Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 11:33 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times

Advertisements

I read about these two about a month ago on another baseball forum. Apparently there was an Indian reality show called Million Dollar Arm, and the premise was to find an Indian kid/young man who could throw a baseball over 90 mph, and they'd win the prize of $100k US and a tryout with mlb. Now, keep in mind 99% of the guys who tried out for the show had never even seen a baseball, let alone pitched before. Suprisingly, the Pirates signed the winner and the runner up. Needless to say, they are the longest of longshots, but think of the potential new market if they did somehow make it. India is home to over a billion people. This to me, is really cool.

Yahoo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 09:14 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
It's also another sign that the writing is on the wall for the game of baseball. Major league prospects as the result of a television show? Please, let this never, ever happen again!

Old 02-18-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
It's also another sign that the writing is on the wall for the game of baseball. Major league prospects as the result of a television show? Please, let this never, ever happen again!
I couldn't disagree with you more. Who cares how they're discovered? if their talented, they're talented. The winners of American Idol are some of the most successful artists in the world, so disqualifying them simply because they were part of a show is really short sighted. Not to mention the true underdog element here. If they do make it, you're opening up an otherwise stagnant game to a potential new audience of 1 billion plus people.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:03 PM

When baseball teams begin to stock their rosters based on someone who appeared on a television show, the sport will have become nothing more than a spinoff of professional wrestling. At that point, you will have to pay close attention, or you'll miss it plunging off the deep end into oblivion.

You are not taking into account any of the years of work it takes to make it to the major leagues. Anyone who was good enough to be considered for a professional baseball player did not need "reality TV" to get them in.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
When baseball teams begin to stock their rosters based on someone who appeared on a television show, the sport will have become nothing more than a spinoff of professional wrestling. At that point, you will have to pay close attention, or you'll miss it plunging off the deep end into oblivion.

You are not taking into account any of the years of work it takes to make it to the major leagues. Anyone who was good enough to be considered for a professional baseball player did not need "reality TV" to get them in.
UGHHH!!! Wrestling is FAKE. Hello!? If they're good enough to make it, it will be on their talent, not wheter or not they can do a piledriver. They are the longest of longshots. They're from India, they don't play baseball there. However, as I've stated before, if and it is a huge if, they made it, imagine the marketing potential. I don't get how you don't get this. There is nothing but positive from this.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:02 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
UGHHH!!! Wrestling is FAKE. Hello!? If they're good enough to make it, it will be on their talent, not wheter or not they can do a piledriver. They are the longest of longshots. They're from India, they don't play baseball there. However, as I've stated before, if and it is a huge if, they made it, imagine the marketing potential. I don't get how you don't get this. There is nothing but positive from this.
You nailed it!!!This was done to open up the Indian market.Think of how much money is brought in currently because of Hideki Matsui and Ichiro and now also in Taiwan (Wang).With such a high population and for the thought of merchandising and new revenue this is a gold mine and another stepping stone for expanding baseball to the rest of the world.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
You nailed it!!!This was done to open up the Indian market.Think of how much money is brought in currently because of Hideki Matsui and Ichiro and now also in Taiwan (Wang).With such a high population and for the thought of merchandising and new revenue this is a gold mine and another stepping stone for expanding baseball to the rest of the world.
And if so, then you'll see major league baseball scouts buying tickets for destinations throughout India. You certainly won't ever get any complaints from me about that. My problem is with so-called "reality television."

Old 02-18-2009, 09:02 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
And if so, then you'll see major league baseball scouts buying tickets for destinations throughout India. You certainly won't ever get any complaints from me about that. My problem is with so-called "reality television."
The problem with reality TV is that it seems to get dumber and dumber but anything that promotes people getting off their as_ is fine by me.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:37 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,468,414 times
Unlike the Japanese, Indians have no interest in baseball whatsoever, so I doubt that signing these two guys will do anything to advance Major League Baseball in that country.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Unlike the Japanese, Indians have no interest in baseball whatsoever, so I doubt that signing these two guys will do anything to advance Major League Baseball in that country.
In all likelihood, you're right. But before we can even get to a discussion of what these signings could do for baseball in India, let's see if either of these kids even gets close to the major leagues.

Face it: the odds are astronomically against them. Yeah, they appeared on a "reality" TV program and threw a baseball 100mph. There's an encyclopedia full of kids who could throw a baseball fast. Occasionally, one or two of them gets as far as the major leagues. Then some genuine reality sets in: they can throw with blazing speed, but they can only manage to throw fastballs. Even a mediocre batter can handle a fastball, particularly when he knows it's coming.

The question is not whether or not they can throw. The question is whether or not they can pitch. Throwing is not pitching. Well, the Pirates were willing to take a chance, and try to catch lightning in a bottle. We'll see what happens!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball