Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the regular season be shortened
Yes, shorten the regular season 23 44.23%
No, keep it as it is 29 55.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 12:35 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,925,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
November 1st, that is far too deep into the fall for me.
Why?
What happens in the fall that makes you lose interest in baseball?

Quote:
You shouldn't have to attend the world series wearing a parka.
Is this a big problem for you?
Are you attending so many World Series games in parkas that it's not worth it for you anymore?
Maybe you skip one and give your ticket to someone who might never have a chance to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 02:39 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,480,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Why?

Old 03-11-2018, 04:32 PM

4,884 posts, read 5,019,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Yes and no. The number of games is fine, the lack of double-headers is the problem. At one time there was a DH almost every Sunday, that would easily cut 15-25 days out of the schedule.
This would get them out of playing in November. I know rainouts could pose a problem, but the covered stadiums and historically dry climate teams could make a difference.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:24 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,769,634 times
I once wrote out (just for myself & for kicks) a schedule of 148 games. Season basically ended when summer did (9/21 or thereabouts). This was before the double wild card scenario that is in place now. I replaced 14 regular season games with three full rounds of playoffs (3 games -WC, then 5-DS, and another 7-LCS, plus 7 World Series). No one-off games. Teams deserve a better shot than that. Teams with the best record in each league got the first round off, and no off day in the first round either; nor one in between first and second round.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
I once wrote out (just for myself & for kicks) a schedule of 148 games. Season basically ended when summer did (9/21 or thereabouts). This was before the double wild card scenario that is in place now. I replaced 14 regular season games with three full rounds of playoffs (3 games -WC, then 5-DS, and another 7-LCS, plus 7 World Series). No one-off games. Teams deserve a better shot than that. Teams with the best record in each league got the first round off, and no off day in the first round either; nor one in between first and second round.
Don't get why so many baseball fans want less baseball, but, whatever.

Quite a punishment you gave to the 1st round winner not giving them a travel day. Especially if the Mariners had to go play the Rays or something

Old 03-12-2018, 05:25 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,480,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
agree w/ this....the one-offs aren't the best way to decide the better team - fans deserve more than a single elimination game.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
agree w/ this....the one-offs aren't the best way to decide the better team - fans deserve more than a single elimination game.
Neither is a post season comprised of several rounds of best-of series.

Baseball's post season doesn't determine the best team, just which one won the post season tournament,

Old 03-12-2018, 06:59 AM

749 posts, read 482,896 times
There’s no reason for 162 games but unfortunately they can’t change it cuz of the record books. But if we could restart history baseball would only be about 100-120 games and the games would be quite faster. Part of the reason players take ped is they are bored and need energy. It must feel like a real grind to travel and never get any days off. Maybe baseball should be 3 days off 4 days on with some double headers. Not fair that players get no summer vacation. Millions of dollars with no time to enjoy their lives. At least in Nba almost every other day is off. In baseball there’s no days off. And you travel on off days. No need for 162 games plus extended preseason and spring training plus long playoffs.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:49 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,769,634 times
Quote:
Don't get why so many baseball fans want less baseball, but, whatever.

Quite a punishment you gave to the 1st round winner not giving them a travel day. Especially if the Mariners had to go play the Rays or something
Just want more games that matter, or maybe just less games that don't matter. I suggested two less weeks of regular season games. Is that really such a great loss?

No travel day in the first round has two purposes: The team with the best record, which has the first round off, shouldn't have to sit around for six days losing momentum. (There would be a day off at season's end.) Four days is a good, fair rest and reward. Furthermore, the teams that don't win the division and/or don't have the best record should have some kind of disadvantage. Players will be less bothered about losing travel days than being forced to relying on winning a one-off. You want a travel or rest day, win the first two games in the first round.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:43 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,173,406 times
Quote:
Why?

Is this a big problem for you?
Are you attending so many World Series games in parkas that it's not worth it for you anymore?
Maybe you skip one and give your ticket to someone who might never have a chance to go.
Late fall is a problem because baseball is a pastime - and that label fits very well. I go to a game because it can be exciting - but only between the long stretches of relative inactivity. During those stretches, you sit and yack (hmmm, this site doesn't allow y-a-k for some reason) with your friends, eat popcorn and dogs, keep score, or just sit and soak in the sun - passing time. Nobody I know wants to do that wearing gloves, a parka, and a warm hat while your buns freeze on a cold hard plastic seat with a chilly wind blowing. That my way of ing.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 03-12-2018 at 11:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball