Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 03:30 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
There is no way Wren loses his job in Atlanta. He's done a great job in locking up the young talent on the roster, and is loved by upper management.

If anyone is going to be fired on the Braves staff, it should be their hitting coach. There is no way that a team with the amount of offensive talent as the Braves shouldn't have a single hitter batting over .300.

I would love to see Chipper brought in as the hitting coach
Wren can be working behind the scenes solidifying the future of the Braves, but his immediate focus is the product on the field. I have not noticed any improvements for the Braves since last season.

I wonder how investing in the wrong players and not upgrading talent to win consistently should warrant a general manager to keep his job. Any general manager who follows this model for several seasons in a row are usually relieved of their responsibilities.

I think Greg Walker is doing a good job with the talent he has. Adding Jones as an assistant hitting coach can only help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 10:55 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Wren can be working behind the scenes solidifying the future of the Braves, but his immediate focus is the product on the field. I have not noticed any improvements for the Braves since last season.

I wonder how investing in the wrong players and not upgrading talent to win consistently should warrant a general manager to keep his job. Any general manager who follows this model for several seasons in a row are usually relieved of their responsibilities.

I think Greg Walker is doing a good job with the talent he has. Adding Jones as an assistant hitting coach can only help.
The team has also been ravaged by injuries (including 2 of our starting pitchers and a couple of set-up men), yet we continue to have one of the best pitching staffs in baseball. Mainly because of Wren signing Santana and picking up Harang off the junk heap.

If it weren't for Wren, as you say, "working behind the scenes solidifying the future of the Braves" this past off season, the team would have lost players like Kimbrel and Medlen to Free Agency.

It is because of Wren that we are still in contention at this point in the season.

As for praising Walker, how can you praise someone who took players of the caliber of BJ Upton and Uggla and completely ruined their technique at the plate? Every player on the team is batting under .300, with a good portion of the team hitting below the Mendoza line!!

Old 07-29-2014, 10:23 PM

Default Wren and Walker of the Atlanta Braves

Quote:
The team has also been ravaged by injuries (including 2 of our starting pitchers and a couple of set-up men), yet we continue to have one of the best pitching staffs in baseball. Mainly because of Wren signing Santana and picking up Harang off the junk heap.

If it weren't for Wren, as you say, "working behind the scenes solidifying the future of the Braves" this past off season, the team would have lost players like Kimbrel and Medlen to Free Agency.

It is because of Wren that we are still in contention at this point in the season.

As for praising Walker, how can you praise someone who took players of the caliber of BJ Upton and Uggla and completely ruined their technique at the plate? Every player on the team is batting under .300, with a good portion of the team hitting below the Mendoza line!!
Basically, you are praising Wren and criticizing Walker when Braves Country thinks differently.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:39 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,087 times
Quote:
Basically, you are praising Wren and criticizing Walker when Braves Country thinks differently.
Yeah, I am. I've been a Braves fan since birth and I'm entitled to my opinions of how I feel the team is being run. I haven't seen many opinions like what you have been posting on some of the Braves sites and boards I frequent.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:04 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
I hate the Braves but there is no way Wren or Gonzalez is going to get fired. They have had so many injuries this year. It's amazing how they have stayed competitive. They have a good team, they will be fine. The Uggla and BJ Upton signings were horrible, but they weren't the worst things because they have been competitive in spite of those moves.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:19 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,658,020 times
Quote:
Managers:
Freddi Gonzalez; Atlanta Braves: Losing the division race to the Nationals would result in Frank Wren's dismissal. Wren's successor could bring in a replacement. (Ned Yost would welcome the opportunity to manage the Braves.)
Mike Matheny; St. Louis Cardinals

Coaches:
John Mabry; Hitting Coach, St. Louis Cardinals: The Cardinals' hitting has been highly inconsistent.

General Managers:
Frank Wren; Atlanta Braves: Wren has not done well managing the overall product of the Atlanta Braves. He sat on his hands in the offseason letting Tim Hudson and Brain McCann walk. He has not brought in another bat. He was not able to find takers for Dan Uggla, who was released on unconditional waivers. If the Braves do not make any trades and miss the postseason, Wren is good as gone.
I agree on Wren.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:56 PM

1,074 posts, read 949,843 times
Amaro needs to be fired. He didn't even trade anyone.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:06 AM

Default Rubén Amaro, Jr.; General Manager, Philadelphia Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
Amaro needs to be fired. He didn't even trade anyone.
Amaro will be relieved of his duties as the Phillies' general manager at season's end. The Phillies are far removed from their 2011 National League East Division championship. They have reverted back to the basement.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:01 PM

1,074 posts, read 949,843 times
If the Dodgers don't win the World Series, Mattingly may be fired from the job. Some people thought so last year, it may apply again.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:58 PM

Default Greg Walker; Hitting Coach, Atlanta Braves

Quote:
Yeah, I am. I've been a Braves fan since birth and I'm entitled to my opinions of how I feel the team is being run. I haven't seen many opinions like what you have been posting on some of the Braves sites and boards I frequent.
I will need to support your idea of relieving Greg Walker as the hitting coach for the Atlanta Braves. Six straight losses, including sweeps by the Dodgers and Padres, are quickly connected to inconsistent hitting. Freddie Freeman, Chris Johnson and the Upton brothers should be hitting and scoring runs, not grounding out, striking out, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball