Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 09:47 AM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,399,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I've mentioned this before I think.

Problem with paying but to much for a lot of these players is the front office/owners know that most will never amount to much. It's a hard truth but most players in A ball will never make it past AAA and a lot past AA.
You are missing the point.The MLB teams have roughly 5 guys who matter at each level of the minors. You cannot develop talent unless they are playing with a similar level of talent. The 5 guys who matter cannot play baseball with out the rest of the team.

Quote:
Should teams just payout charity $ for players they now will never amount to anything? I'm not saying I agree with this but I think that for many years teams kept thing going because of the whole local aspect of minor league teams.
Charity? Paying a person minimum wage is charity? Why do you care about what MLB has to pay to support the development of their own MLB talent?

The high draft pick SS needs a pretty high level of baseball talent on the field in order to develop. The other guys are just another cost of doing business. MLB has been hosing these guys forever.

Quote:
But now they analyze players so much they know a player probably has no chance after 1 season of pro ball.
The players who have no chance of reaching the majors are still important to the draft picks who matter to the MLB teams. They should be paid for all the hours they work and it is work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 08:04 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,772,201 times
Pursuing a professional baseball career via the Minor Leagues always reminds me of how Rock Bands get their start. Lots of traveling while staying in cheap accommodations, lousy food, crappy transportation, etc. All done with the hope that you will hone your craft and hit the big time. And mostly done in your late teens and twenties when you could be getting another career started.

But .... the Dream figures large in both. Fame, fortune, and an endless stream of willing groupies.

Old 03-26-2022, 01:12 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,753,287 times
At the end of the day, they're still getting paid actual money to.... play a game.
Most of us at that young age had deplorable standards of living.
Why starting out at the bottom of baseball is supposed to be better than starting out that the bottom of Corporation X is beyond me.
On the flip side, there's the problem of outrageous ticket prices and markups on ordinary t-shirts just because they have a logo on them all to pay for the lavish lifestyles of the owners and big-league players.
I like baseball and still watch, just can't help myself. When you think about it, it's all pretty absurd, the amount of money involved in sports.

Old 03-30-2022, 01:24 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,690,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
You are missing the point.The MLB teams have roughly 5 guys who matter at each level of the minors. You cannot develop talent unless they are playing with a similar level of talent. The 5 guys who matter cannot play baseball with out the rest of the team.

Charity? Paying a person minimum wage is charity? Why do you care about what MLB has to pay to support the development of their own MLB talent?

The high draft pick SS needs a pretty high level of baseball talent on the field in order to develop. The other guys are just another cost of doing business. MLB has been hosing these guys forever.

The players who have no chance of reaching the majors are still important to the draft picks who matter to the MLB teams. They should be paid for all the hours they work and it is work.
Pretty sure that if you really looked at the #'s of actual time "working" they are getting more than minimum wage. A game last what 3 hours? Even if they are doing work related activities for another 5 hours that's still only 8 hour work day. Especially with the clubs paying for housing now.

And I know the point you're making about playing with talent around your skill level but I still think they could get rid of teams without jeopardizing that.

Old 03-31-2022, 04:25 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,297,931 times
Quote:
Pretty sure that if you really looked at the #'s of actual time "working" they are getting more than minimum wage. A game last what 3 hours? Even if they are doing work related activities for another 5 hours that's still only 8 hour work day. Especially with the clubs paying for housing now.

And I know the point you're making about playing with talent around your skill level but I still think they could get rid of teams without jeopardizing that.
Back in the day when MiLB was set up, it was rare that a young prospect took the college route in lieu of the draft out of HS. Over the past decade the number of draft picks out of college exceeds 50 percent, especially at the early rounds. so yes, level or levels could and will eventually be cut. The number of rounds of the draft have been cut.

As far as the newly signed young foreign players, a league similar to the DR could be set up where ML orgs have joint ventures with teams.

Old 04-01-2022, 07:23 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
At the end of the day, they're still getting paid actual money to.... play a game.
Most of us at that young age had deplorable standards of living.
Why starting out at the bottom of baseball is supposed to be better than starting out that the bottom of Corporation X is beyond me.
On the flip side, there's the problem of outrageous ticket prices and markups on ordinary t-shirts just because they have a logo on them all to pay for the lavish lifestyles of the owners and big-league players.
I like baseball and still watch, just can't help myself. When you think about it, it's all pretty absurd, the amount of money involved in sports.

This^^^^^

Remember in the 70s NFL stars would still come home in the off season and work a regular job. That actually had a dual benefit, they would have a 2nd career to fall into when their playing days were over AND it kept the spending down.

MLB is a cash machine for the owners, got it.......no argument there. For any of the 3rd world guys coming to the states even measly AA pay is way better than playing ball in their home country. Lower tiers of baseball is a grind, the better the player the less time they spend there.........its not supposed to be a career down there.

I haven't watched a complete game in years, I haven't attended a regular season game in years. Every time the billionaire owners squabble with the millionaire players I just find something else to do with my time and the next season I seem to spend less time watching games.

To me: Cap players at 100 million dollar contracts. Forget the Bobby Bonilla deals or the 426 million dollar Mike Trout deals. Can you honestly argue that a guy making 100 million won't play as hard if he was making 400 million? If you just say hey this is the market price now, then what are they going to do quit? The players rarely stay superstars for more than a few years into the deals anyway. For injury/cancelled contracts then they should get 1/2. This would stop the Elsbury nonsense or atleast slow it down.

Big contracts simply pit the players against the owners. Once a competitor signs for big money then they all think they are worth big money and the agents start stirring the pot.

With this excess cash, the owners can pay the lower tier players a few bucks more and pay for their own stadiums without the need for public money!

Old 04-13-2022, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 372 times
Default Changing the Game: Establishing a fair and ethical relationship between the institution of Major League Baseball and Min

Minor League Players/Wives/Parents/Girlfriends: If you play or played in Professional Minor League Baseball, would you mind taking a few minutes to fill out a survey for my MBA Dissertation? The survey is completely anonymous! Link below: Thank you!
[url]https://survey.sogosurvey.com/r/XzvtYy[/url]

Old 04-13-2022, 04:06 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,297,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpettyjohn27 View Post
Minor League Players/Wives/Parents/Girlfriends: If you play or played in Professional Minor League Baseball, would you mind taking a few minutes to fill out a survey for my MBA Dissertation? The survey is completely anonymous! Link below: Thank you!
https://survey.sogosurvey.com/r/XzvtYy
Done

Old 04-15-2022, 08:10 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,827,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
What about the other 98% of minor leaguers?

$700/week AAA - are they crazy? For a job which, done well, cannot be done by anyone working elsewhere concurrently, simply to have the same standard of living as a kid making fries at McDs.

No Spring Training pay!

Players sleeping in conference rooms!

As Branch Rickey said: "There is something unfair at the heart of the game I love".
Then it's time to get a real job. Or, better yet a career.

At least the kid making fries at McD's is performing a service...

Old 04-16-2022, 05:12 AM

34,019 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Then it's time to get a real job. Or, better yet a career.

At least the kid making fries at McD's is performing a service...
Unlike MLB owners, the McD owner (franchise) lacks An anti-trust exemption barring all competition. I'm sure he'd like no Burger King, Wendy's, Subway sandwich shops, etc.

Your Big Mac would then be $50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball