Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 11:12 AM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
One writer at the NY Times things the O's will win the World Series this year, per this article.

Such predictions aren't worth the paper they're printed on but it is fun reading. The O's do have the best record so far in Spring Training, but we've seen that happen before then fade in the regular season.

Excerpts:

Yeah, but Atlanta is 9-12.. You expect them to either not win the NL East or not make the playoffs?

Few things matter less than a Spring Training record.

While Baltimore is a much better team than they have been.. They're probably in the most competitive division in baseball. So.. It's a situation where if they have a bad 2 week spell during the long season, it can be the difference between making the playoffs or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 04:55 PM

This is weird.. Ohtani's interpreter has been fired after incurring 4.5 million in gambling debts and transferring money from Ohtani's account to cover it.

BUT.. The initial story was that Ohtani sent the money to help his friend... Now, they say he knew nothing about it.

Obviously.. You kinda have to get that little bird in your ear saying "Hmm.. Is the interpreter covering for Ohtani?"

Interested to see how this all shakes out.

Old 03-22-2024, 08:46 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 2 hours ago)

52,699 posts, read 47,975,215 times
Default 2024 Season MLB Predictions

It's high time we make some 2024 season predictions:

Here's how I believe the teams will finish the year. Might see a few surprises along the way.

And away we go:

AMERICAN LEAGUE

East
1. Baltimore
2. New York Yankees*
3. Toronto
4. Tampa Bay
5. Boston

Central
1. Minnesota
2. Detroit*
3. Cleveland
4. Kansas City
5. Chicago White Sox

West
1. Houston
2. Seattle*
3. Texas
4. Los Angeles Angels
5. Oakland

NATIONAL LEAGUE

East
1. Atlanta
2. Philadelphia*
3. New York Mets
4. Miami
5. Washington

Central
1. St Louis
2. Chicago Cubs
3. Cincinnati
4. Milwaukee
5. Pittsburgh

West
1. Arizona
2. Los Angeles Dodgers*
3. San Francisco*
4. San Diego
5. Colorado

*Denotes Wild Card Entry

All-Star Game Winner: National

ALCS: Houston-Baltimore
NLCS: Arizona-Atlanta

AL Pennant: Houston
NL Pennant: Arizona

World Champion: Houston

And there you are.

Old 03-24-2024, 01:57 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
It's high time we make some 2024 season predictions:

Here's how I believe the teams will finish the year. Might see a few surprises along the way.

And away we go:

AMERICAN LEAGUE

East
1. Baltimore
2. New York Yankees*
3. Toronto
4. Tampa Bay
5. Boston

Central
1. Minnesota
2. Detroit*
3. Cleveland
4. Kansas City
5. Chicago White Sox

West
1. Houston
2. Seattle*
3. Texas
4. Los Angeles Angels
5. Oakland

NATIONAL LEAGUE

East
1. Atlanta
2. Philadelphia*
3. New York Mets
4. Miami
5. Washington

Central
1. St Louis
2. Chicago Cubs
3. Cincinnati
4. Milwaukee
5. Pittsburgh

West
1. Arizona
2. Los Angeles Dodgers*
3. San Francisco*
4. San Diego
5. Colorado

*Denotes Wild Card Entry

All-Star Game Winner: National

ALCS: Houston-Baltimore
NLCS: Arizona-Atlanta

AL Pennant: Houston
NL Pennant: Arizona

World Champion: Houston

And there you are.
I hope you're right.

People in 25+ other areas wouldn't like it very much, but I wouldn't mind if the Astros and the Giants played in the World Series each year (the A's are too far out).

Old 03-24-2024, 12:52 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 2 hours ago)

52,699 posts, read 47,975,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I hope you're right.

People in 25+ other areas wouldn't like it very much, but I wouldn't mind if the Astros and the Giants played in the World Series each year (the A's are too far out).

Here's the thing, RMESMH; as I see it, there are going to be three very hard divisions this year. All of those are going to see some back-and-forth come September. I see the AL East, the NL West, and the AL West this year as ultra-competitive and difficult to easily win. All three of them could each see one of three different teams that could win its respective division. And as far as the Astros go, this AL West, like last year, won't be a cakewalk by any means.

Old 03-24-2024, 06:46 PM

138 posts, read 46,222 times
A repeat of 1966 - Dodgers vs Orioles in this year's World Series.

Old 03-27-2024, 07:07 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,479,862 times
Default 2024 predictions

I'll start with the NL West first....i'll zig when others zag (meaning starting in the AL first). As usual, an asterisk (*) will denote a wildcard team, and the ampersand (&) will donate the bye teams. And in case you were wondering no I'm not doing records, way to much time to figure out the math that works out for the season total.

NL West:
1) Dodgers&
2) Giants*
3) Padres*
4) D'Backs
5) Rockies.
No doubt the Dodgers are the best in division, everyone is playing for second. I know the Padres just played 2 games, but I think the Giants are set up for more success than the Padres; they had better additions, and once Snell is ready, the Giants will pass the Padres. D'Backs should be right there as well, and the good news about the D'Backs signing Montgomery so late is he'll be way more fresh in September/October since he will basically have the first month off working up to game shape. Rockies will be one of the worst teams in the league

NL Central:
1) Reds
2) Cubs
3) Cardinals
4) Brewers
5) Pirates.
I' definitely buying stock in the Reds as a division winner, there's so much young talent both in the majors already, but also in the minors, where they can easily trade from to plug holes which I think they will. They just missed the playoffs last year.....they'll get there and than some this year. The Cubs really did David Ross dirty, but I understand if Counsell falls into your lap you have to do that, and he'll be an instant upgrade over Ross. For the Cardinals, it will be a better season than last year, and they have a nice mix of young stars vs. old veterans, but the starting pitching is really meh and I still think they should trade Goldschmidt to free up first base for Jordan Walker. Walker needs to play but the OF is really not for him. The SP though, and the non moves after basically Thanksgiving will be the real reason this team doesn't make the playoffs. Brewers without Counsell and Burnes will take a step back, and the Pirates will be competitive but a last place team.

NL East:
1) Braves&
2) Phillies*
3) Mets
4) Marlins
5) Nats.
This looks like a pretty consensus 1-5. Braves are the class of the division, even losing the last 2 years to the Phillies in the playoffs. Phillies are definitely the best of the rest. Mets are still going to be a competitive team under Cohen but probably not good enough for a top 2 finish or a Wildcard, and the Marlins are probably in better shape than the Nats are, but both will have rough years I believe.

NL Wildcard:
#6 Padres over the #3 Reds 2-0. Padres pitching will win this series.
#4 Phillies over the #5 Giants 2-1. Phillies better rounded than the Giants, plsu home field advantage will win it for the Phillies.

NLDS:
#1 Dodgers over the #4 Phillies 3-1. Dodgers may drop a game, but this team is too good.
#6 Padres over the #3 Braves 3-2. Padres will get the advantage of having been playing while the Braves sat around at home, and even with Cease and Musgrove starting the WC series they still send out Yu Darvish in game 1 and than can come back with Cease, Musgrove, and Darvish in games 3-5. That's gonna be tough for the Braves. Especially in a game 5 at home; it's not like Atlanta has ever lost a NLDS game 5 or a winner take all game 5 at home before

NLCS #1 Dodgers over #6 Padres 4-1.
In a rivalry, you can never count out the underdog and you throw records out the window, but the Padres definitely won't have the SP advantage here, especially if the prior series goes to 5 games.

AL East:
1) Yankees&
2) Orioles*
3) Rays
4) Blue Jays
5) Red Sox.
yah I know everyone is all but penning in the Orioles as division winner and rightfully so coming off their 2023 season, and the Yankees injury to Cole, but how will the Orioles handle expectations. Cole should be back sometime by mid May, and assuming Judge & Soto haven't forgotten how to hit, they should keep the Yankees in the mix until Cole returns. I've learned to never count the Rays out but at some point the pixie dust magic is going to wear off and I have a feeling this could be it. A lot of injuries coupled with some trades could be it. An important year for John Schneider and the Jays after the team got blasted for pulling Berios in the playoffs, and have a lot of figures coming up on impending FA; they will probably never do it, but if Vladdy is having close to a .245/.350/.950 35 home run, 115 RBI season, but the team is treading water because the pitching sucks, and it's obvious the pitching isn't going to take them anywhere, do you think they pull the plug on Vladdy and move him?? I don't think so, but if they want to maximize a return they should at least entertain the thought. And paging the Red Sox?? Hello, anyone home?? We need to put John Henry and company on a milk carton.

AL Central:
1) Twins
2) Guardians
3) Royals
4) Tigers
5) White Sox.
Quite possibly the most entertaining division; The Twins have a solid jump on the top spot, but spots 2-5 could be anyone's race. I think the Guardians still are more positioned than the Royals or Tigers. Royals signed a bevy of serviceable players this winter to augent the Bobby Witt extension, and the Tigers rebuild may be coming to an end, but I still think the White Sox have a lot of work to do.

AL West:
1) Astros&
2) Mariners*
3) Rangers*
4) Angels
5) A's.
I picked the Astros over the Mariners and the Rangers because of pedigree....you pick them to win the division until they don't, and went with the Mariners over the Rangers because the Mariners look to be in more good health than the Rangers are at least to start. Angels without Ohtani still won't make the playoffs, and nothing good will come from the A's in potentially their last season in Oakland.

AL Wildcard:
#6 Rangers over #3 Twins 2-0. Much like the Padres, the Rangers pitching who should be back and well rested in October after starting the season on the IL will give the the win over the Twins.
#4 Mariners over #5 Orioles 2-1. This could be a potential ALCS in a short wildcard series. This will be a great series, and you'd have to think whoever comes out a loser will be incredibly disappointed, but I think the Mariners end up with a better record, and have home field in this series, and that's the difference in this tightly, contested series.

ALDS:
#1 Astros over the #4 Mariners 3-2. Seattle will be rocking this series much like 2022, but like 2022 the Astros will come out on top.
#2 Yankees over #6 Rangers 3-0. Rangers will have to use their better pitchers to close out the Twins, and they won't have enough in the tank to stop DJLM, Judge & Soto.

ALCS:
#2 Yankees over #1 Astros 4-2. Forget Yankees vs. Red Sox....THIS is the premier rivalry in the AL, but you could say each team has to win something in order for it to be a rivalry. The Astros have been beating the Yankees like a pinata in the playoffs, but the Astros have what the Yankees want to have....pennants and titles. In order to be the best you have to beat the best, and the Yankees will do just that in Houston.

World Series:
#1 NL Dodgers over #1 AL Yankees 4-2. The dream matchup for FOX and the media in October; Dodgers vs. Yankees; California vs. New York; Los Angeles vs. New York City; East coast vs. West Coast. The only thing that would make it more enjoyable for FOX would be if the series go 7 games, but the Dodgers finally get that elusive full season championship and put any doubters to rest.

Old 03-28-2024, 08:58 AM

I won't make predictions, because.. Well, because I'm biased. I'm a Phillies fan.. So.. Can't get that out of me to be impartial. And as a Phillies fan.. I think 7express is an idiot. lol.

I can talk a BIT about the AL though.. And.. There.. I'm with 7express.. Baltimore is in a big transition year. New ownership often makes a difference, even though it really will have no effect until next year. But.. the biggest thing.. They have Kimbrell as closer. He will NOT be the closer at the end of the year. He'll have moments where he looks like his old self.. I's all a house of cards.. And it will come crumbling down.. Just a matter of when. And.. While I doubt he'll cost them more than 2 or 3 games.. Those 2 or 3 games could be the difference in October.

I'd be fine if they had Kimbrell and he was going to be used in a 'closer by committee' situation.. Or if he were a setup man.. But.. I don't think he has the mental toughness or the ability to be a teams full time closer anymore.

I don't think they'll be bad or anything., Though I will say.. I would not be surprised for them to miss the playoffs.. Just due to the strong competition. I mean something like 86 to 88 wins and missing the playoffs.

At the end of the day, I do expect them to make the playoffs.. Just.. won't be overly surprised if they don't.

Old 03-28-2024, 10:46 AM

3,979 posts, read 2,359,295 times
I am a Mets fan and I think Lebonte18 and 7express need to say no to drugs. Seriously, I am just hoping the Mets can be competitive this season. Play ball!

Old 03-28-2024, 11:39 AM

26,220 posts, read 49,066,237 times
Opening Day!

I have a necktie with a baseball scene that I used to wear to the office on Opening Day. . . .
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball