Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 07:34 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Atlanta is a terrible pro-sports town. They seem to support the college sports well. But even in the 90s you could walk up and get playoff seats for the Braves.
Funny, but now that you mention it you got me thinking about that subject a bit. I've noticed that practically everywhere I've lived is either a college or pro sports town, but never both.

Kind of odd, never thought about that before but it seems to ring true everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 07:39 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Atlanta is a terrible pro-sports town. They seem to support the college sports well.
Having grown up in NYC (a Mets fan) and having lived in the Boston area for 15 years before moving here, I can attest that it's absolutely the case. I'm an avid MLB fan and I love NFL football (Red Sox and Pats), with a little Bruins hockey for good measure.

Here in Atlanta, starting this time of year, everyone starts buzzing about college football. Despite the fact that the Braves are in 1st place and heading into a pennant race, there is next to no excitment in this town. The stands are half empty, and most people have a ho hum attitude towards baseball.

The reasons have been explained....and Atlanta isn't alone. Miami and Tampa have similar situations.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:48 AM

364 posts, read 717,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Having grown up in NYC (a Mets fan) and having lived in the Boston area for 15 years before moving here, I can attest that it's absolutely the case. I'm an avid MLB fan and I love NFL football (Red Sox and Pats), with a little Bruins hockey for good measure.

Here in Atlanta, starting this time of year, everyone starts buzzing about college football. Despite the fact that the Braves are in 1st place and heading into a pennant race, there is next to no excitment in this town. The stands are half empty, and most people have a ho hum attitude towards baseball.

The reasons have been explained....and Atlanta isn't alone. Miami and Tampa have similar situations.

Exactly, football, and to be more exact college football is the show in the south. The Braves get love, but no where near the amount that UGA does. The Falcons sell out the most of all the teams here, and Im sure if they can string a couple more winning seasons together and maybe even win a SB, the city will go ape sh1t. Football is king down here, everything else takes a back seat.

But with that said
GO BRAVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope the Philly fans had fun for the couple of years they had on top in the NL East, 'cuz the Bravos are back!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-10-2010, 09:31 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,343,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
Exactly, football, and to be more exact college football is the show in the south. The Braves get love, but no where near the amount that UGA does. The Falcons sell out the most of all the teams here, and Im sure if they can string a couple more winning seasons together and maybe even win a SB, the city will go ape sh1t. Football is king down here, everything else takes a back seat.

But with that said
GO BRAVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope the Philly fans had fun for the couple of years they had on top in the NL East, 'cuz the Bravos are back!!!!!!!!!
Don't get too comfortable!

Old 08-10-2010, 05:18 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times
Quote:
Atlanta is a terrible pro-sports town. They seem to support the college sports well. But even in the 90s you could walk up and get playoff seats for the Braves.

thats seems like the only argument people have of Braves fans on city data, they attract an above average home-game attendance.

and there were quite a bit of Braves fans at the Astros game last night in Houston doing the tomahawk chop when the braves scored, I was there cheering on the Braves.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:58 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:

Braves will be out of first place by Sunday Night

Old 08-10-2010, 09:23 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I hope not, but I'm too busy paying attention to where the real action is taking place...in the AL East.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:32 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
I hope not, but I'm too busy paying attention to where the real action is taking place...in the AL East.
Well they played good tonight and the Phillies lost but it would be nice to see 6 or 7 more of the Braves win and Phillies lose

Old 08-10-2010, 11:46 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,076,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Great it's set in stone

Mr. "Roy Halladay is a mediocre pitcher" thinks the Phillies will be in 1st by next week.

In other words, the Phillies will be 8 out by next week.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:55 AM

364 posts, read 717,837 times
Quote:

I disagree with the bolded. I have noticed allot more excitement this year for not just this 2010 season but for the future as well. I went to SweetWater Brewery just a few weeks ago and at least 2 different people had those "Jason Heyward is my Friend" shirts on, went to Star Bar in LP5 the very same night and saw another person with that shirt on, and from the people I know there seems to be a feeling of excitement for the Braves future with people like Hanson and Heyward and even Freddie Freeman for next year. The attendance in Atlanta isnt the Yankees or Red Sox by any stretch, but it really isnt that bad. They do sell out, and the games are usually more than half full when they dont. Especially when you factor in the crazy @ss heat, and also dont forget that the traffic is so bad that a 7:10 weekday game is next to impossible for people in the northern burbs to get to.

And you grew up a Mets fan?? Im sorry to hear that....lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball