Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 01:14 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

First replay took place today, and the Twins announcers say they still got it wrong.

A high throw to first pulled the first baseman off the bag, but the Twins manager thought he still came down on the bag bef9re the runner. Umps ,, who called safe, had only one camera shot to look at (in a spring training game), and it was apparently not conclusive. At first it looked like the foot came down before the runner, but the angle was not conclusive, so the safe call was upheld.

The manager called for the replay within seconds, without having looked at a replay himself. The official delay was 2:34.

Another replay later in the same game, also a bang-bang play at first, upheld, and again, with spring training camera shots which showed nothing.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-03-2014 at 01:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 04:06 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
The managers in the Rays-Blue Jays games both used a stalling technique by going out to argue while looking at their bench coaches who waited for a call from their video guy telling them whether they should challenge the call. This is ridiculous. Either the managers saw a reversible call or not. They should not be allowed to be stalling like they do - the game is already long enough. They should have 30 seconds after the play to make their "challenge" in the same manner that NFL coaches get a short time before the next play -

Old 04-01-2014, 05:04 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
The managers in the Rays-Blue Jays games both used a stalling technique by going out to argue while looking at their bench coaches who waited for a call from their video guy telling them whether they should challenge the call. This is ridiculous. -
And how long would the argument have gone on if there was no replay in use? Replay isn't going to sloow the game down, or speed it up. The time needed to review the play is replacing the time that formerly would have been consumed with a protracted argument which settled nothing and might have resulted in the manager being ejected.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:32 PM

I'm pretty sure BOTH plays wouldn't have even brought out the managers last season. They wouldn't have argued them - it was sham that they went out there. They went out there because it was questionable at best and they stalled to let video guys using ultra slow motion look at it. I go to 20+ games every year and will lose patience with the game if this stuff goes on - and the Rays already have attendance problems. Don't need anything to cause games to go past 3 hrs. Game is frustrating to watch when batters take their sweet time and call timeout after every pitch to adjust every piece of equipment - then pitchers do the same. I can find other things to do than watch/go to games. Molasses.....

Old 04-03-2014, 11:12 PM

358 posts, read 711,050 times
I'm totally against replay. Oakland-mariners today provided the perfect example. Oakland player attempted an inside park home run, got thrown out by a mile. We then had a, oh, 7 or 8 minute replay delay (and i think i'm being generous it may have been longer). The ump had to retreat to some room within the club offices because his headset was not working on the field. It really sucked the life out what otherwise would have been a very exciting inning of baseball. The call made by the home plate ump was flawless. Yet we get this intrusive replay scenario. Classic thing was the announcers all along saying "well gee you have a challenge and you haven't used it yet so...WHY NOT?!" It saddens me that a sport like baseball has given in to this garbage. It's bad enough that you can't hear yourself think at a game nowadays with all the manufactured noise. Oh and $8 or $9 beer. Give me AA baseball over this mess.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:45 AM

takes away momentum of the game, causes delays in the game, makes the game boring - managers have used the challenges unstrategically and have neede them in the crucial situations later in the game -

I have a 20-game package to the Rays season and don't look forward to mind numbing hours sitting watching a game where thing need to move along - players already waste too much time adjusting, spitting, and doing stuff on the mound and batters' box......the sport needs a shot clock 20-30 seconds between pitches.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:10 AM

358 posts, read 711,050 times
They simply MUST take the challenge decision away from the manager. This is a train wreck with all of this stall ball and manufactured strategery. Let the umps confer on a play and decide if the situation warrants it. Then they can run over and check a few replay angles and then move on with life. I mean watching these managers fake-argue while waiting for the dugout to advise on whether to challenge...must be one of the more pathetic scenes I've witnessed. It baseball must have replay, then they have got to reverse course on how it's done.
Although I'm opposed to replay on principle, the NBA seems to have instituted it in a minimal, sensible way. Why can't football and baseball figure it out?

Old 04-04-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouzon View Post
I'm totally against replay. Oakland-mariners today provided the perfect example. Oakland player attempted an inside park home run, got thrown out by a mile. We then had a, oh, 7 or 8 minute replay delay (and i think i'm being generous it may have been longer). The ump had to retreat to some room within the club offices because his headset was not working on the field. It really sucked the life out what otherwise would have been a very exciting inning of baseball. The call made by the home plate ump was flawless. Yet we get this intrusive replay scenario. .
I watched the game and according to the announcers, the replay review wasn't to determine if the tag beat the runner, but whether or not the plate had been blocked improperly according to the new rules.

It all could have been avoided, the inning could have ended with Punto striking out on that fantastic curve that was so clearly a strike, but Elias and Zunio screwed it up by showboating, heading for the dugout before the umpire made his ruling. That apparently pissed off the ump and he called a punitive ball to send them a message about waiting. What other explanation can there be? It was not some borderline pitch which could have gone either way, it dropped right across the center of the plate.

Oddly, apart from that one uncommonly tiny interpretation of the strike zone, the ump maintained a rather large strike zone all night, especially on low pitches, If it was above the ankles, it was a strike.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:34 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,095,424 times
In full agreement. The implementation of the new replay system is not good, and the new rules on whether or not someone is blocking home plate is ridiculous. I don't like replay in basketball, either. Neither of these sports need more things to slow them down. Basketball becomes a late-game marathon mess particularly when head coaches find they still have multiple time-outs and they use them after free-throw and made basket to progress the ball to mid-court. Add in the fact that any close-play out of bounds gets replayed, and the final 2 minutes of a [relatively] close NBA game can take 30 minutes to play.

Even football's challenge system is too much, for me.

Get this stuff out of here.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post

Get this stuff out of here.
TV technology has triggered this and it will prevent any return to the old days.

The basic problem is this...with slow motion replay, most of the time you can make an exact determination of the outcome of a play. The situation became one where fans watching at home were in far superior positions to make the calls than were the officials who had to figure it all out while it was happening at regular speed. It was preposterous to have a situation where the least well informed people were the ones charged with making the calls.

Junk the new replay rules and we are back to that situation, one where the people least qualified to make the decisions are making the decisions.

It is a trade off, the price for vanquishing the outrage over blown calls is the delay while the precise determination is made. Now that they can get it right exactly, they will not be going back to a system where the ruling was some officials guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball