Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2014, 11:28 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

I seem to recall alluding to this a couple of years ago, but I can't find the thread. But now I have Japanese League stats, too, so it becomes more interesting.

I think there is only one stat that can be used to measure the relative quality of play at different levels of baseball: Combined WP/PB per game. That is a stat that cannot be fudged by scorers -- if a runner advances without batter action or attempting a steal, it has to be called either a Wild Pitch or a Passed Ball, there is no way to get around it. All other stats tend to equalize where the defense and offense are at similar level, or can be inflated by scorer's judgment and expectation of effort.

Here is the number of WP/PB per game at various levels:

2013 PB/WP per game
0.643 Japanese Central League Foreign
0.830 MLB
1.067 International League AAA
1.169 Southern League AA
1.485 Mexican League
1.612 Frontier League Independent
1.780 Midwest League A
1.796 Italian League Foreign
2.043 Dutch Major League Foreign
2.956 Pioneer League Rookie
3.349 Arizona League Rookie Winter

Every league is in the order one would expect, based on the skill levels of the players. But the foreign leagues are surprising, and the presence of the Japanese Central League firmly at the top of the list is fascinating. There were four players in the Italian League had major league experience, including Chris Aguila, who played 149 games in four MLB seasons.

I tried to rank NCAA stats in this context, but for some reason NCAA stats count PB, but not WP, so I am unable to determine the number of those scoring events. But as I recall, I had previously found such stats, and rated high-level conference teams in NCAA between the level of AA and AAA.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-19-2014 at 12:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 05:51 PM

460 posts, read 982,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I seem to recall alluding to this a couple of years ago, but I can't find the thread. But now I have Japanese League stats, too, so it becomes more interesting.

I think there is only one stat that can be used to measure the relative quality of play at different levels of baseball: Combined WP/PB per game. That is a stat that cannot be fudged by scorers -- if a runner advances without batter action or attempting a steal, it has to be called either a Wild Pitch or a Passed Ball, there is no way to get around it. All other stats tend to equalize where the defense and offense are at similar level, or can be inflated by scorer's judgment and expectation of effort.

Here is the number of WP/PB per game at various levels:

2013 PB/WP per game
0.643 Japanese Central League Foreign
0.830 MLB
1.067 International League AAA
1.169 Southern League AA
1.485 Mexican League
1.612 Frontier League Independent
1.780 Midwest League A
1.796 Italian League Foreign
2.043 Dutch Major League Foreign
2.956 Pioneer League Rookie
3.349 Arizona League Rookie Winter

Every league is in the order one would expect, based on the skill levels of the players. But the foreign leagues are surprising, and the presence of the Japanese Central League firmly at the top of the list is fascinating. There were four players in the Italian League had major league experience, including Chris Aguila, who played 149 games in four MLB seasons.

I tried to rank NCAA stats in this context, but for some reason NCAA stats count PB, but not WP, so I am unable to determine the number of those scoring events. But as I recall, I had previously found such stats, and rated high-level conference teams in NCAA between the level of AA and AAA.
The WB/PB metric looks at the quality of play of the pitcher and catcher and not necessarily the entire team. Interesting angle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball