Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 08:52 AM

731 posts, read 725,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
How's this response have anything to do with my question?
Bingo.....you're a pinstripe whiner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 01:32 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,708,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
I am a diehard Yankees fan, go to several games a year, etc. However, I do not taunt my friends and relatives who are fans of other teams whenever their teams fail, and I certainly do not feel that they are bad people for liking the teams that they like. I have many friends who are Phillies, Mets and Red Sox fans, and it does not fail that every time the Yankees lose, they will personally call me to laugh in my face. And last year, they were throwing a fit about them almost making it to the WS. And then they also act like instead of working hard for our success, we lazed around and cheated our way to 27 World Series wins. They call them the "entitled Yankees" and say every night that "all Yankees fans are jerks that have no class and behave like animals." Meanwhile, they are the ones calling me and other Yankee fans a jerk on a daily basis and laughing in our face and taunting us (beyond the usual teasing, I can understand that and I do it also), so I just don't understand why we are considered the evil fans when they are so much worse (at least my friends are, it's not a stereotype of all fans of those teams). Myself and all of the Yankees fans I know are the nicest people and classiest fans there are, so I'm just wondering what I'm missing here.
You are being punished for the obnoxious Yankee fans. Since the Yankees have so many fans, they are are bound to have a proportionately high number of a-holes.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:47 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkItUp View Post
Bingo.....you're a pinstripe whiner.
Okey dokey.

Now, how do Yankee fans act different than any other fans?

Old 04-22-2018, 01:09 AM

834 posts, read 528,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
So we seriously have to quit winning in order to appease the other fans? These are fans that openly think we cheat our way into winning the championship instead of using our money wisely and working hard.
PED usage counts as cheating according to, um, everyone. Multiple star Yankee players have cheated and have admitted it. Pretending that didn't happen is an excellent way to not earn the respect of other MLB fans.

Even if the 90's-2000's Yankees didn't cheat, tarnish the sport, set horrible examples for kids all over the world, and make fools of their adult fans, they were still paid more as a team than any other club, by far.

If the Yankees cheat and spend $200 million more in a season than my favorite team, while also winning LESS games, why on earth would NY fans expect any respect at all from me? With that kind of disparity the Yankees should always make the post-season and only lose to other high payroll teams, if at all.

Using your money wisely and working hard, hahahahaha......

Old 04-22-2018, 01:26 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,335,819 times
It's a fruit of irrational egalitarianism; up until around 1965, the Yankees possessed so much money compared to most other franchises that they were able to scarf up the lion's share of the talent. The reserve clause, backed up by a specific exemption from the anti-trust laws, and later invalidated by the U. S. Supreme Court in the early Seventies, was intended to address this, but for whatever reasons, It wasn't all that effective.

But for whatever reason, Major League Baseball appears simply to have expanded to a point where imbalance in market size is not as great a problem as it once was.

Go, Tigers! go, Phillies!

Old 04-22-2018, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumby88 View Post
PED usage counts as cheating according to, um, everyone. Multiple star Yankee players have cheated and have admitted it. Pretending that didn't happen is an excellent way to not earn the respect of other MLB fans.

Even if the 90's-2000's Yankees didn't cheat, tarnish the sport, set horrible examples for kids all over the world, and make fools of their adult fans
Can you please tell me the team's that didn't cheat during this time frame? Thank you

Quote:
If the Yankees cheat and spend $200 million more in a season than my favorite team, while also winning LESS games, why on earth would NY fans expect any respect at all from me?
From you? You've made it evident that they shouldn't. But, why should they concern themselves with your respect?
And how do those actions taken by the players and the team reflect on the fans?

Old 04-22-2018, 07:25 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I never cared for the Yankees after the way they treated Wally Pipp, not only did they bench him, they made him sit on the bench for each and every one of Gehrig's games for the next 14 years
A regrettable example of how personal prejudices and urban legends spoil enjoyment of the National Pastime; the true record is linked below:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...pippwa01.shtml

And the same distortion are, regrettably, very much around today, sometimes aggravated by unjustified tension over race, or other polarizing issues.

Case in point: Jackie Robinson -- under normal conditions, he was an HOF shoe-in, no doubt about that. But his numbers were skewed by his late call-up, and that's often overlooked by partisans who don't see the wider view. But I've sometimes heard comments that Richie Ashburn's relatively long wait for his day at Cooperstown was due in part to the vicious treatment of Robinson by the Phillies -- even though Ashburn didn't reach the majors until two years later. The recent depiction of Ty Cobb as a blatant racist (interviews of Cobb at the time of Robinson's emergence, which paint a picture of a condescending, but by no means hateful attitude, are more truthful).

Simple fact is that the most passionate baseball fans start out as small boys -- and an unfortunate minority never outgrow that perspective.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-22-2018 at 08:53 AM..

Old 04-22-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
A regrettable example of how personal prejudices and urban legends spoil enjoyment of the National Pastime; the true record is linked below:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...pippwa01.shtml
I assumed it was a joke

Old 04-22-2018, 08:32 AM

4,863 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Quote:
I assumed it was a joke

Yep, I've never seen Ghengis use sarcasm before. Of course he was serious.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:34 AM

834 posts, read 528,874 times
Quote:
Can you please tell me the team's that didn't cheat during this time frame? Thank you

From you? You've made it evident that they shouldn't. But, why should they concern themselves with your respect?
And how do those actions taken by the players and the team reflect on the fans?

- The Rays had Juan Salas (52 career innings pitched), Alex Sanchez (46 hits as a Ray), and Manny Ramirez (1 hit as a Ray) suspended for PED use. Compare those monster numbers to the stats of Alez Rodriquez, Roger Clemons, Jason Giambi, Andy Pettite, Francisco Cervelli, Jim Leyritz, Melky Cabrera, Kevin Brown, Mike Stanton, Chuck Knoblauch, Gary Sheffield, David Justice, and a dozen other PED using Yankees.

Woops, almost forgot Canseco, who was both a Ray and a Yankee. Tell you what, multiply what he did for the Rays times ten and you still lose this argument.

- The reason I bring up my lack of respect for Yankee fans is because one of them created a post on this forum asking why so many people treat them horribly. I do not treat them horribly. I will not, however, pretend to respect them when they continually (and conveniently) ignore their team's cheating ways and bloated payrolls.

I'm aware that spending $100mil+ more per season than the Rays is perfectly within the rules. Not beating the Rays with that kind of advantage though sets the team and its fans up for 100% of the "horrible" treatment that they get.

Last edited by Bumby88; 04-24-2018 at 12:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball