Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2017, 12:37 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,013,581 times

Advertisements

While I am admittedly a fan of the entire game and prefer MLB over NCAA baseball.. A few things really irk me about NCAA baseball.. I will list the main 2 and let everyone (if anyone wants to discuss this or take it further on this topic of my favorite sport.

1. Why on earth are they using metal bats? Players are not learning how to hit properly if they have any hope at playing at another level professionally with this? Metal bats are also proven to be more dangerous with line drives at pitchers. Let's just stop this insanity. I don't understand the reasoning at all.

2. Why is the season starting in mid February still? Don't give me its to fit in the sport during the fiscal or academic year. The NCAA has proven over and over with all of its dealings it is not about the student athlete so lets pretend its not and actually help grow NCAA baseball in more Northern schools and start the season in preferably mid March and have the College World Series occur in July instead of June..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 12:48 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,403,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
While I am admittedly a fan of the entire game and prefer MLB over NCAA baseball.. A few things really irk me about NCAA baseball.. I will list the main 2 and let everyone (if anyone wants to discuss this or take it further on this topic of my favorite sport.

1. Why on earth are they using metal bats? Players are not learning how to hit properly if they have any hope at playing at another level professionally with this? Metal bats are also proven to be more dangerous with line drives at pitchers. Let's just stop this insanity. I don't understand the reasoning at all.

2. Why is the season starting in mid February still? Don't give me its to fit in the sport during the fiscal or academic year. The NCAA has proven over and over with all of its dealings it is not about the student athlete so lets pretend its not and actually help grow NCAA baseball in more Northern schools and start the season in preferably mid March and have the College World Series occur in July instead of June..
Little League Baseball uses metal bats as well.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:36 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,179,692 times
Metal bats are an economic measure. They do not break as do the wooden ones.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:25 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,013,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Metal bats are an economic measure. They do not break as do the wooden ones.
Shouldn't be an issue for the NCAA economically. Its doing quite well in terms of $.

Old 12-27-2017, 05:21 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,732,753 times
The NCAA isn't buying bats for schools though.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:39 AM

3,812 posts, read 4,706,109 times
1. I'm sure most college baseball players "hope" to make it to the next level but the reality of it is most will not. If you had wooden bats it would probably bring down a lot of the excitement in the game of college baseball & I'm not sure they can afford that. It's not really popular already although the college world series probably has some decent ratings. Imagine having some boring ass college baseball games. Not good.

It would also be very expensive too. Most people don't know how to avoid breaking a bat on an inside pitch.

2. As far as starting in February I don't know why. Maybe because it's always been like that. Maybe because for the small % of players that do get drafted overall June is the month they need to be finishing. If you finish much later you might as well extend it until August because it's almost too late to really do anything at the minor league level. And having that 2.5 months of minor league ball after college I think is a big help in terms of preparing yourself for pro ball. Imagine being drafted in mid July. By the time you sign it's already August. You have like 1 month of pro ball. That's not long at all. So now you have to wait until next February before you really start working out with your team.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:53 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,309,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
1. I'm sure most college baseball players "hope" to make it to the next level but the reality of it is most will not. If you had wooden bats it would probably bring down a lot of the excitement in the game of college baseball & I'm not sure they can afford that. It's not really popular already although the college world series probably has some decent ratings. Imagine having some boring ass college baseball games. Not good.

It would also be very expensive too. Most people don't know how to avoid breaking a bat on an inside pitch.

2. As far as starting in February I don't know why. Maybe because it's always been like that. Maybe because for the small % of players that do get drafted overall June is the month they need to be finishing. If you finish much later you might as well extend it until August because it's almost too late to really do anything at the minor league level. And having that 2.5 months of minor league ball after college I think is a big help in terms of preparing yourself for pro ball. Imagine being drafted in mid July. By the time you sign it's already August. You have like 1 month of pro ball. That's not long at all. So now you have to wait until next February before you really start working out with your team.

About 10 percent of college players will eventually sign a contract with an MLB organization. 20 percent from Div 1. Also note that over the past several years, half or more of all drafted players did play some college ball. The odds are greater that a guy out of college will make it to the majors over guys signed out of HS.

The season starts in February so the regular season concludes by the end of the spring semester, leaving another month for tournaments and WS. Players that do get drafted out of college most likely will play in a short season (10 week) league.

Also want to point out MLB is pleased on how colleges develop players. So much so that they are currently lobbying the NCAA to increase scholarship availability to compete for athletes that other-wise may choose Football or Basketball over Baseball. Currently full rides in Baseball are an non-existent. However at some point for that to happen MLB would have to kick in funds as schools do not make money on Baseball.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:17 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,706,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
About 10 percent of college players will eventually sign a contract with an MLB organization. 20 percent from Div 1. Also note that over the past several years, half or more of all drafted players did play some college ball. The odds are greater that a guy out of college will make it to the majors over guys signed out of HS.

The season starts in February so the regular season concludes by the end of the spring semester, leaving another month for tournaments and WS. Players that do get drafted out of college most likely will play in a short season (10 week) league.

Also want to point out MLB is pleased on how colleges develop players. So much so that they are currently lobbying the NCAA to increase scholarship availability to compete for athletes that other-wise may choose Football or Basketball over Baseball. Currently full rides in Baseball are an non-existent. However at some point for that to happen MLB would have to kick in funds as schools do not make money on Baseball.

Do you think that in college baseball. The very competitive divisions like the SEC could almost be compared to Rookie League at the pro level? Maybe not all teams but the power house teams.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:04 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,309,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Do you think that in college baseball. The very competitive divisions like the SEC could almost be compared to Rookie League at the pro level? Maybe not all teams but the power house teams.
I would say most D1 teams from major conferences would be competitive (maybe not quite as good) in comparison to the Rookie Leagues. After all Rookie Leagues are composed mostly of HS kids right out of school in which many of them will not advance beyond that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball