cities so I figured jobs and schools would be better. I don't know much about either one. Any insights about either or both would be appreciated.
You need to know the criteria you want for comparison.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:50 PM

6 posts, read 13,812 times
Near some sort of water, easy traveling to outdoor recreational areas. House prices 100,000 and below. Better schools. Low Crime. Hopefully good assortment of jobs.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebornemans View Post
Near some sort of water, easy traveling to outdoor recreational areas. House prices 100,000 and below. Better schools. Low Crime. Hopefully good assortment of jobs.
Both are on a major river. Bangor is about 45 minutes from the coast.

Bangor is closer to outdoor recreational areas (Acadia National Park, Baxter State Park, etc). Augusta is closer to urban activities.

Neither has many homes under $100,000, but they are available 10 or more miles outside of Bangor.

Bangor much better schools.

Both have low crime rates.

Neither has a good assortment of jobs. You should get a job before coming here. Maine is a poor state with very few opportunities.

Good luck.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:44 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
You can't accurately judge the worth of a school by the size of the town it's in. DD2 graduated high school in a class of 52 with a semester of college finished thanks to a small school that goes above and beyond. We moved away from a larger area because the school system was unacceptable.

You can stop in at the office and ask for a tour and to meet with teachers. A lot of schools have websites with contact information. Good luck with your search. Maine is a great place to live.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
You can't accurately judge the worth of a school by the size of the town it's in. DD2 graduated high school in a class of 52 with a semester of college finished thanks to a small school that goes above and beyond. We moved away from a larger area because the school system was unacceptable.
Who was doing that? Bangor has consistently been the best large school system, and high school, in the state for as long as I can remember. If you want a small school system, you'd have to go town by town around the Bangor and Augusta areas.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:58 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
My son went to the augusta schools- and he's doing very well in college

Old 08-17-2011, 04:09 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Who was doing that? Bangor has consistently been the best large school system, and high school, in the state for as long as I can remember. If you want a small school system, you'd have to go town by town around the Bangor and Augusta areas.
Woodland Jr/Sr High. They're not AP, they're actual courses taken through colleges. The Guidance office handled most of the paperwork for all three university and college campuses. DD has taken courses through University of Maine's Orono campus, University of Maine's Augusta campus and Washington County Community College. Her college accepted all of her credits. It gave her a her a head start to a double major with a minor. Her high school is barely a Class C sized school.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:09 PM

325 posts, read 924,942 times
I find Augusta a lost opportunity- it COULD be a great city; a nice (architecturally) downtown, but essentailly deserted. All activity is on the fringes/strip malls.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:24 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmass View Post
I find Augusta a lost opportunity- it COULD be a great city; a nice (architecturally) downtown, but essentailly deserted. All activity is on the fringes/strip malls.
many old main streets - are similar- business moved outside of mainstreets because of restrictive parking,..... and the cost of land is much less

i remember shopping on main st in augusta, and they use to charge for parking!!!- the businesses that moved away from main streets- didnt charge for parking....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area